Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 05:06 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I'd rather not deny people of their agency, but that's just me. I'll agree to disagree.
we can agree to disagree but I do have legit questions,

But would you really call TenPoint folks are conservative? They're not there just not progressives or modern Dems. They're 90s Dems. They were seen as relatively liberal back in the 90s because community policing was new. Talking to gang members was seen as progressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 05:13 PM

728 posts, read 974,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
we can agree to disagree but I do have legit questions,

But would you really call TenPoint folks are conservative? They're not there just not progressives or modern Dems. They're 90s Dems. They were seen as relatively liberal back in the 90s because community policing was new. Talking to gang members was seen as progressive.
Glad you asked! I will preface with saying that because the GOP is racist, can't really do anything with them. So that being said, TenPoint is usually somewhere toeing the conservative ideological line.

Boston hasn't "attacked" religion besides the whole COVID thing so I think for the most part it's been smooth sailing but the gay marriage debate from the early 00s comes to mind.

To your earlier point, TenPoint is an example of the "Liberal" side of the Black church if that makes sense.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Glad you asked! I will preface with saying that because the GOP is racist, can't really do anything with them. So that being said, TenPoint is usually somewhere toeing the conservative ideological line.

Boston hasn't "attacked" religion besides the whole COVID thing so I think for the most part it's been smooth sailing but the gay marriage debate from the early 00s comes to mind.

To your earlier point, TenPoint is an example of the "Liberal" side of the Black church if that makes sense.
But I guess IMO TenPoint leaders are the only 'black church' in Boston. Bishop Talbert Swan in Springfield is a bleeding heart super far lefty compared to them though.

We don't have Tim Scotts or a military-based black population that tends to be more conservative. We don't have a lot of gun-toting black gun owners/gun clubs like Georgia or Texas. We don't even have the rural black of WestV Virgina (a la Randy Moss). No gospel scene or music. I mean literally who is a conservative and black in MA? We barely have moderates.

As for the Haitian community no I wouldn't call any but the oldest or very newly arrived, conservative. The 2nd generation Haitians and most Haitians under 50/60 seem just as left as any other black people. It's not like Marie St. Fleur or Linda Forry were conservatives. Jean Claude Sanon, also not conservative.

FWIW Reverend Rivers didnt approve of gay marriage or homosexuality when I worked with him but he's clergy and 70 years old. The rest of his politics in general was not conservative at all.

Old 03-04-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
But I guess IMO TenPoint leaders are the only 'black church' in Boston. Bishop Talbert Swan in Springfield is a bleeding heart super far lefty compared to them though.

We don't have Tim Scotts or a military-based black population that tends to be more conservative. We don't have a lot of gun-toting black gun owners/gun clubs like Georgia or Texas. We don't even have the rural black of WestV Virgina (a la Randy Moss). No gospel scene or music. I mean literally who is a conservative and black in MA? We barely have moderates.

As for the Haitian community no I wouldn't call any but the oldest or very newly arrived, conservative. The 2nd generation Haitians and most Haitians under 50/60 seem just as left as any other black people. It's not like Marie St. Fleur or Linda Forry were conservatives. Jean Claude Sanon, also not conservative.

FWIW Reverend Rivers didnt approve of gay marriage or homosexuality when I worked with him but he's clergy and 70 years old. The rest of his politics in general was not conservative at all.
I actually am going to walk it back. I agree. The most conservative thing about the evangelical Black church up here is the LGBTQIA+ questions.

I do think that St.Fleur and Forry at their peaks became "establishment" and that always rubbed me the wrong way. Nothing wrong with it but just an observation. Not surprising given proximity and religion (Catholic influence is underrated in bringing these Pols together).

Representative Pressley is what I had Hoped LDF or St.Fleur would've been.

Old 03-04-2021, 06:47 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,026 times
You do realize congresscritter baldie is just using the black community to line her pockets, right? Same approach at cheeto benito, as a matter of fact - tweet up a storm and watch the votes and dollars roll in.

Quote:
I actually am going to walk it back. I agree. The most conservative thing about the evangelical Black church up here is the LGBTQIA+ questions.

I do think that St.Fleur and Forry at their peaks became "establishment" and that always rubbed me the wrong way. Nothing wrong with it but just an observation. Not surprising given proximity and religion (Catholic influence is underrated in bringing these Pols together).

Old 03-04-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
You do realize congresscritter baldie is just using the black community to line her pockets, right? Same approach at cheeto benito, as a matter of fact - tweet up a storm and watch the votes and dollars roll in.
I think both of them represent their voters very well. For better or worse. In my lifetime I can't think of any truly selfless politicians. It is what it is. Everyone has special interest.

Disclaimer: I am a big fan of Representative Pressley.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:38 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,026 times
What has baldie done for anyone other than post a bunch of cracka-hating drivel on tweeter and pocket a whole lot of taxpayer dollars? Capuano might be an old white man with hammer and sickled underpants but at least he got things done.

Quote:
I think both of them represent their voters very well. For better or worse. In my lifetime I can't think of any truly selfless politicians. It is what it is. Everyone has special interest.

Disclaimer: I am a big fan of Representative Pressley.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:

She is wildly popular in the black community throughout Massachusetts-because she is representative of most people's views in our community. At least that's been my experience.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:11 AM

[vimeo]519236608[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/519236608/d0bcad5ca3

John Barros running for mayor.
https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news...on-mayors-race

Old 03-04-2021, 09:20 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
She is wildly popular in the black community throughout Massachusetts-because she is representative of most people's views in our community. At least that's been my experience.

I hope they realize that people like her (and AOC, Omar, etc.), are why the Democrats barely held on to the US House this past election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston