Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 11:29 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,386 times

Advertisements

I’m originally from MA and I’m contemplating moving back. My job requires me to be in VT and the Adirondack area of NY each week. Needless to say, very sleepy areas. I’d like to move to the Boston metro area, preferably just north of Boston, to avoid the rush hour traffic south of the city. Since I’d only be spending like 4 nights a week in MA, Boston and some of the high end surrounding towns don’t make sense from a cost of living standpoint. Any suggestions of good places to live that aren’t Boston expensive? I’ve always liked Watertown and Charlestown but I’m sure the COL is close to par with Boston. Any other suggestions? Woburn, Medford, etc.? Other towns that I might not be aware of that are within 20 minutes of Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 11:32 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
What do you consider "affordable"?

Old 08-30-2020, 12:56 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Re

Winthrop? Woburn is probably a good option as well.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
If you're going to be spending considerable amounts of time in the Adirondacks and VT, you should consider the Worcester area---much cheaper...

Old 08-30-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If you're going to be spending considerable amounts of time in the Adirondacks and VT, you should consider the Worcester area---much cheaper...
That’s a possibility. Worcester isn’t a bad place and only an hour from Boston. I just prefer the Boston metro area. I guess affordable is maybe 2k or less for a 1 bedroom apt for the time being.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:24 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I’m originally from MA and I’m contemplating moving back. My job requires me to be in VT and the Adirondack area of NY each week. Needless to say, very sleepy areas. I’d like to move to the Boston metro area, preferably just north of Boston, to avoid the rush hour traffic south of the city. Since I’d only be spending like 4 nights a week in MA, Boston and some of the high end surrounding towns don’t make sense from a cost of living standpoint. Any suggestions of good places to live that aren’t Boston expensive? I’ve always liked Watertown and Charlestown but I’m sure the COL is close to par with Boston. Any other suggestions? Woburn, Medford, etc.? Other towns that I might not be aware of that are within 20 minutes of Boston?
The big wildcard here is "within 20 minutes of Boston". Heck, there's parts of Boston that aren't even within 20 minutes of Boston. If your idea of Boston is up by TD Garden/North End, it can take 20+ minutes from the South End to walk/T there; conversely if your idea is Fenway, someone in the North End isn't going to get there in under 20.

If you're looking for a town that doesn't feel rural but is a reasonable train/car ride in to downtown, you're not far off with a Woburn, Medford or Malden. All are along 93 so you have your easy-ish path up to VT.

Charlestown (at least the buyer's market) is about on par with the cheaper parts of the South End now so I wouldn't expect rents there to be much better. Watertown is right there but it's also a world away. The T doesn't go there so you're either driving in or taking a bus to Kenmore.

It's worth noting $2k for a 1 bedroom is in the ballpark for even Boston, so that's not Boston expensive. You can get a 2 bedroom for $2600 in some of the better neighborhoods of Boston today; it's not luxury with an elevator, walk-in closets, and a roof deck, but it's doable.

Another thing that may make sense in your situation is roommates. With a 4 night/week rotation, your roommate isn't going to be bothering you 7 days a week, and you'll have someone local on the days you're not around for random housekeeping like package deliveries. And it will significantly reduce the cost of living aspect since you're now splitting expenses and rent.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:08 PM

604 posts, read 561,717 times
Watertown is not a world away. Pre covid I was commuting to Copley and before that South Station via Watertown Yard express busses. Very convenient and I actually get a seat on the bus, unlike all you step hangers taking the trains. There’s also the every 10 minutes service to Harvard Square along mt auburn. By car, you can jump on Soldiers Field Road or the mass pike pretty easily and be downtown in 20 minutes.

This falls down at rush hour if we get back to pre covid traffic levels. You can feel trapped in your area, but that goes for anywhere inside 128 I reckon. But even so, all your needs on a typical weeknight will be easily met in town. And depending where in town you are, Waltham, Newton Cambridge and Brighton are right next door.

All this said, I wouldn’t describe Watertown as an “Affordable Town” and I agree with the Worcester suggestion, an exciting city with convenient access to VT. Heck you can even find VT “whale” craft beers on tap in the Woo.

Last edited by BosYuppie; 08-30-2020 at 07:21 PM..

Old 08-30-2020, 07:21 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
If my territory was VT and the Adirondacks, I’d consider living in Burlington, VT.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
If my territory was VT and the Adirondacks, I’d consider living in Burlington, VT.
I live here now. Very boring city. Watertown and Charlestown seem appealing. Possibly Woburn as well.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:23 PM

604 posts, read 561,717 times
I don’t see the appeal of Charlestown myself. From what I’ve seen there isn’t actually all that much to do compared to Cambridge, Somerville, or some other neighborhoods of Boston itself. Also if you’re going to be on the road, you’ll want reliable and convenient parking which I think you’d pay a price for in Charlestown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston