Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 06:56 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

Maybe prices will go down in southie now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 08:11 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,929 times
Will things become fiery but mostly peaceful or will we be limited to the usual Canada Goose expropriation once well-earned manslaughter for failure to render aid is handed down but all the other kkkiller kkkop meme-inspired BS is tossed?

Old 04-20-2021, 09:36 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Will things become fiery but mostly peaceful or will we be limited to the usual Canada Goose expropriation once well-earned manslaughter for failure to render aid is handed down but all the other kkkiller kkkop meme-inspired BS is tossed?
Seems he earned a bit a more ...

No fires, but I'm doubtful the ACAB-memes will be going away anytime soon seeing as there's a seemingly endless supply of low-IQ altercations and cameras video taping them. I don't see the public laying off this trend until issues of qualified immunity and accountability are addressed.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:36 AM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Yes, because there is reason and a deliberative logic based rationale behind mass rioting, property damage and looting.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yes, because there is reason and a deliberative logic based rationale behind mass rioting, property damage and looting.
You're inferring a justification for rioting which isn't there.

Legitimate calls for reform can exist along side less legitimate mass rioting. Note: screaming ACAB isn’t an informed call for reform.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:25 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,929 times
Manslaughter was as clear as day but if the other two don’t get overturned on appeal that whole trial by jury thing might as well get scrapped. And I’m all with you on more accountability where it’s actually needed but getting rid of qualified immunity means every cop arresting a perp who refuses to go willingly will have Crump&Co grifter herd suing them for assault, which in turn means everyone starts resisting and no one gets arrested. I know the screeching purple-haired trustafarian acab brigade doesn’t think that many steps ahead but I highly doubt they’ll be too happy when they start getting relieved of their $1500 iPhones and Canada Goose jackets and occasionally their Subarus right in the middle of previously very safe Coolidge Corner and Davis Square because cops no longer arrest anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Seems he earned a bit a more ...

No fires, but I'm doubtful the ACAB-memes will be going away anytime soon seeing as there's a seemingly endless supply of low-IQ altercations and cameras video taping them. I don't see the public laying off this trend until issues of qualified immunity and accountability are addressed.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:55 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Manslaughter was as clear as day but if the other two don’t get overturned on appeal that whole trial by jury thing might as well get scrapped. And I’m all with you on more accountability where it’s actually needed but getting rid of qualified immunity means every cop arresting a perp who refuses to go willingly will have Crump&Co grifter herd suing them for assault, which in turn means everyone starts resisting and no one gets arrested. I know the screeching purple-haired trustafarian acab brigade doesn’t think that many steps ahead but I highly doubt they’ll be too happy when they start getting relieved of their $1500 iPhones and Canada Goose jackets and occasionally their Subarus right in the middle of previously very safe Coolidge Corner and Davis Square because cops no longer arrest anyone.
If cops require qualified immunity to do their job, they suck at doing their job. If they quit because they don't have qualified immunity anymore, they've tipped their hand that the job wasn't about serving so much as kicking ass and feeling like a Neanderthal tough guy.

Emergency room nurses and doctors deal with many of the same violent actors, and they do it without shooting, tazing, or macing people. They don't complain like children when they can't rough up a kid because he 'looked' mean, and they don't have an overly-powerful union sweeping in to strong-arm hospitals into keeping bad apples on the payroll, even after having been found guilty of misconduct. I don't see them flying silly flags or trying to make other causes' plights about them by saying inane crap like "medical lives matter."

I do love the 3rd grade level thinking of take-our-ball-and-go-home as if the only thing keeping this country on the rails is the BAMF police officers that we should all be thanking daily for saving us. I love how it assumes the police today are doing anything about people who have their phones or jackets stolen (hint: they don't), and that the police keeping criminals fearful (hint: they aren't). What might happen, though, is that a black man can finally drive a BMW or Mercedes without getting pulled over weekly by white trash cops who just assume it must be stolen or that black men don't belong in such cars.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:13 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
If cops require qualified immunity to do their job, they suck at doing their job. If they quit because they don't have qualified immunity anymore, they've tipped their hand that the job wasn't about serving so much as kicking ass and feeling like a Neanderthal tough guy.

Emergency room nurses and doctors deal with many of the same violent actors, and they do it without shooting, tazing, or macing people. They don't complain like children when they can't rough up a kid because he 'looked' mean, and they don't have an overly-powerful union sweeping in to strong-arm hospitals into keeping bad apples on the payroll, even after having been found guilty of misconduct. I don't see them flying silly flags or trying to make other causes' plights about them by saying inane crap like "medical lives matter."

I do love the 3rd grade level thinking of take-our-ball-and-go-home as if the only thing keeping this country on the rails is the BAMF police officers that we should all be thanking daily for saving us. I love how it assumes the police today are doing anything about people who have their phones or jackets stolen (hint: they don't), and that the police keeping criminals fearful (hint: they aren't). What might happen, though, is that a black man can finally drive a BMW or Mercedes without getting pulled over weekly by white trash cops who just assume it must be stolen or that black men don't belong in such cars.

OK Maxine Waters.

But since you obviously know zero about policing, I'm gonna give you a little 101 intro class. The first part might be a little mind blowing for you, that is...SOMETIMES POLICE HAVE TO ARREST BAD GUYS.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
The problem is qualified immunity in its current form has provided shielding for the bad actors, which ... as the public now knows ... are rarely held accountable. We’ve seen numerous examples of police blatantly violating laws/constitutional rights and thanks to a generous interpretation of qualified immunity they often get away with it.

I won’t pretend to know how to fix this issue, but one thing is certain ... there’s an appetite for a shift away from the current status quo. Is there a ton of hyperbole? Misleading coverage? Yes and it’s entirely unhelpful. This said, lower courts and even the SJC (Thomas) have begun to pushback on the scope of qualified immunity. Good.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:15 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The problem is qualified immunity in its current form has provided shielding for the bad actors, which ... as the public now knows ... are rarely held accountable. We’ve seen numerous examples of police blatantly violating laws/constitutional rights and thanks to a generous interpretation of qualified immunity they often get away with it.

Examples please?

Derek Chauvin violated department policy. He would not fall under qualified immunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston