Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2021, 11:22 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Yeah, Southie and Dorchester aren't necessarily representative of white Bostonians as a whole. I can at least confirm that my [white] relatives in Brighton are big Wu supporters. I wouldn't be surprised in Janey or Campbell got #2 in a lot of the western precincts over George (with Wu obviously #1 as Rozzie is her base).
You're right they're not I don't think George has enough viter-and the public polling agency agrees- they've got her down 48-28 to Wu. Which I think will end up being more like 63-37.

But they do represent a certain fraction of long time white Bostonians. Like you said I don really think voting was actively prejudice or anything like that. I merely said I think its something Kim Janeybreally had to deal with more than anyone else. Wu's a really good candidate, she’ll be a very good mayor- but George? That's a different sort of thing.

Even Marty who wasnt a great mayor was someone I met and know genuinely cared about and for the city and was a fair and reasonable dude. Annissa? she's coming in looking slimy and suspect from jump- so support for her just feels more reactionary/racial than it did for Marty who came in pretty clean. IMO she has no business running for mayor. I do think its no good she's in the final over Janey or Campbell.

However, her ideology does line up with those voters interest more despite her scuzziness....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 12:18 PM

337 posts, read 268,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Why? and So( (and no that's not true)? I haven't met them, I do know ALOT about Mass. more than I do some good friends of mine IRL.
I don't doubt your knowledge, but I think it's somewhat arrogant to presume an individual's reasoning while knowing next to nothing about them. Reveals perhaps some biases of your own.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:45 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Quote:
You're right they're not I don't think George has enough viter-and the public polling agency agrees- they've got her down 48-28 to Wu. Which I think will end up being more like 63-37.
Yeah, I will be surprised if George cracks the 40%. I thinks that's possible only with a very low turnout.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:16 PM

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/09/...ment-125357872

" In the whitest precincts, 77 percent of voters backed Wu or Essaibi George."

"In the least white precincts, 69 percent of voters favored Campbell or Janey. "

Ferriabough Bolling, who supported Janey, noted that Campbell had relentlessly criticized the acting mayor’s leadership.

“You got the woman doing the job, another Black woman tagging her,” Ferriabough Bolling said. “And look at the results.”

^where my argument comes from

Boston has deep racial divisions and White voters in white areas weren't going for black candidates, even more so than the least white precincts (not the same as most black btw)

Old 09-16-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/09/...ment-125357872

" In the whitest precincts, 77 percent of voters backed Wu or Essaibi George."

"In the least white precincts, 69 percent of voters favored Campbell or Janey. "

Ferriabough Bolling, who supported Janey, noted that Campbell had relentlessly criticized the acting mayor’s leadership.

“You got the woman doing the job, another Black woman tagging her,” Ferriabough Bolling said. “And look at the results.”

^where my argument comes from

Boston has deep racial divisions and White voters in white areas weren't going for black candidates, even more so than the least white precincts (not the same as most black btw)

Janey wasn't even 3rd technically. She was 4th, she should have dropped out of the race to give Campbell a better chance, why should have been the opposite? But no, of course according to Janey supporters is Campbell's fault.

Also, typical American political analysis by the globe. A third of the city is neither black nor white but the article doesn't mention latinos or asians once. Doesn't fit the narrative that white bostonians are racists? because they voted for an....asian lady and a half arab lady instead of a black candidate

It seems a lot of Janey supporters are blaming others (racists) for the poor result of their candidate but are failing to recognize that maybe, just maybe, their candidate just wasn't very good. It's the same kind of mentality of Trump supporters when they accuse Mexicans for America's problems.

PS the least white precincts aren't also the most black ones? So basically all that it means is that black voters tended to vote for black candidates more, but the article is worded to lead people to believe that only white voters voted for Wu and George while Latino and Asians didn't? But actually that's not true because if I remember correctly there was a poll showing Wu very much ahead with Asians and also ahead with latinos.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:41 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
I thought a little bit about the election last night, and while I don't doubt for a second some voters did vote on racial identity lines, the bigger issue with Janey/Campbell is their heavy overlap on issues that led to dilution. Had only one ran, the chances the other's base would have come around to them was much, much greater than theirs going to another. It reminds me of how Perot basically diluted Bush in '92 to pave the way for Clinton.

George stands the furthest apart from the others on the issues, which in a way is good but also means she's basically going to get crushed in November as Janey's and Campbell's bases both will likely go overwhelmingly to Wu.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I thought a little bit about the election last night, and while I don't doubt for a second some voters did vote on racial identity lines, the bigger issue with Janey/Campbell is their heavy overlap on issues that led to dilution. Had only one ran, the chances the other's base would have come around to them was much, much greater than theirs going to another. It reminds me of how Perot basically diluted Bush in '92 to pave the way for Clinton.

George stands the furthest apart from the others on the issues, which in a way is good but also means she's basically going to get crushed in November as Janey's and Campbell's bases both will likely go overwhelmingly to Wu.
Many Campbell supporter had Wu as a second choice. Not Janey, according to some poll posted here a few days ago.
I am not sure Campbell overlapped more with Janey than with Wu.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:50 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Many Campbell supporter had Wu as a second choice. Not Janey, according to some poll posted here a few days ago.
I am not sure Campbell overlapped more with Janey than with Wu.
All 3 of them are more overlapped than with George. Had any two of those three been the finalists, the results in November would be more even than with one of them versus George.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
All 3 of them are more overlapped than with George. Had any two of those three been the finalists, the results in November would be more even than with one of them versus George.
Oh, that's for sure.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:19 PM

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/metro/p...inary-results/

Precinct by precinct result. Kim Janey won about 95% of the plurality/majority-black precincts

You will also see few -if any- majority-white precincts went to Campbell Barros or Janey.

Lampert, this is why black people are upset. We firmly wanted Kim Janey. White Bostonians basically said, "no." The black candidate black people wanted "isn't good enough" for white Bostonians.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 09-16-2021 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston