Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 07:51 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
He never said he needs to be around Irish people.

And I agree that it's not like the south shore is this marching little band of leprechauns eating boiled potatoes and corned beef waving flags of Ireland around. You actually won't see any of that. I don't even see many, if any Irish pubs down here really. People want to eat sushi, Mexican, Italian and burgers just like anyone else. It is pretty generic but I guess a lot of people are of Irish descent. I'm not sure why this forum is always saying how Irish the south shore is. The term Irish riviera is becoming dated. I say this as someone who is of Irish descent and lives in a south shore town but no one really cares if someone is Irish. There isn't a strong sense of Irish pride down here at all. We're just people.
My mother used to hang up a shillelagh but it was more of a decoration. The thing is the area of the south shore just looks so much the same. What's the difference between Rockland and Abington? Whitman and Hanson? Marshfield and Cohasset? In western Mass I know what community I'm in and in some cases (Springfield) I know what neighborhood I'm in (north end, south end, mcknight etc)

here's one for 200k
1106 Main St, Holyoke, MA 01040
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...56177615_zpid/

here's 250k - newer, not exact historic
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...56177521_zpid/

Maybe it's the timing of the market but many good homes I see are in contingent status. There doesn't appear to be much inventory now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 08:21 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Which visa are you coming on? You know you can't just move here and find a job as a teacher......right?

Old 01-21-2021, 08:30 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Which visa are you coming on? You know you can't just move here and find a job as a teacher......right?
I met 2 Irish doing low paying jobs in the US and they were both illegal immigrants that overstayed their visitor visa, which is the best way to guarantee yourself you will never be granted a visa to stay in the US.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:10 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I met 2 Irish doing low paying jobs in the US and they were both illegal immigrants that overstayed their visitor visa, which is the best way to guarantee yourself you will never be granted a visa to stay in the US.

Not uncommon, especially in the pre-Celtic Tiger 80s and the 90s/early 00s (my partner is from Ireland and came over to NYC then--Woodside Queens was basically Little Dublin then, and there were strong networks for both jobs and ways around deportation, same as Boston) but given that the OP mentioned being a teacher and buying a house, I assumed that she/he planned to do to this legally. Narrowing down specific neighborhoods seems to be putting the horse waayyyy before the cart without a job lined up.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Narrowing down specific neighborhoods seems to be putting the horse waayyyy before the cart without a job lined up.
Oh yeah, totally. From what OP has said her best chance is the lottery, that tells you a lot.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:25 AM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Buy a Victorian on Northampton street in Holyoke. It actually has a real Irish parade. I grew up in the south shore but that's just a token. It pales (no pun intended) to Holyoke. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hist...ish_in_Holyoke
https://www.irishcenterwne.org/resources/

Much of the South Shore is generic white. No ethnic or religious festivals, few protected historical districts, no real ethnic restaurants.

You apparently missed the "safe" and "Boston" part.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:51 AM

16,359 posts, read 8,174,665 times
There's a big difference between cohasset and marshfield. Rockland and Whitman not so much.

I would honestly stay in Ireland if I was the OP. However he mentioned He has some type of business here so it sounds like that's his reason for coming.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
However he mentioned He has some type of business here so it sounds like that's his reason for coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc740 View Post
yes partner involved but no qualification but own a successful business here
Since OP is in Ireland I assume "here" means in Ireland.
What I understood is that the business is in Ireland and probably OP hopes can be translated to the US.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:00 AM

8 posts, read 8,427 times
cheers thanks very much for the info!

Old 01-21-2021, 10:37 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
It's worthwhile to go to Zillow.com, fill out your budget and space specifications (2 or 3 bedroom? would one bath be ok?) and zoom out from Boston to see where you could get. I think you would do better targeting Providence at your budget. 350K would get you more space and in a nicer neighborhood than targeting getting close to Boston.

But as others have said, tie up your visa first. We'll see where it goes with the new presidential but visas have really been cracked down on. For example, one of my closest friends was brought to the US permanently with Amazon (and the backing of all their immigration lawyers). He felt so secure in his visa that he bought a house in Seattle. 4 months after he closed on the house, he was informed that his visa was not going to be renewed. He and the corporate lawyers fought it for 6 months, but he eventually had to leave the US in the middle of the pandemic and effectively abandoned his house for now. This was totally unexpected, but he has several colleagues in the same boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston