Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 05:29 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Actually it's the other way around - you can in fact get a nice house in good neighborhood for $400,000 or less in most metros other than the usual suspects.
Where?

This, https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M67916-34020

Safe, and close to things, but that's a lot of money for that house.

And this isn't the Boston Metro....

You get a little further out in the area from the link I posted you will be paying 600K plus, and keep going......There are new builds 200 feet from that house almost next to a car dealership and one of them sold for 700K.

This is not unique to here. It's in most metros!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 05:51 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Not the press? The press is where you go for details and it acts as a check against government. One of the biggest open town meeting violation was performed by the police against the press.
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1277579.html Why would someone trust a police officer that illegal takes someone camera, assaults them and tries to break it? But he's just one bad apple.....that spent 40 years on the force and elected to the selectboard (that also oversees police) about four times. Like it or not you need some check against government as a form to keep things in line. Without independent media there are higher taxes, costs and more corruption.
https://www.governing.com/archive/go...overnment.html

Besides when you have real accurate reporting it can be more reliable than the blogs and spin that try to fill the gap.
https://www.goerie.com/news/20200112...ice-officers/1
"At the police department in Burlington City, New Jersey, officers are now assigned to constantly monitor social media and efforts are made to “get something out every 15 minutes” after an incident, said police Chief John Fine.

Officers, for example, first became alarmed by false reports trending on social media in April 2018. Officers were responding to reported a stabbing in an apartment building. Police cars were parked outside a nearby gas station, Fine said. “Someone posted online that we had a police-involved shooting at the gas station,” the chief explained.

Things got even worse this November. First, someone posted to social media accounts allegations that cops had shot a 10-year-old child. Later that same day, posts on social media alleged that officers had shot and killed a 20-year-old from the city.

Neither report was true, yet “perception is reality,” Fine said."

If people trust social media more than a police arrest log then we have some serious problems nationwide, independent media can bridge that gap.

Most of the violence IS random. Examine the names of those and see the backgrounds. Like I mentioned criminals generally don't go to the police. Gangs attack other gangs, any officer in any urban area will tell you that. Of course mutual aid works but that's the thing if you still have to rely on it. You can't take pride of some rich affluent community and then go crying back to momma and the state for aid because you can't do it yourself.

Yet you say you have to go by the police logs and yet....

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...me-in-the-u-s/
"What percentage of crimes are reported to police, and what percentage are solved?
Most violent and property crimes in the U.S. are not reported to police, and most of the crimes that are reported are not solved."

Non violent death kills far more than violent death and urban areas are safer than rural https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...injury-deaths/ The qualification of driving is pretty low, legal fire arms pretty high.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91658&page=1
Having seen a kid get hit by a truck yes I know what that can be like. Statistics and empirical information clearly illustrate you are more likely to die in a car accident than be a victim of gun violence. Certainly we want to lower both. Furthermore if it was such a deterrence why would 10x the city's population turn out annually (precovid) for the st patricks day parade.400,000 is quite a number of people. If they felt unsafe they wouldn't have gone for so long. so it's canceled for covid but not for gun violence

I didn't say that boston and worcester lack shot spotter . You brought up the south shore and outside of urban areas it doesn't exist. It takes longer to get criminals in suburban areas and find them guilty. Less police (since most resources go to schools), less cameras, no shot spotter etc. I grew up near a rifle range and you can hear it constantly. You can't run shot spotter in that environment.

Not totally sure what point you are trying to make with this all, but from the sounds of it I guess you are implying that smaller suburban towns have more unreported crime than larger cities??? Do you have an iota of data that supports this? A theory is not a conclusion. Correct me if I'm off. My guess is it would be somewhat opposite, for a number of reasons.

But to put it in perspective; Brockton has somewhat of around 187 cops protecting 95K people, while neighboring West Bridgewater has from what it looks like 28 cops protecting 7K people. Break that down, West Bridgewater has 4 cops for every thousand persons, while Brockton has just under 2 for the same. So in essence, W Bridwater has TWICE the police protection and not to mention FAR less crime to keep them busy. That leaves W Bridgewater with more resources to devote to proactive policing and preventing crime in the first place. I have personally experienced unacceptably slow police response in Brockton. And WHO CARES if West Bridgewater has to rely on Bridgewater in the rare shooting incident or whatnot, backup is still easily coming faster there than from the East Side to the West Side of Brockton for instance. That is what you are not taking into consideration.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:48 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
He never said he needs to be around Irish people.

And I agree that it's not like the south shore is this marching little band of leprechauns eating boiled potatoes and corned beef waving flags of Ireland around. You actually won't see any of that. I don't even see many, if any Irish pubs down here really. People want to eat sushi, Mexican, Italian and burgers just like anyone else. It is pretty generic but I guess a lot of people are of Irish descent. I'm not sure why this forum is always saying how Irish the south shore is. The term Irish riviera is becoming dated. I say this as someone who is of Irish descent and lives in a south shore town but no one really cares if someone is Irish. There isn't a strong sense of Irish pride down here at all. We're just people.
Its pretty damn Irish. Its not a bad thing. But its extremely white, and Irish American is more than half of White Americans down there. I used to live there and noticed it, but when I moved out and came back. Oh yeah. Simply no comparison.

Your not going to see it from the inside, but its easily one of the whitest areas in America that display its Irish pride around the towns.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:16 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Well if you went to Chicago I'm sure I'm certain areas you'd notice a lot of white polish people.

Where I live I have yet to see anyone flying an Irish flag. When I lived in the city I frequently saw people flying puerta rican, Dominican and hatian flags (from their house or car).

Whatever. I'm not going to apologize for my heritage being the majority on the south shore. It is what it is but I can tell you it isn't something people really talk about. On my street the people next door to us are Jewish and the people across the street are Italian.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:34 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
I have the opposite problem.
We want to move TO Ireland.
But they won’t let us in.
Unlike the US, they enforce immigration policies.
We even thought about just going and figuring it out when we get there but we’re told that is a terrible idea, it’s not like illegally entering and living in the US.
Oh well.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:51 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times
Most do. But their elected officials haven't sold them out to the whims of MNC for slave labor.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:35 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I have the opposite problem.
We want to move TO Ireland.
But they won’t let us in.
Unlike the US, they enforce immigration policies.
We even thought about just going and figuring it out when we get there but we’re told that is a terrible idea, it’s not like illegally entering and living in the US.
Oh well.
Do you have ancestry? I was quoted about 2k from a law firm that said they have 100% success rate with great grandparents.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:40 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Do you have ancestry? I was quoted about 2k from a law firm that said they have 100% success rate with great grandparents.

I've heard this as well, never pushed it though.

Old 01-23-2021, 04:17 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
I thought it was a grandparent you had to have. Otherwise, half the population of the Boston area could move there!

I actually have 2 great grandparents that were born in Ireland, although I don't consider them to be Irish.

Old 01-23-2021, 04:43 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Correct, it’s grandparents, not great-grandparents (there’s a loophole with that, where you could still get it if your American-born parent was granted citizenship by descent before you were born).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston