Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 09:01 AM

875 posts, read 663,314 times

Advertisements

Buying or renting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,356 times
Renting. 2 br for $1,900. Laundry in building though, no idea how that works and it doesn't show in the virtual tour.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:36 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Just a small sampling:

Three shot on Hammond St. in September, one dead.

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/2...y-one-critical

Major gang sweep (one of many over the years) in 2016. The "Lenox Street Boys", yep.

https://www.universalhub.com/2016/le...-string-sweeps

We're not talking small time stuff here OP, it's the real deal. I would take a hard pass.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:53 PM

17,680 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Warning: video contains language that some people may find offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgXqE-36OH0

Old 11-08-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Warning: video contains language that some people may find offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgXqE-36OH0
You can't fix stupid.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:20 AM

59 posts, read 273,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's the ghetto.
Didn’t know we still have this ignorance in Boston.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunit00 View Post
Didn’t know we still have this ignorance in Boston.

I think OP has been given a pretty good run down, outside of those who I suspect may have ulterior motives for propping up real estate values in certain neighborhoods.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:18 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

I think OP has been given a pretty good run down, outside of those who I suspect may have ulterior motives for propping up real estate values in certain neighborhoods.
Not sure who you're going at with that last part there.

I'll just say the entire SW corridor was considered a great place to get mugged and shot 25 years ago and now it's wall-to-wall $1,000/square foot luxury condos and parks. It went from a place the old townies avoided to a place the now-displaced old townies complain about because yuppies priced them out of their own city.

Northern Lower Roxbury is today what the corridor was 25 years ago, and even today there's new development and renewal beginning to happen on the edges of that area. The piano factory is luxury condos, there's mid-rise development along Tremont all the way down into JP, and as soon as the city figures out how to clean up methadone mile, the sky becomes the limit.

Dudl..er, Nubian square's being built up already, and even E Lenox is seeing some action:

https://www.universalhub.com/2020/de...oxbury-parking

Old 11-09-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Not sure who you're going at with that last part there.

I'll just say the entire SW corridor was considered a great place to get mugged and shot 25 years ago and now it's wall-to-wall $1,000/square foot luxury condos and parks. It went from a place the old townies avoided to a place the now-displaced old townies complain about because yuppies priced them out of their own city.

Northern Lower Roxbury is today what the corridor was 25 years ago, and even today there's new development and renewal beginning to happen on the edges of that area. The piano factory is luxury condos, there's mid-rise development along Tremont all the way down into JP, and as soon as the city figures out how to clean up methadone mile, the sky becomes the limit.

Dudl..er, Nubian square's being built up already, and even E Lenox is seeing some action:

https://www.universalhub.com/2020/de...oxbury-parking
LOL I hope you don't mean Roxbury Crossing, Jackson Square when you are referring to the SW corridor?

As for "cleaning up methadone mile", I'm afraid to tell you that element of Boston is there to stay and without another place to go (it doesn't) I would hold onto those speculation dollars.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:30 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I know Baltimore well. Comparing Baltimore to this section of Boston is naive in my view. Other than the yuppie enclave that is Inner Harbor, Baltimore is a hundred times worse. Just because a particular section of the city hasn't been gentrified to the extent that it has driven all the lower-middle income residents out, doesn't imply ghetto. In addition to the projects, that neighborhood is home to many moderate-income residents including many local college students. As I said, there is a mix of criminal activity, city noise, addiction and other disorder. It's by no means a ghetto. If you want to call the nearby Lennox Street development a ghetto, I would probably go along with that. The entire neighborhood? No. The private real estate alone could hardly be described as "slums" which would be characteristic of a true ghetto. I suppose it would be better if it were all gentrified so all the moderate income residents are displaced by yuppies and strollers and pet stores and CVS? That would be okay? As I alluded to in my first post, it's not a paradise--there are none in Boston--but it depends on the building and it's specific characteristics along with what the tenant wants and/or is willing to live with and can afford. If you need a shiny and yuppified neighborhood littered with chain stores and sameness, this isn't it.
Bro this part of Boston isn't Baltimore but ghettos have very different intensity, cultures, and features. in literally on the block in Baltimore and this part of Boston. I know exactly what the issues are. Ghetto has a negative connotation that fits Baltimore north Avenue better than Tremont street 1000% but by definition its a place where people have been funneled to or are forced to/restricted to live there. This describes a large portion of the Upper South End/Lower Roxbury area to a tee. Due to the public housing all around. Add to this the homeless and gangbanger patrolling Ramsay Park into the wee wee hours of the morning then yea. But id lives there. It's a desirable and pretty hood but a hood nonetheless. Real estate values there compare to real estate on Appleton Street or South Boston tells the story.

BTW much more of Baltimore is Gentrified than the Inner Harbor. The inner harbor itself is gross and on a major decline with its empty pavillions, dirty water, and teenage loiterers.

Try Harbor East, Fells Point, Canton, Highlandotwn, Otterbein, Locust Point, Hampden, Bolton Hill, Guilford, Roland Park, Federal Hill, Butchers Hill, Riverside, Ednor Gardens-Lakeside, Tuscany-Canterbury, Homewood etc etc. Some very nice parts of Baltimore- nicer than the area were talking about in Boston. They're definitely nicer than msot of Roxbury/Dorchester.

The fact that you're not acknowledging these areas makes me think perhaps you dont know Baltimore all that well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston