Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 10,241 times

Advertisements

I have a job that starts in Boston at the end of June. Just started my apartment search and found this site. I'm looking for something close to a subway stop and within a 30 minute commute to work on Boylston Street. Does anyone have any recommendations of good places to live or places I should avoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM

230 posts, read 1,142,251 times
hey there. we are relocating to Boston a few weeks before you. I have to run right now because I have to go to an appointment, but i just wanted to note that people will be able to help you more if you can give them a budget (or how much you are looking to pull in a year), what size place you are looking for (bedrooms), rent or buy, and if you have any pets. Also, if you have a car will change answers, especially in Boston. Nobody's going to recommend beacon hill or something like that with a car (unless you love super tight parallel parks on hilly one-way streets). Good luck!!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 AM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times
Tell us what you are looking for. What is your budget? Are you single or have a family? Are you a partier or more of a homebody?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,245 times
I am moving to Boston too on August 01, 2008. I have found some information on Boston neighborhoods using this site Boston - MyFirstApartment.com and they are really helpful. However, I would like to find out more and also start making some friends and acquaintances so that by the time I arrive I actually can go grab a beer with some people I already know!

I will be working full-time and attending part-time school for a Certificate in IT program. I have a SUV, but don't want to drive it much (esp. work or school). Would prefer a place to share with roommates with parking space (not on the street). Do not plan to spend more than 900 including rent, all utilities and hi-speed internet (I don't use cable TV). I have two goldfish as pets. I am a minimalist with minimal furniture and baggage to carry around! All I need is a small room where I can fit a small coffee table, my sofa-bed and hang a flat screen TV on the wall with the DVD player resting below it, that's it!! Oh, and some space for my 10 gallon small aquarium! And ya a little room in the kitchen would be nice for my plates, a few cooking ware and some spices (don't cook much though).

I am generally a quiet guy (not much into parties) but know how to socialize and have fun. The noise I make will pretty much be limited to the action movies I watch once in a while, but I can turn the volume down if that bothers the roommates.

Don't know where exactly I would be living yet. I have looked into Waltham and some other suburbs. How long is the commute using commuter rails? Are they available late-nights and weekends?

Any information / suggestion would be appreciated. Also, if you want to be friends (male or female does not matter, just trying to meet some cool people), check out my profile and send me a message !!

Thanks.

-ron-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston