Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,456 times

Advertisements

I'll be attending grad school this summer and classes will be held in downtown Boston. I'm not too familiar with the Boston metro area and pertinent neighboring towns, so I thought to ask knowledgeable members here. I'd like to rent a one-bedroom apartment in an area very accessible to the T (to a reasonable extent, distance from downtown Boston is irrelevant as long as the T is available). Other qualifications:

I'd like to spend $600-$800 per month renting a non-crappy place (let me know if my budget is too low).

The area should be safe and self-sufficient in that grocery stores, little shops, eateries and such will be within walkable reach. Affordable cost of living (food prices, among others) is a definite plus.

I'm an international student, and I'd prefer a diverse neigborhood (filled with foreigners of various backgrounds and youngsters like myself - I'm 21). However, diversity isn't my biggest need and I welcome all options.

Out of reach? Too little of a budget? Better ways of cutting it? Please let me know. I'm checking out apartmentfinders.com and other online resources, getting some okay deals, but I'm not too sure as to the overall quality of neighborhoods vs cost of living vs T accessibility. If you need to know anything else please let me know. Thanks a bunch for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
your budget is too low. for a non crappy 1bed, you need at least $1K, if not closer to $1200 (of course, this depends on what your definition of non crappy is). you could possibly find stuff apts under $1k in area like Revere, Lynn, and East Boston, but these areas don't really fulfill your other requirements

if you're willing to rent a room and share and apartment, then your options open up dramatically (you could rent a room almost anywhere in the city for $600-800)

Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Eevee is right. $800 might get you a studio. Better idea would be to look for other students to share an apartment with. Look at Boston.com for room to rent or apartments to share. Tell us what school you're going to and we'll suggest the right neighborhood.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:26 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
I wonder if house sitting or work as a nanny would be an alternative. One may get free room+board... may even get paid..

Old 05-05-2008, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,456 times
Default Hello All.

Thanks for your replies. So, from what I gather, virtually all 1-br apartments within the T area will cost over $1000? Does this usually include utilities or am I going to have to spend more on heating and/or gas?

I'll be attending Northeastern, BTW. Guess I'll have to start looking for that special roommate then...

Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonhopeful View Post
Thanks for your replies. So, from what I gather, virtually all 1-br apartments within the T area will cost over $1000? Does this usually include utilities or am I going to have to spend more on heating and/or gas?

I'll be attending Northeastern, BTW. Guess I'll have to start looking for that special roommate then...
Maybe in the far out reaches on the MBTA you could dig something up, but you're better off in town. I live right behind Northeastern. You'll love it here - in town is better than out. be a resident Bostonian, not a commuting Lynnian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston