Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 02:14 PM

6,432 posts, read 7,720,006 times

Advertisements

I will assume OP is wanting Brookline for it's schools, level of safety, and T access. You can look at the options past Rt 9 for Brookline but T options are lessened. I would also throw in to look at Newton - also great school system and safe, and some parts are close to the D line.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 04:11 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,051,280 times
Cheap housing
Brookline

Choose one...

Old 03-20-2021, 08:33 PM

7 posts, read 4,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Cheap housing
Brookline

Choose one...
Near Brookline would work. Can you recommend an apartment building in JP or West Roxbury that would have rents at $2,000 per month or less?

Old 04-27-2021, 03:55 PM

22 posts, read 20,608 times
Default Brookline maybe...Brighton & JP Definitely!

You may be hard pressed to find a 2 bedroom in Brookline for $2000, but a 1 bedroom is feasible at that price. The average rent price for 1 bedroom Brookline apartments is $2,124, and many landlords have been flexible since remote learning caused widespread vacancies throughout Greater Boston.

If not, look to nearby Brighton or Jamaica Plain for more affordable rents. Average rent price for a 2 bedroom apartment in Jamaica Plain is $2,301, and a 1 bedroom will run you $1822 on average. Similarly priced, Brighton stands at $1802 for a 1 bedroom apartment and $2,221 for a two bedroom. Both are within a 20 minute drive of Brookline and both have great public transportation access.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:42 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,122,332 times
Still looking?

CHR-Apartments (Chestnut Hill Realty) has several apartments in Brookline (and West Roxbury area) on their site, though mostly older and smaller and likely no parking if in Brookline, but may be adequate.

I believe there's no fee and even two-month free specials but probably only on the select more deluxe unuts.

Hampton Court is at 1223 Beacon at St..Paul Street across from the green line Obviously a convenient area and desirable for many. Seems it's young professionals living there whenever I check it while walking by. Maybe a single parent living with a child wouldn't feel so welcome by some residents? Or just a silly thought of me, so just ignore it?

They have several buildings on their site in Brookline, older and smaller units, below $2,000 for a 1BR. Seems some of their 2BRs can be had in smaller units for $2,000 or $2,095 or so.

BUT I wonder how much their rents and other landlords will increase if things get more normal next year.

I walked along Beacon Street in Brookline last week and saw a handful of apartment buildings with "for rent" signs. Older buildings for the most part, but likely adequate for most due to safety and convenience, and of course the Brookline schools.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:01 PM

$2000 for a two bedroom with parking probably limits you to less glamorous parts of town like Dorchester or Roslindale. Allston/Brighton might work but it will be a tiny apartment that got renovated back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:55 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,122,332 times
Dexter Park at 175 Freeman Street appears to start at $2,100 for a 1BR. Seems many foreign and/or rich college students, down the street from BU's Agannis Arena.

A small park on nearby Thornton Street in the back of the building is another plus.

It's a high-rise and 1970 ish modern but seems nice.

Across the street from a playground, and even a small rose garden with nearby benches I enjoy using when in the area.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:00 AM

2,410 posts, read 1,285,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Still looking?

CHR-Apartments (Chestnut Hill Realty) has several apartments in Brookline (and West Roxbury area) on their site, though mostly older and smaller and likely no parking if in Brookline, but may be adequate.

I believe there's no fee and even two-month free specials but probably only on the select more deluxe unuts.

Hampton Court is at 1223 Beacon at St..Paul Street across from the green line Obviously a convenient area and desirable for many. Seems it's young professionals living there whenever I check it while walking by. Maybe a single parent living with a child wouldn't feel so welcome by some residents? Or just a silly thought of me, so just ignore it?

They have several buildings on their site in Brookline, older and smaller units, below $2,000 for a 1BR. Seems some of their 2BRs can be had in smaller units for $2,000 or $2,095 or so.

BUT I wonder how much their rents and other landlords will increase if things get more normal next year.

I walked along Beacon Street in Brookline last week and saw a handful of apartment buildings with "for rent" signs. Older buildings for the most part, but likely adequate for most due to safety and convenience, and of course the Brookline schools.
I wouldn't let the age of the exterior sway what the interior is like. There's old brownstones and brick apartments that have been gutted and redone on the inside in the last 5-10 years. That said, those also usually carry a premium, and at OP's price point I agree the odds of it being something that's only had appliances swapped out in the last 30 years is quite likely, especially since landlords have little motivation to update unless they also plan on jacking up rent.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:15 AM

Fully renovated brownstones in Brookline will be $2000 for a shoebox-sized studio, not for a two bedroom with parking. Two bedroom in that price range in Brookline will be one of Anwar Faisal's bed bug breederies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I wouldn't let the age of the exterior sway what the interior is like. There's old brownstones and brick apartments that have been gutted and redone on the inside in the last 5-10 years. That said, those also usually carry a premium, and at OP's price point I agree the odds of it being something that's only had appliances swapped out in the last 30 years is quite likely, especially since landlords have little motivation to update unless they also plan on jacking up rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston