Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 10:11 AM

16,347 posts, read 8,174,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Meh I know plenty of people who were less than stellar in high school, go on to being quite successful adults. Likewise, many honor roll students who went on to get useless degrees and made absolutely nothing out of themselves.
Also true. I know plenty of C students who went to crappy colleges and are now SVPs at pretty reputable companies. But let's just keep harping on cops for being average high school students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 10:27 AM

I've seen mental health providers now putting posts on instagram and facebook saying things like, I've successfully de-escalated teen fights at group homes when they had things like nun-chucks, bricks, knives by blowing a whistle. I didn't resort to shooting children.

Maybe cops should try showing up at domestic calls where people are armed and violent with whistles and see what happens? I'm being serious. Just stand there blowing a whistle to diffuse the situation and see how it works.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:45 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,418 times
Quote:

So it's all public servants you have an issue with, then.
Maybe we don't give the same meaning to this emoji

Old 04-22-2021, 10:58 AM

If people have all these opinions on how policing should be done then why hasn't anything changed?

Old 04-22-2021, 11:14 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,063,706 times
Because people with agenda b*tch and moan, manufacture outrage and demand every cop's head on a stick without offering any real solutions. BLM leadership want to keep the #cash4mansions flowing, politicians want to keep the votes coming, criminals want police gone, useful idiots because, well, they're idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
If people have all these opinions on how policing should be done then why hasn't anything changed?

Old 04-22-2021, 11:51 AM

Interesting read:

https://fatherlyadviceandrants.com/2...w-enforcement/

Old 04-22-2021, 12:19 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Also true. I know plenty of C students who went to crappy colleges and are now SVPs at pretty reputable companies. But let's just keep harping on cops for being average high school students.
Most people I know in law enforcement are the driven types, high achievers. Not necessarily super geniuses, but would be at least above average students. I never really understood where GeoffD gets his "high school C student" idea. Could be more a reflection of his local area.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:31 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
I never really understood where GeoffD gets his "high school C student" idea. Could be more a reflection of his local area.
It is part of the larger myth that people can only be successful if they attend an ivy league school. The primary weakness of that myth is that it measures success objectively (and narrowly) when success is subjective - every person has unique goals in life.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:00 PM

Liberal dems assume all cops are dumb and victimize the criminals they arrest who are really the idiots. It's kind of ironic.

I think most people do feel threatened by cops in some way. I guess it's humiliating or embarrassing to be pulled over. I've seen lawyers and doctors get pulled over and once you get the ticket that's it you're getting it. Doesn't matter who you are. When it can't be talked out if I guess the next step is to berate the person who have you the ticket so you say whatever you can about them to make yourself feel better. If the cop is fat that will be the focus. If nothing else then assume they're dumb or white trash and couldn't do any other job to make yourself feel better after getting a ticket. Or arrested.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:03 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It is part of the larger myth that people can only be successful if they attend an ivy league school. The primary weakness of that myth is that it measures success objectively (and narrowly) when success is subjective - every person has unique goals in life.
That and that there is only one "path" to success. Over time I've detected a bit of resentment on boards like this, from those who might have overpaid or been oversold on a prestigious degree, to find that they have nothing more to show for it than the next guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston