Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times

Advertisements

I live in Brookline and don't notice a preponderance of college students or orthodox jews, just a whole bunch of different kinds of people.

I guess it all depends on what neighborhood you live in. I love it here. I can't speak to the available man situation, though.

If you're considering Newton, what about Wellesley? I adore those VISITING that fancy yummy suburb--great shopping, food stores, beautiful trees. If there's a nice condo village there you might meet the very people you're searching for. Very plush living style. Brookline gets a little earthy-crunchy-grungy-worn around the edges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 AM

24 posts, read 110,277 times
I lived in Brookline Village in the mid-90's and it was a mix of college kids and families. Brookline is very Jewish, but that never mattered to me. What mattered was how militant the cops were. They would ticket/tow for anything, but at least they did not make up moving violations like their Boston brother/sisters.

When I moved to Brighton (Comm. Ave and Chestnut Hill Ave. area) I was amazed at the number of Orthodox Jews that were in the area. They were never a problem though. The college students were the problem.

I lived in West Roxbury for 2 years and loved it. West Roxbury is a great place for families and singles (out of college). Lots of stuff to do and most things fairly close by.

I left West Roxbury to buy a house in Roslindale. Roslindale used to be a scary place to live. It has become much nicer over the years and is a viable alternative to more expensive areas in Boston.

If I had it to do all over again, I would pick either West Roxbury or Dedham (because of the schools). Dedham is the next town over from West Roxbury/Roslindale.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:39 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
West Roxbury will cost you less than Brookline, Newton, or Dedham. Being in the city of Boston, people with kids avoid it due to the schools. If you have no kids, it is great. It is also fairly easy to get in town.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:32 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
All of the places mentioned above - Brookline, Newton, Wellesley, Dedham, Roslindale, West Roxbury, and 90% of Jamaica Plain, are very safe places. Newton was listed as one of the top ten safest cities in the US in a recent survey. That said, all of the above places are pricier than some other places because they are very safe and pleasant, with Roslindale and West Roxbury being the least expensive.

There are plenty of pleasant parks and ponds in that entire area, ranging from Jamaica Pond and the Arnold Arboretum within Boston's city limits to numerous parks in Newton and Wellesley along the Charles River. Public transportation may be a problem though in case you need it. There is only one rapid transit line and one commuter rail line serving Newton (the latter also runs through Wellesley) and only one commuter rail line running through Roslindale and West Roxbury (both also have numerous bus routes fedding into rapid transit). Depending on the particluar section, some parts of Brookline are not close to public transit either. Only Jamaica Plain is transit oriented.

Since you do not want to live near college kids, I would not look at Allston, Brighton, Mission Hill, Fenway, Cambridge, and Somerville.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:39 PM

7 posts, read 33,196 times
Default Brookline, MA

I am considering Brookline as a possible residence, but after reading some of these threads, I may have to rethink. My husband ( a professional) and I have one elementary school child. We consider ourselves somewhat religious and accept all other religions. We like the fact that Brookline has a lot in the way of different ethicnic restaurants and people as well. We are well traveled people and have lived in and traveled to different countries. My concern has to do with what was mentioned in a previous thread regarding religious and or ethnic cliques. Are there any other Brookline residents who have noticed this? Also, please tell me the pros and cons of this area.

Thanks to all who reply!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
All of the places mentioned above - Brookline, Newton, Wellesley, Dedham, Roslindale, West Roxbury, and 90% of Jamaica Plain, are very safe places. Newton was listed as one of the top ten safest cities in the US in a recent survey. That said, all of the above places are pricier than some other places because they are very safe and pleasant, with Roslindale and West Roxbury being the least expensive.

There are plenty of pleasant parks and ponds in that entire area, ranging from Jamaica Pond and the Arnold Arboretum within Boston's city limits to numerous parks in Newton and Wellesley along the Charles River. Public transportation may be a problem though in case you need it. There is only one rapid transit line and one commuter rail line serving Newton (the latter also runs through Wellesley) and only one commuter rail line running through Roslindale and West Roxbury (both also have numerous bus routes fedding into rapid transit). Depending on the particluar section, some parts of Brookline are not close to public transit either. Only Jamaica Plain is transit oriented.

Since you do not want to live near college kids, I would not look at Allston, Brighton, Mission Hill, Fenway, Cambridge, and Somerville.

Good luck!
Mission Hill, is one of my most favorite places. B4 the rest! West Roxbury, chestnut hill, and yes, the dream home will be costly!
If you make, in Boston over 100,000 take out taxes, etc., Newton, is great, etc., Weston,also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston