Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 07:34 PM

23,085 posts, read 18,228,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lol at this thread. Y’all give me so much cultural insight...and laughs.

It’ll be interesting to see how long you can remain mad at stuff thats 100% inconsequential to your own lives...or how long you can be mad at shifting cultural norms. I’d imagine this is somewhat conversations amongst “normal” segregationists sounded like in the 60s...

“We gotta share a drinking fountain? smh-WHERE DOES IT END!?”

So we went from a debate over eliminating historic reference points, to one over separate drinking fountains (active segregation). Gotta love this forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 08:47 PM

15,611 posts, read 7,633,934 times
Yeah this is way different than segregation and drinking out of the same water fountains. But apparently this is still how YOU feel the world is. For some reason your mind is deep in the south in the 60s.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:56 PM

6,780 posts, read 5,920,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Because let's face it, human life had zero value until very, very recently - we're talking decades here, not even centuries.
Holy cow!

Old 01-04-2021, 07:50 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,052,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Holy cow!
That's right my friend, the history of us allegedly intelligent bald bipedal critters is a very dark one. Remind me, when did we stop working children to death in factories? Throwing gravely injured workers out in the street with no compensation whatsoever? Making everyone a slave to the company store? Starting wars that killed millions over absolutely nothing? When it comes to morals and the value of human life overall late 19th/early 20th century ad world wasn't that different from how it was back in the good old Roman days, or good old Nubian days for that matter.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:10 AM

This thread is turning darker than I would have expected, lol.

I will say that bigfatdude has some valid points over the value of human life. It seems like we are ever evolving with how we treat people, even our own kids. I mean my mother got spanked with a hair brush by her mother. I can recall getting a spank here and there as a kid, but now spanking is just looked at as something terrible that any decent parent shouldn't do.

Kids used to ride in the back of station wagons without a seatbelt or even in a seat, never see that today.

People used to drink and smoke while pregnant until they learned it's bad (some still might but they know it's wrong)

We treat mentally ill much better than we did decades ago, we even treat people with learning disabilities differently and they have more opportunities.

how we treat animals and pets has even changed.

Thankfully we've evolved in how we treat life.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
This thread is turning darker than I would have expected, lol.

I will say that bigfatdude has some valid points over the value of human life. It seems like we are ever evolving with how we treat people, even our own kids. I mean my mother got spanked with a hair brush by her mother. I can recall getting a spank here and there as a kid, but now spanking is just looked at as something terrible that any decent parent shouldn't do.

Kids used to ride in the back of station wagons without a seatbelt or even in a seat, never see that today.

People used to drink and smoke while pregnant until they learned it's bad (some still might but they know it's wrong)

We treat mentally ill much better than we did decades ago, we even treat people with learning disabilities differently and they have more opportunities.

how we treat animals and pets has even changed.

Thankfully we've evolved in how we treat life.
Thankfully we did evolve but it happened very recently, and prior to that we were cruel animals who did not value the life of our fellow human beings and it was, strangely enough, a perfectly acceptable thing to do. So like I said earlier, you can't denounce one group of cruel animals while doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to glorify another. Slavery is slavery, slavers are cruel animals, period.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:29 AM

12,595 posts, read 21,749,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Thankfully we did evolve but it happened very recently, and prior to that we were cruel animals who did not value the life of our fellow human beings and it was, strangely enough, a perfectly acceptable thing to do. So like I said earlier, you can't denounce one group of cruel animals while doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to glorify another. Slavery is slavery, slavers are cruel animals, period.
If the evolution of how we think about others is a natural progression, then why is it so jarring that views about the depiction of an individual on a nearly 150 year old statue have also evolved?

Old 01-04-2021, 10:51 AM

As has been said before, it's not just about this statue. Many other things have been removed/changed to not offend others because people were offended. I can't say it's THAT big of a deal to me but to be asked why we care so much I could use the same rebuttal of why did they need to be removed in the first place? seems hypocritical to ask those who think it's silly to remove them but not question why someone is offended by something that happened in history 200 years ago.

Were aunt jemima and Uncle Ben really that offensive to people? They were just smiling faces on a package to me when I walked down the grocery aisle. I didn't use either item.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
If the evolution of how we think about others is a natural progression, then why is it so jarring that views about the depiction of an individual on a nearly 150 year old statue have also evolved?
Not all views have evolved though, instead we have a disgusting set of double standards. White? Repent and self-flagellate you filthy ancestor of slave owners! Black? Hail Nubia! Hail slavery!

Last edited by bigfatdude; 01-04-2021 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-04-2021, 01:26 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,288,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
As has been said before, it's not just about this statue. Many other things have been removed/changed to not offend others because people were offended. I can't say it's THAT big of a deal to me but to be asked why we care so much I could use the same rebuttal of why did they need to be removed in the first place? seems hypocritical to ask those who think it's silly to remove them but not question why someone is offended by something that happened in history 200 years ago.

Were aunt jemima and Uncle Ben really that offensive to people? They were just smiling faces on a package to me when I walked down the grocery aisle. I didn't use either item.
Because racism is still alive and well, and every little thing that directly or indirectly reinforces, validates, or legitimizes that racism that gets removed is that many fewer excuses the racists in our world have to lean on to ignore or perpetuate their ideology. That's why they're offended -- these types of things, while insignificant or tangential to someone who hasn't been the victim of racism, are very much societal reminders that they're still seen as second-class humans by some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston