Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 02:54 PM

16,390 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Ok fine then I'll leave the Walmart dude out of this.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:04 PM

5,107 posts, read 2,666,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
This is actually a good point. Like, if you are a surgeon you may have a "minor" disease to your finger and still be unable to perform your duty. Usually though you have your own insurance to pay for that kind of disability.
Not if it's a work-related injury. And it takes a LOT more physical ability to work as a firefighter than a physician. Yes, a finger injury is debilitating to a surgeon, but you're still able to be an MD. In contrast, there are many injuries that could be disqualifying to fully perform as a FF.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:52 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
What evidence do you have that they are not disabled, and cannot fully perform the duties of their position?
I’m not going to provide detailed specifics as, unlike BFD’s amusing performance art, this was a reference to a real blood and flesh person.

The (vague) short: initial disability was a legitimate orthopedic issue. While on disability, this person became a single parent of multiple young children, one of which introduced severe time intensive challenges. This made a full return to work extremely difficult logistically, if not impossible given their lack of support network. Both comments and behaviors suggested a larger fraud conspiracy. Deep paranoia around being “caught”.

I fully appreciate that there is a severe issue with parental abandonment within certain demographics leading to single mothers becoming highly reliant on aid. Not seeking to straw man away from this reality. I do, however, think it’s wrong and biased to assume all within the aid system are black and exploiting it. My user research in orthopedics and pharma suggests the demographics are diverse when it comes to disability and other aids.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:15 PM

Ah, so you're guessing. Well, municipalities have investigators with the capability of sniffing out actual fraudulent disability claims, and they do so quite regularly. This is especially true for employees getting full pay for on the job injuries. While it's certainly a problem, not sure what it has to do with welfare.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:34 PM

And here's another person workin the system:

https://www.boston.com/news/crime/20...xhMdt2DVOMqHSs

Old 03-03-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Ah, so you're guessing. Well, municipalities have investigators with the capability of sniffing out actual fraudulent disability claims, and they do so quite regularly. This is especially true for employees getting full pay for on the job injuries. While it's certainly a problem, not sure what it has to do with welfare.
Sure ... “guessing”.

Technically SSDI/SSA/possibly pension issues, not welfare, but it’s still a safety net being exploited. You can choose to be pedantic about the definitions and capital sources, but its still tax dollars being burned in the form of aid. I’m using welfare loosely here in, IMO, a less abstracted way than op-eds about publicly funded stadiums or farm subs. But yeah, you’re right that disability does not equal welfare in the legal sense.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Who knows ... the biggest 'welfare queen' in my social sphere is a 'disabled' firefighter living in a $650K home who's also collecting on a truly disabled child. Nice guy ... helped me carry a sleeper couch once.
Is that the best you could find, some guy on disability living in a house he bought with his own money? What an amateur, out here every welfare queen lives in what’s on average a $650,000 home paid for by taxpayers and collects on not one but two, three, four, sometimes even five kids, all fathered by this one really amorous fella Fnu Lnu that no one can ever find and ask for child support. Now remind me, how much does one have to make to be able to afford a $650,000 home that is not provided by taxpayers?

Also, what’s stopping you from picking up the phone and reporting him? If he’s really disabled more power to him but if he’s screwing over the taxpayers he should go directly to jail, not pass go and not collect $200.

Last edited by bigfatdude; 03-03-2021 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 05:55 PM

Yes, guessing. You don't know his medical situation and the fact that he was nice enough and able enough to help you out with a sofa, doesn't mean his ability to help with a sofa means he can be a fully functioning FF. That's beside the fact that worker's compensation has nothing to do with SNAP or any other public welfare benefit which is, in my opinion, needed to some degree but highly abused and ripe for reform. It has caused multiple generations to be conditioned to think they need to be dependent on the state. If you want to see one of the biggest examples of racism, just look to the public welfare state. It greatly incentivizes people to have children they can't afford to raise, one of the main drivers of poverty. It does just what it was designed to do...keep people in their place. It's done a great job at that for a few decades now, and has been quite successful at destroying families and identity. Whites who push these ideas are the racists. The soft bigotry of low expectations. Welfare isn't designed to uplift, it's designed to keep down.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 03-03-2021 at 06:07 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, guessing. You don't know his medical situation and the fact that he was nice enough and able enough to help you out with a sofa, doesn't mean his ability to help with a sofa means he can be a fully functioning FF. That's beside the fact that worker's compensation has nothing to do with SNAP or any other public welfare benefit which is, in my opinion, needed to some degree but highly abused and ripe for reform. It has caused multiple generations to be conditioned to think they need to be dependent on the state. If you want to see one of the biggest examples of racism, just look to the public welfare state. And it greatly incentivizes people to have children they can't afford to raise, one of the main drivers of poverty. It does just what it was designed to do...keep people in their place.
I was being ‘cheeky’ with my couch comment ... not to be taken literally. Divulging my actual relationship with him is not something I’m going to do on a public forum as I do believe he was engaged in a fraud scheme for some portion of his disability and I don’t wish to ‘out’ a person who was acting out of perceived or real desperation.

Right-wing think tanks happily apply the welfare label to SSI/SAD issues and I don’t necessarily disagree with this usage even if it’s capital sources are functionally different from Welfare.

I do agree that incentivizing individuals to have children when they cannot financially support is highly problematic (see also: the military). This said, I know plenty of ‘good actors’ who have temporarily leveraged SNAP and other welfare programs to return financial stability. They have there purpose.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-03-2021 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 06:50 PM

So you think people go into the military so they can have kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston