Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2021, 11:46 PM

21,428 posts, read 12,424,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I dunno. I imagine that the percentage of white people in the city who both have kids and send their kids to public school is already at or near historic lows. If so, any bad decisions made by BPS wouldn't drive white people out of town.

Course, if this would lower prices in nice parts of town then I'm all for it. However, since my job is north of the city, it wouldn't make much sense for me to move back to any Boston neighborhood except Charlestown or maybe Eastie.
From what I see white people will hold out in the city with the hopes of obtaining premium seats in special classes and then into exams schools. Without exams and without advanced learning classes I can see many middle class people in general saying “ehh this won’t be challenging enough for my kid.”

BPS has a higher percentage of white kids than it did in 2013 (15.1% vs 12.6%) when they reinstated more neighborhood preference in elementary schools. It’s back at 2005 levels. But a lot of that is due to the fact that more black students are enrolled in charter schools than ever before and there’s just fewer BPS students than there were. The number of white children from 2013 to now is about the same (17,000) son it is at a low but could definitely go lower.

The reason for white flight would be tied to changing leadership across the city, lack of stability in police chief, school superintendent, lack of things to do /favorite restaurants, but also in general the white population nationwide and especially in the state is on the decline. I would expect Boston to continue increasing density and services for new immigrants over middle class things... lotta push factors.

To Lampert:
In general, middle class black and Latino people are more accustomed to living in economically heterogeneous neighborhoods and have more experience in “finessing” the city in recent decades. There are also many more societal factors that keep them beholden to the city.

White people can kind of move to dozens of suburbs and feel comfortable and not stand out. If you’re black-a lot to suburbs really don’t have the foods, or hair products or cultural programming you want... the little things that make you feel comfortable or represented, let alone the fact your moving to a town many in your social network may have never heard of. Add to this-outside of Boston black political and civic leadership is paltry, at best. For a middle class black family this is extremely important.

So you’re left with maybe 5-6 towns to move to if you want to feel truly comfortable in the Boston area. As a result many families that would leave the city if they were white go the extra mile to stay if they’re black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 07:43 AM

337 posts, read 264,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The city’s is going farrrr left

Citing racial equity concerns the city has gotten rid of advanced learning classes for grades 4-6

https://www.wgbh.org/news/education/...arning-classes

I have no comment. I just foresee White flight from the city-not just due to this... but this in conjunction with several other things.
Yes this was jarring to see. So abhorrent.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:48 AM

337 posts, read 264,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
"70 percent of students enrolled in the program were white and Asian".

I forgot that Asians aren't minorities when it comes to education. Not like they're getting randomly attacked in public lately or anything. Equal no opportunities isn't a great plan.
We may see more working class Asian families opt for moving to Malden or Quincy (or elsewhere) if advanced learning opportunities in BPS continue to decline.

Last edited by Mayei; 02-27-2021 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-27-2021, 07:58 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,052,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
We may see working class Asian families opt for moving to Malden or Quincy if advanced learning opportunities in BPS continue to decline.
If we allow this madness to continue soon enough BPS will be doing away with AP and honors classes because not having every last students in them is very unfair and doubleplusunwoke, and making everything remedial in the name of equality and greater social justice won't be outside of the realm of possibility. Latin is gone at this point, won't be long before regular schools are fully equalized and socialjusticed to rip out every dreamed up shred of "unearned advantage and privilege." Not that it matters to all the woke DINKs and DILDOs but all families with kids not making over quarter mil who can't afford private school end up with zero reasons to stay.

On a second thought it will start mattering once woke madness-induced reality moves closer when the buffer zone of hardieboarded triple-deckers and camries is gone, and crowbars start smashing Tesla and BMW windows and bullets start hitting ornate seven or eight figure brownstones and glass towers.

Last edited by bigfatdude; 02-27-2021 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-27-2021, 09:23 AM

23,101 posts, read 18,235,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
You never heard this definition?
Lawyers, doctors, professionals etc.

Meh. And teachers, cops, firefighters, nurses, MBTA workers, electricians, working class first generation immigrants with strong work ethic (and before people jump down my throat, yes I know some of those people earn as much or more as the office worker). It's seen as a pipeline to the exam schools. Without Advanced Work, the majority of those families would be going the private/charter school route or forever leave the city altogether and not return. Regular BPS is not acceptable for most middle-class (or any parents) who place a value on their kids' education. This is an all out race to the bottom.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:31 AM

15,620 posts, read 7,639,439 times
'A district analysis of the program found that more than 70 percent of students enrolled in the program were white and Asian, even though nearly 80 percent of all Boston public school students are Hispanic and Black'

Why is this so hard for people to accept? Ok the white and asian kids get better grades than the black and hispanic kids. Somehow though it's racist. It seems that asian people are just gifted when it comes to math and science. I've had BPS school teacher friends who said they do poorly in english but excel in math. Plenty of people stink at math and school in general. I would also imagine that many kids at BPS don't have parents encouraging them to do well or they probably wouldnt be at BPS in the first place.

This isn't rocket science...but apparently it's racist.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:36 AM

23,101 posts, read 18,235,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
'A district analysis of the program found that more than 70 percent of students enrolled in the program were white and Asian, even though nearly 80 percent of all Boston public school students are Hispanic and Black'

Why is this so hard for people to accept? Ok the white and asian kids get better grades than the black and hispanic kids. Somehow though it's racist.

But like with anything else, rather than get to the bottom of why Hispanics and blacks are under performing and attempt to resolve and bridge that gap; they throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Why is this so hard for people to accept? Ok the white and asian kids get better grades than the black and hispanic kids. Somehow though it's racist. It seems that asian people are just gifted when it comes to math and science. I've had BPS school teacher friends who said they do poorly in english but excel in math. Plenty of people stink at math and school in general. I would also imagine that many kids at BPS don't have parents encouraging them to do well or they probably wouldnt be at BPS in the first place.

This isn't rocket science...but apparently it's racist.
It's unfair that some make it to the top floors and some are stuck in the basement so instead of getting more out of the basement let's just expand the basement to fit everyone and demolish everything above ground to keep it woke and doubleplusunracist!

Old 02-27-2021, 09:41 AM

15,620 posts, read 7,639,439 times
I'm pretty sure this happened with the police/fire exams...the minorities who were applying were't doing well on the exam so they've had to make it easier.

I agree it makes more sense to figure out why there are only 30% of black and hispanics in the program. Maybe people are afraid to do this?

People also say it's stereotypical and profiling to say Asians are good at math/science. There's obviously quite a bit of truth to it though.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this happened with the police/fire exams...the minorities who were applying were't doing well on the exam so they've had to make it easier.

I agree it makes more sense to figure out why there are only 30% of black and hispanics in the program. Maybe people are afraid to do this?
It's the crabs in a bucket mentality - be more successful than others academically and you're an oreo and uncle tom. Also there's zero truth in the racist bull**** idea that whites or asians are allegedly smarter than blacks or hispanics, they just don't have those at the bottom actively beating down everyone trying to get to the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston