Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 06:05 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,612 times

Advertisements

That's Santa Aoca to you, heathen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
AOC...all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 04:47 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times
BIG changes to the Boston Rental Relief fund under Janey ...

-Marty Walsh's Initial Rental Relief fund was $3 Million dollars. Under Janey $36 Million will be federal monies, $14 million will come from the city. $50 Million total

-Rental assistance can now be used for both BACK payment and FUTURE rent + utilities

-Renters can be eligible for up to $15,000

-Payments now go directly to tenants and not to owners (Not every owner was willing to participate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyrQoYI61_I

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-30-2021 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-30-2021, 04:59 PM

Wait, so now deadbeats get to pocket another $15K in addition to not paying rent for a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
BIG changes to the Boston Rental Relief fund under Janey ...

-Marty Walsh's Initial Rental Relief fund was $3 Million dollars. Under Janey $36 Million will be federal monies, $14 million will come from the city. $50 Million total

-Rental assistance can now be used for both BACK payment and FUTURE rent + utilities

-Renters can be eligible for up to $15,000

-Payments no go directly to tenants and not to owners (Not every owner was willing to participate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyrQoYI61_I

Old 03-30-2021, 08:10 PM

16,291 posts, read 8,113,806 times
Yeah not sure how this is a good thing. It's the working person who gets screwed as usual.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:19 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,366 times
She is just buying votes ahead of the election. Nothing new. This is part of the incumbent advantage.
Only Trump was so stupid to refuse to give money to Americans.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:02 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Wait, so now deadbeats get to pocket another $15K in addition to not paying rent for a year?
I actually agree with you on something.

I absolutely see this being abused by some who will pocket it and ride their free pad until the eviction protection ends, especially if they've already written off their apartment as a lost cause.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:05 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
She is just buying votes ahead of the election. Nothing new. This is part of the incumbent advantage.

Huh???

Old 03-31-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
The same Trump that delayed stimulus checks because he wanted his signature printed on each check so that dumb Americans would think they came from him directly?

Old 03-31-2021, 08:16 AM

And that's why I refuse to vote for anyone left of Baker or Romney even though I don't like Trump&Co any more than you do. All those vote-buying handouts are coming out of our wallets, either via taxes or via high inflation. Why should I work my ass off and fork over my paycheck to some deadbeat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I actually agree with you on something.

I absolutely see this being abused by some who will pocket it and ride their free pad until the eviction protection ends, especially if they've already written off their apartment as a lost cause.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
And that's why I refuse to vote for anyone left of Baker or Romney even though I don't like Trump&Co any more than you do. All those vote-buying handouts are coming out of our wallets, either via taxes or via high inflation. Why should I work my ass off and fork over my paycheck to some deadbeat?
It's not a left or right thing. The right bails out undeserving entities even more than the left does in the form of things like corporate welfare and the military industrial complex. The left just sucks at selling it like the right does, and all their taking the high road antics are lost on the uninformed and uneducated voters who will someday prove Idiocracy to be prophetic rather than satirical.

You could also make the same argument about stimulus checks that you make for this. Many politicians absolutely went along only because they saw it as buying votes. $150,000 in HH income is 80th percentile in the US, and the top 20% pays almost 90% of the total income tax, so those who did not get a check will pay for most of those checks. Would you argue that stimulus checks were a vote-buying handout, too?

In the case of this rent payment plan of Boston's though, it would have been quite doable to avoid the deadbeat issue by allowing landlords to garnish/directly receive the payment so deadbeats would not have had the opportunity to pocket it. That's my problem here -- not that we're handing out money to people, but that we're handing out money to people who will not use the money as intended when we could easily have avoided that problem.

Same reason I may buy food or drink for a (probably) homeless person if asked, but will not hand them money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston