Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 07:16 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times

Advertisements

I remember a time when Boylston Street had a much more middle class feeling than recently. No Tesla window front, no Mandarin Oriental, no Gucci, and no Trade Joes but there was a Burger King right around either where the Apple Store or the Crate and Barrel is and there was a plain old Star Market fronting the Prudential Center. What I'm trying to say is that places evolve over time and it's too early to cry doom and gloom just yet. Who knows, maybe the area will become more middle class again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 08:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
I miss the Ground Round that was in the back of the Pru. We snuck off for a few workday liquid lunches there. Abe & Louies was more fun wizen it was JC Hillarys. IMO, the Mandarin Development was a setback for that end of Boylston. It really darkened the street and made that area feel more like the financial district.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:12 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Felt like this belongs here: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...4i0ihWidZuEiK8

Old 09-05-2020, 10:39 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I remember a time when Boylston Street had a much more middle class feeling than recently. No Tesla window front, no Mandarin Oriental, no Gucci, and no Trade Joes but there was a Burger King right around either where the Apple Store or the Crate and Barrel is and there was a plain old Star Market fronting the Prudential Center. What I'm trying to say is that places evolve over time and it's too early to cry doom and gloom just yet. Who knows, maybe the area will become more middle class again.
Again in the past 20 years, rents have doubled (including Inflation) and Liquor licenses cost 500k now. Its impossible to even open a restaurant and NOT sell $18-20 drinls. Boston is turning sterile really fast. The Nightclubs went in the late 80s-90s, and since then everything has taken a slow path to boredom and mediocrity.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:35 AM

604 posts, read 561,717 times
Sure we lost some classics but for every Sunset Grill we lost, we gained a Trillium and a Night Shift Lovejoy Wharf etc. very cool places that 20somethings are flocking to en masse. The city influx of the past 20 years also brought a ton of life to the fringe neighborhoods like Somerville, Cambridge, JP.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:11 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Sure we lost some classics but for every Sunset Grill we lost, we gained a Trillium and a Night Shift Lovejoy Wharf etc. very cool places that 20somethings are flocking to en masse. The city influx of the past 20 years also brought a ton of life to the fringe neighborhoods like Somerville, Cambridge, JP.
Generally I’d have to agree while central Boston has priced out a lot interesting stuff (id definitely include Cambridge in that) I think there’s definitely more activity not just in JP or Somerville, but certainly more to ‘do’ now in Dorchester Roxbury Roslindale Eastie Chelsea Everett and to a lesser extent Mattapan.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:32 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Again in the past 20 years, rents have doubled (including Inflation) and Liquor licenses cost 500k now. Its impossible to even open a restaurant and NOT sell $18-20 drinls. Boston is turning sterile really fast. The Nightclubs went in the late 80s-90s, and since then everything has taken a slow path to boredom and mediocrity.
Agreed. That's why I don't dine in the Back Bay anymore. No more $6.99 all you can eat buffets, no more $1.50 pizza slices, no more burger, fries, and drink for under $5. If I am in the area, I'd either duck in the T and ride off somewhere else for food or bring a homemade bag lunch and eat it at Copley Square's park benches. They even took away the food court at Prudential Center. The only thing spruced up that might stay that way is the Boston Public Library which is a far cry from the smelly, bedraggled, drunkard laden mess that I had to frequent as a high school student back in the 90's. Call me old fashioned if you may but it's better than shelling out a hefty chunk of your income to live an unsustainable lifestyle and pretend your keeping up with the wealthy newcomers who might not even appreciate what the City truly could have offered.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Yeah but most of these people who utilize The Trilliums and such, are 26-35 yuppies, usually caucasian. There is a big lack of diversity and classes in Boston's new bars that opened.

And frankly, they are kind of boring and pretty similar. I live the beer garden scene, but there's only so many times I want a $9 beer with the same type of people.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Agreed. That's why I don't dine in the Back Bay anymore. No more $6.99 all you can eat buffets, no more $1.50 pizza slices, no more burger, fries, and drink for under $5. If I am in the area, I'd either duck in the T and ride off somewhere else for food or bring a homemade bag lunch and eat it at Copley Square's park benches. They even took away the food court at Prudential Center. The only thing spruced up that might stay that way is the Boston Public Library which is a far cry from the smelly, bedraggled, drunkard laden mess that I had to frequent as a high school student back in the 90's. Call me old fashioned if you may but it's better than shelling out a hefty chunk of your income to live an unsustainable lifestyle and pretend your keeping up with the wealthy newcomers who might not even appreciate what the City truly could have offered.
Yeah the reputation Boston has outside of Boston, besides being beautiful and awesome and clean.. is it's dull dining and club/bar scene.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:52 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Hardly shocked to hear bars closing, being shut down for 5+ months will do that for ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston