Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 03:55 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Where did you see that or hear that in this video?

All I heard him saying was I'm not reaching for it, and his girlfriend saying hes not reaching for it.

All I heard was the cop saying don't reach for it. No actual warning. He wasn't told he could be shot. The cop never even communicated where Philando's hands actually WERE

Anyway, who is trained to react and deescalate the situation? With Cops like this out there anyone could become flustered and nervous. If he were white he wouldn't have been shot because teh perceived threat level would below.

The only reason you're inclined to believe the cop is because he is white. The only reason you're inclined not to believe Philando is because he is black. And in general, white people do not believe black people's grievances or in their experiences and we've been down that route in other threads in other topics. So it only makes sense thats consistent here.

In these instances its easier because the cop is alive and around to lie and the black person is dead and unable to defend themselves. Convenient for some.

Prior to the gunfire who "protected" and "safe" did the public (Philando and his girlfriend) sound? Is that any barometer of the police doing their job? No?

"Inclined to believe him because he is "white"", and "Philando is black"??? It's right there on the video. He told him 3 times. Even his girlfriend admitted that he reached for his wallet when stating that the officer told him to. I didn't think there was any question about that. Had the cop used better communication and told him to put his hands on the dash once he knew Philando was armed, it's probably safe to say Philando would be alive today. But you cannot say, that he was not given warning.

Quote:
Why does this matter, seriously? It could be 100 years..were talking about how often people get caught. Not the frequency with which people are shot by police.

In that context, all of these numbers are irrelevant. What is "472" supposed to mean, without diving into how many were justified vs. non-justified? There could have been 1,000 police shootings, but every single one was justified for all we know. You are the one making the claim that police are routinely getting away with murder. while failing to demonstrate such via. either examples or stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 04:51 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,063,706 times
It's pretty safe to assume 472 is the total number since the state started keeping records, so probably well over 50 years. Given the fact that there were tens of millions of interactions with police that have taken place over that time period as well as the fact that cops tend to interact with the worst portion of our society 472 is actually a remarkably low number and only 1 out of more than 100,000 encounters was with an individual violent and depraved enough to be shot. But that's not what #BLM wants you to think, they'll just throw that number out there with absolutely no context hoping you'll assume 472 people were killed this year alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
"Inclined to believe him because he is "white"", and "Philando is black"??? It's right there on the video. He told him 3 times. Even his girlfriend admitted that he reached for his wallet when stating that the officer told him to. I didn't think there was any question about that. Had the cop used better communication and told him to put his hands on the dash once he knew Philando was armed, it's probably safe to say Philando would be alive today. But you cannot say, that he was not given warning.

In that context, all of these numbers are irrelevant. What is "472" supposed to mean, without diving into how many were justified vs. non-justified? There could have been 1,000 police shootings, but every single one was justified for all we know. You are the one making the claim that police are routinely getting away with murder. while failing to demonstrate such via. either examples or stats.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:42 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:

Touched on this. The only context that matters is what rate are these officers tried and convicted at a crime. Unless you believe 99% of them were justified (you dont actually..) in homicides then theres a major problem.

If they happened in 1971 does that make them less tragic and if they're unjustified (id assume more than 5% are) are they less of an injsutice? Thats, not context thats just fluff.

But when you argue with people who love cops the basic impulse is anything a cop does is right 99% of the time murder or no. So its a non-starter because you're not approaching this rationally, but are pretending hard that you are.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Actually, we see here live she says know he's not in relation to his gun. We just saw that.

We saw the police officer take his Id in his wallet. We just saw that.

You're default is to make believe 472 shootings were justified and this is why we cannot have an honest conversation massnative. You operate from a position of willful ignorance and arrogance. With a slant towards disbelief of black experience. For that reason we cannot get anything off the ground. There is no situation in which youre default would be to believe a (black) citizen over a police officer.

As far as the police officer would tell us-they're all justified, right? So why even investigate.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
It's pretty safe to assume 472 is the total number since the state started keeping records, so probably well over 50 years. Given the fact that there were tens of millions of interactions with police that have taken place over that time period as well as the fact that cops tend to interact with the worst portion of our society 472 is actually a remarkably low number and only 1 out of more than 100,000 encounters was with an individual violent and depraved enough to be shot. But that's not what #BLM wants you to think, they'll just throw that number out there with absolutely no context hoping you'll assume 472 people were killed this year alone.
So what? This is like the kneeling for the flag strawman.

Kaep: Im kneeling to protest police brutality.

Ignoramuses: Hes disrepescting the troops

Kaep: ?

Me: It is more than occasional that cops are found not guilty of murder when killing people, it only happens .2% of the time in Minnesota:

You: the cops dont kill that many people annually

Me: ?

Old 04-27-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:

don't reach for your gun is NOT a warning that if you move your hands (we don't know that he even did) I will shoot you? What happened to an actual verbal warning, followed by a warning shot? Instead, you fire into an occupied vehicle with no gun drawn on you?

Your default is to believe whatever the police said because your eyes did not see Philando reach for a gun, right? Right.

You heard Philando say he's not reaching, right? Right.

So what do you believe: He reached for the gun and was given fair warning. Racist tendencies. Simple.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:13 PM

Are you being deliberately obtuse, my Farrakhan-supporting friend? There must have been between 50 and 100 million police encounters over the time that heartstring-tugging 472 number has accumulated, are you saying it’s statistically impossible for 1 out of every 100,000-200,000 of those to be with a depraved, violent criminal that requires the use of deadly force and leaves the cop no other choice? Or are you simply not able to count past 472 unless we’re talking about those sweet taxpayer dollars ready to be grifted?

And speaking of chances, what’s your chance of getting shot by a random banger who doesn’t like your hat? My guess is a whole lot higher than 1 in 200,000...

Quote:
So what? This is like the kneeling for the flag strawman.

Kaep: Im kneeling to protest police brutality.

Ignoramuses: Hes disrepescting the troops

Kaep: ?

Me: It is more than occasional that cops are found not guilty of murder when killing people, it only happens .2% of the time in Minnesota:

You: the cops dont kill that many people annually

Me: ?

Last edited by bigfatdude; 04-27-2021 at 07:23 PM..

Old 04-27-2021, 07:15 PM

And there it is ladies and gentlemen, the warning shot! And if the perp did pull the gun out, why didn’t the cop use his taser, and if the taser didn’t work why didn’t he shoot the gun out of the perp’s hand? And if you disagree with any of the above you’re a subhuman yakub-bred cracka racist!

Quote:
don't reach for your gun is NOT a warning that if you move your hands (we don't know that he even did) I will shoot you? What happened to an actual verbal warning, followed by a warning shot? Instead, you fire into an occupied vehicle with no gun drawn on you?

Your default is to believe whatever the police said because your eyes did not see Philando reach for a gun, right? Right.

So what do you believe: He reached for the gun and was given fair warning. Racist tendencies. Simple.

Last edited by bigfatdude; 04-27-2021 at 07:24 PM..

Old 04-28-2021, 07:58 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,174,665 times
This is pretty outrageous:

https://www.boston25news.com/news/lo...EKXBOLPLOMKUI/

Probably won't be talked about much since since it wasn't a white dude attacking the woman or a cop.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:41 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Touched on this. The only context that matters is what rate are these officers tried and convicted at a crime. Unless you believe 99% of them were justified (you dont actually..) in homicides then theres a major problem.

If they happened in 1971 does that make them less tragic and if they're unjustified (id assume more than 5% are) are they less of an injsutice? Thats, not context thats just fluff.

But when you argue with people who love cops the basic impulse is anything a cop does is right 99% of the time murder or no. So its a non-starter because you're not approaching this rationally, but are pretending hard that you are.
The ONLY numbers that matter in this argument are a. numbers of unjustified shootings by police officers and b. number of those shootings where those same cops are or aren't convicted. Until we see those numbers, there is no sense even having this conversation. And you have provided neither, so...

Quote:
Actually, we see here live she says know he's not in relation to his gun. We just saw that.

We saw the police officer take his Id in his wallet. We just saw that.

You're default is to make believe 472 shootings were justified and this is why we cannot have an honest conversation massnative. You operate from a position of willful ignorance and arrogance. With a slant towards disbelief of black experience. For that reason we cannot get anything off the ground. There is no situation in which youre default would be to believe a (black) citizen over a police officer.

As far as the police officer would tell us-they're all justified, right? So why even investigate.
I watched the video again, it looks like he did have his wallet at one point??? Now this really doesn't make sense. Why would the girlfriend later claim that he was reaching for his wallet because he was told to, if the cop already had it? And why would he still be reaching for something? I guess we really don't know any of the facts now.

As for me? I look at everything on a case by case basis with a fresh set of eyes. I understand that each one of those 472 shootings has a unique background and story, and not one of them can be judged without knowing the full facts behind them. You realize most people killed by police are white right? It seems you are the one with a habit of compartmentalizing everything, "white cop=bad", "black subject=innocent".

Quote:

Because I can't imagine why he would tell him not to reach for it 3 times if he was not reaching for "something", can you?

"Warning shot"??? Since when do police fire warning shots? This isn't Hollywood, bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston