Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:13 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times

Advertisements

south boston, chestnut hill, arlington even J.P. the pond area I vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
You didn't say how old your kids are, but if they're anywhere near high school age (or you're reasonably sure you'll stay until they are), I would fight tooth and nail to get them into Brookline High. It is one of the best public, non-charter high schools in the country. I go to a local college and have many friends who went there and they are all very intelligent and driven kids. The school has an amazing foreign language program with more languages than the average high school and the average SAT is over 1200- which is really something for a school where nearly everyone takes the exam. I've heard lots of diplomats who come to Boston send their kids there. Generally I'm in the camp of "you only get out of it what you put into it" in terms of where people go to schools- but there are just amazing opportunities at Brookline High for kids who choose to take them.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:19 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdotjaydot View Post
I've lived in MA for a long time, and honestly...its "slim pickings" when it comes to nice areas around boston.
I disagree entirely. In fact I would say in all of metro Boston, there are only a few spots that are not so nice. Those would be:

Chelsea.
Most of Revere.
Half of Lynn.
Brockton.
Lawrence.
Eastie.
Everett.
Some of Charlestown.
Most of the south side of Boston.

Everything else varies between good to fabulous.

Good = Brighton, Allston, Fenway, Southie, South End, Medford, Malden, Waltham, Needham, Framingham, Natick, Saugus, Milton, Randolph, Quincy Weymouth, Salem, the Cape, the North Shore, everything else is all good.

Fab = Downtown, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Brookline, Newton, Wellesley, Weston, Arlington, Belmont, Marblehead, Swampscott, Newburyport, Cape Ann

Here's the bad parts of mass in RED. Oberall, not too much, and even these areas are livable. I should have marked Fitchburg too I suppose.

http://www.mediamax.com/colek98/Hosted/mass.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-05-2008, 12:21 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
I guess your little red pen ran out before you could circle New Bedford and Fall River? There are many more undesirable areas than you listed. Some of your so-called "good" areas aren't really all that great (places like Randolph which is full of crime). Your fabulous list is way too incomplete.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:01 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I guess your little red pen ran out before you could circle New Bedford and Fall River? There are many more undesirable areas than you listed. Some of your so-called "good" areas aren't really all that great (places like Randolph which is full of crime). Your fabulous list is way too incomplete.
Sharon, almost got there, is not so great.

J.P. poor, but does have some good-Roslindale, parts, are good- real estate
is take a chance and look to the rainbow? you may be in a mega rich place
and hate it-why-you just do fit the profile. any the greats do come, and then fade. it is the real people.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:52 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
What you think the there's something wrong with the town that has the Lizzy Borden Motel? Lol, ok so I missed a few spots, but really FR & NB are NBD. I worked in FR for years at CMH and though the town was a little worn down but generally sweet. Not scared of NB either really. So even if I added all you said it's still just a few spots.

Regarding the fab list, well yeah, but I was just spinning off the obvious ones.

Of them all, Marblehead is my fave.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I had not considered places as far as Marblehead. But I've now taken a look and it seems near-perfect. Lovely town, great houses for decent prices. As far as I can tell, the commute to Boston is about 45-50 minutes--does that sound right? Is Marblehead a place where liberal, "artsy", non-New Englanders would feel comfortable and welcome? Or is it more conservative? I read that the schools are good--true?

Also, how are the schools in Cambridge? Does it vary from area to area, or is it one system? Thanks!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Marblehead is a "can't get there from here town" it is beautiful but there are no highways near there and it can be a pita to get in and out of. Swampscott is slightly better because at least there is a commuter rail stop.

As for Cambridge schools we were very happy there. Lots of opportunity and lots of options. Cambridge doesn't have neighborhood schools and you apply to a lottery to get a school. Each school tends to have a theme whether it is montessori, core-knowledge, progressive, multigrade classrooms, spanish immersian, etc. Cambridge's test scores have gotten better but there is a large contingent who don't necessarily agree to teaching to the test and a significant low SES. That said Harvard and MIT professors send their kids to the public schools in Cambridge, as do other highly educated professionals. The most important aspect in your child's education is "you" if you are actively involved they will thrive anywhere and if you aren't they can flounder at even the best school.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
My suggestions:

Huron Village in Cambridge
Central Square in Cambridge
Davis Square in Somerville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston