Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 30,001 times

Advertisements

Accepted a job in Quincy Center recently and am thinking of moving out to Quincy.

Currently live right in Beacon Hill. My girlfriend and I have been discussing the pros/cons of the move but I am curious as to the thoughts of any other mid-20's professionals who live in the area?

Do you like it? Hate it? nightlife? Please share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,453 times
With Quincy, it really depends. I don't care for the place too much. I've never lived there, but have been there quite a bit...although not for a couple of years. I know people in their 20's that love it and others that can't stand it. It really is a love/hate thing.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 PM

7 posts, read 31,662 times
Smile Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
With Quincy, it really depends. I don't care for the place too much. I've never lived there, but have been there quite a bit...although not for a couple of years. I know people in their 20's that love it and others that can't stand it. It really is a love/hate thing.
I, too, would like to know about Quincy. I have a job possiblity there, but I have only been there once about 5 years ago. My questions are; what is the rental range for a 1 bedroom apartment and which areas are inexpensive. My daughter pays $675 for a studio on the North Shore, so I am wondering if I can get something like that?

Thanks....all info appreciated!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:43 PM

120 posts, read 481,964 times
I live in Quincy, and it's not bad at all. Granted, I don't work in Boston, although I did recently...once I got on the 'T', it was 15-20 minutes to South Station, depending where I got on. Rents are quite low compared to the rest of the area (you can actually buy a condo for 200k or less), and safety is not too much of an issue. You can be right on top of the ocean, and the Blue Hills are not too far away. You probably need a car, but if you live close to Quincy Center, you may be able to get away without one. In terms of nightlife, it isn't as much as in Boston, but there are some good bars and restaurants around Quincy Center and Wollaston. Marina Bay is also a great area to hang out in during the summer.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM

18 posts, read 115,144 times
Quincy does seem to have reasonably priced homes from what I've researched. Why is this? Can someone add more about the town please?

Old 05-15-2008, 04:56 PM

120 posts, read 481,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgandthree View Post
Quincy does seem to have reasonably priced homes from what I've researched. Why is this? Can someone add more about the town please?

I guess a lot of it has to do with its blue collar roots. You had the shipyard and quarries in the area, so people here tended to be more working class. Although greater Boston had a lot of other blue collar areas that gentrified in recent years (e.g. Southie and Somerville), Quincy never really went through that process (granted, I think Quincy was in a lot better shape than other working class areas back in the day, so there wasn't as much of an "urge" to gentrify) . Also, even though it's on the 'T', it may seem a little far for many people...despite the fact that it is only a 15-20 minute ride to South Station. Finally, to be honest, there isn't too much out here in terms of nightlife, hanging out, etc.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:07 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,526 times
Quincy is a quiet town. If you're in your 20's and looking for clubs, bars, etc. it's not a nightlife town and you probably wouldn't be happy there. But if you want to live a quiet life, especially if you commute into Boston five days a week, it's nice! Easy to get into Boston by the Red Line T. People in Quincy are generally more conservative than people in the City of Boston and I feel - more normal. It really depends on what you're looking for, though...

Old 12-02-2008, 02:09 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlue62 View Post
I, too, would like to know about Quincy. I have a job possiblity there, but I have only been there once about 5 years ago. My questions are; what is the rental range for a 1 bedroom apartment and which areas are inexpensive. My daughter pays $675 for a studio on the North Shore, so I am wondering if I can get something like that?

Thanks....all info appreciated!
Your daughter "pays $675 for a studio on the North Shore?" I doubt if you'd be able to find something like that in Quincy. I've seen - on craigslist - studios and/or 1 bedrooms for as low as $875 but no lower.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:31 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quincy isn't nearly as pedestrian friendly as Boston. I know this is a pretty obvious statement, but many people who live in Boston (particularly a neighborhood like Beacon Hill) tend to get used to and comfortable with walking everywhere. It's hard to do that in Quincy as only a few small areas are really dense and easy to walk (though Quincy Center is one of them) around like downtown Boston is.

That being said, even though I'm the "walking type," I think Quincy is nice. The waterfront area is completely overlooked by most people in the Boston area. It's quite nice with some restaurants and clubs all along Marina Bay (MARINABAYBOSTON.COM ) and an overall pretty waterfront area. It's not as vibrant and lively as Boston (while I don't consider Beacon Hill to be the most vibrant area, it's an easy walk to the places that are), but it's not desolate either. It should certainly be cheaper than where you are in Boston and you'll get more bang for your buck.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 129,129 times
I've lived and worked in Quincy for about one and a half years. Moved here when I was on the cusp of my 21st birthday. At first, I hated the place. So boring! However, it has grown on me.

The subway system's Red Line is most excellent. It will bring you into the heart of the city, as well as all the way up through Cambridge and Somerville.

The library in Quincy Center is really quite beautiful - not huge, but has a lot of good stuff. There's a really cool wing with stained glass, wooden floors and paneling, and comfy chairs.

Not too many people my age when I moved here...however, there seems to be slightly more young people now. Perhaps they're catching on to Quincy's affordability and easy access to Boston.

That said, do not expect Quincy to be a miniature Boston. That's what I expected, and it was a terrible letdown.

If you're an art aficionado, Quincy does not have a museum, nor does it seem to have much of an artistic community. There is, though, the Quincy Art Association. I saw a nice show they put on a few months back. It was composed of local, mostly amateur artists.

All in all, Quincy takes some getting used to. But, you might like it. Come and stay at a hotel or with friends for a few days.

Last edited by speakofblue; 12-04-2008 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: spelling, addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston