Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 03:09 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Wow was Meath Rd. where the term "hic-hop" originated?

Yep, bringing that Natty Ice in by the stack.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2886...7i16384!8i8192

Definitely a Fall River vibe around there, or maybe a West Warwick, RI.
Dundalk is like this:

when they were casting for the movie ‘White Boy Rick’ in 2018 which is about a 15-year-old white drug dealer/guns runner on the east side of Detroit in the 1980s... production went to Dundalk High School to cast the main character...whine they actually found in the principals office waiting to be disciplined. Casted him on the spot

Young Star of ‘White Boy Rick’ Was Discovered in the Principal’s Office

He so Dundalk the kid's name is Richie Merritt as in Merritt Boulevard-one of the major thoroughfares in Dundalk. He never acted before they just cast him in the spot, that’s the Dundalk vibes. The kid had never even heard of Matthew McConnaughey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbO027FRRx8

Has a bit of a black Baltimore accent. I don't hear the white "Bawlmer accent" so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7reCQJ_5NQk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 03:10 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea but really, Id say maybe up to 40% of the impoverished white population could be students. There's no visible white poverty in Boston to speak of outside of a few people in housing developments in Southie Allston and maybe Eastie? Maybe a few blocks near Fields corner/Adams Street?

If it were so close in number to black poverty why is Black poverty much more visible in Boston?
Because it was explained already many times but apparently you can't read? Or perhaps you selectively lose your ability to read when you see something that does not fit your agenda?

Old 02-19-2021, 04:10 PM

16,359 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Default Re

Quote:
Dundalk is like this:

when they were casting for the movie ‘White Boy Rick’ in 2018 which is about a 15-year-old white drug dealer/guns runner on the east side of Detroit in the 1980s... production went to Dundalk High School to cast the main character...whine they actually found in the principals office waiting to be disciplined. Casted him on the spot

He so Dundalk the kid's name is Richie Merritt as in Merritt Boulevard-one of the major thoroughfares in Dundalk. He never acted before they just cast him in the spot, that’s the Dundalk vibes. The kid had never even heard of Matthew McConnaughey

Has a bit of a black Baltimore accent. I don't hear the white "Bawlmer accent" so much

How is this any different than turtle boy ?

Old 02-19-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
How is this any different than turtle boy ?
?

Old 02-19-2021, 04:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
A house shell can be quite inexpensive - if concrete.
Let us calculate the amount of concrete needed to build a six sided cube, from 36' x 36' x 0.33' panels.
36 x 36 x 0.33 = 16 cu yds.
6 panels (4 walls + 2 floor / ceiling) = 95.999
Roughly 96 cubic yards.
Check local concrete companies for prices.
Assume concrete is $130 cy, then the material cost for the concrete shell is $12,478.75.
(Each additional floor panel costs approx. $2080, add $6k for 3 panels to make (4) 8.75' stories)
4 floors x 36 x 36 = 5,184 sq. ft. ; $3.67 per square foot enclosed

If you and your friends can finish out the wiring and plumbing and so forth, you won't have to shell out as much.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:16 PM

Back to the linked article - can someone smarter than me explain how what's essentially an attempt to remove a squatter who's refusing to leave after the lease has ended suddenly morphed into a heartstring-tugging, tear-inducing no-fault eviction?

Old 02-19-2021, 04:19 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Dundalk is like this:

Was that actually filmed in Detroit, I wonder why they went all the way to Dundalk? No "8 Mile"ish suburbs around Detroit anymore, where they could have found a real life character of that type?

Old 02-19-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
A house shell can be quite inexpensive - if concrete.
Let us calculate the amount of concrete needed to build a six sided cube, from 36' x 36' x 0.33' panels.
36 x 36 x 0.33 = 16 cu yds.
6 panels (4 walls + 2 floor / ceiling) = 95.999
Roughly 96 cubic yards.
Check local concrete companies for prices.
Assume concrete is $130 cy, then the material cost for the concrete shell is $12,478.75.
(Each additional floor panel costs approx. $2080, add $6k for 3 panels to make (4) 8.75' stories)
4 floors x 36 x 36 = 5,184 sq. ft. ; $3.67 per square foot enclosed

If you and your friends can finish out the wiring and plumbing and so forth, you won't have to shell out as much.
Except it will take several years and seven figures worth of lawyer fees to get the permits and a whole army of union goons at $150+/hour each to pour the said concrete, and needless to say every last one of them and their backups will be on the clock every last second until that concrete dries and cures. And it will be very, very slow-drying concrete - at least a year from start to finish.

Oh, and you'll need another army of union goons to do everything else, because projects that don't hire an army of union goons tend to catch on fire and burn to the ground.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Was that actually filmed in Detroit, I wonder why they went all the way to Dundalk? No "8 Mile"ish suburbs around Detroit anymore, where they could have found a real life character of that type?
I kinda doubt it. Detroit’s suburbs are super segregated and I don’t know if the integrated ones are working class in vibe. You can find pretty abundant working class fairly urban white youth in Dundalk.

it needed to be an environment where you have some degree of meaningful interaction with black people on the daily to play a 1985 detroiter. I could imagine this so somewhat of a difficult demographic to sing in 2021z because they’re not looking for ‘trailer park’ necessarily but not someone fully immersed in hip hop culture either. 2018 Dundalk probably strikes just the right cord. Dundalk high is about a 22% black and 45% white, East Baltimore is literally down the road about 10 minutes, it’s working class and industrial. It was a fantastic casting and a really solid movie that leaves you feeling really bad for the kid.

I’m just marveled by the casting process.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:07 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
As someone who had family from Southie at one time (Mostly Irish people from Dorchester, but still), I dont have nearly as much sympathy as I do for the folks in Mattapan who are institutionally, systematically and economically oppressed.

Nah. Just nah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston