Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 AM

46 posts, read 201,998 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how do the numbers of homeless people compare to other big cities like San Francisco and London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 AM

137 posts, read 394,717 times
ive heard that boston is usually in the top 5 when it comes to homelessness. LA is always #1, NYC is usually #2, and Chicago, Philly, Indianapolis, San Antonion also are pretty bad. San Francisco is known as having one of the highest percentages of homeless, but its a smaller city

Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,034 times
If I was homeless, I would live in LA or San Diego. I wouldn't want to be a bum in Boston. It's just too damn cold in the winter.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:34 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,473,803 times
I had a business associate from SF visit here in BOS just yesterday. My son and I took him, his wife, and two boys on a short guided walk around in Boston Common, Chinatown, ultimately to South Station.

There was the average contingent of homeless present in the Common that always float up from St Francis house & the HV shelter. My friend from SF was a right-leaning politically minded person and he was specifically asking about homelessness in Boston - essentially asking if we have a homeless problem here. He didn't even notice that we walked right by a crowd of dozen homeless people on our way to the children's playground in the Common. They were essentially invisible to him.

The short answer is yes we have a significant homeless population in Boston, but no it is not as extensive as SF and panhandlers are far less aggressive, in fact often polite.

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 05-09-2008 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-09-2008, 02:46 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
If I was homeless, I would live in LA or San Diego. I wouldn't want to be a bum in Boston. It's just too damn cold in the winter.
I agree. Much easier to be homeless somewhere warm than cold.

Just from visiting cities I noticed a lot of homeless people in San Francisco. Boston definitely has its fair share also, but of all the cities I've been to I noticed the most in San Fran.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:05 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,239 times
One homeless person I spoke with said that in Boston you will never go hungry or without a bed if you are homeless. He also advised that giving panhandlers money for food or coffee is just a scam since there are plenty of places with free meals and drop in centers with coffee. The money they collect goes to drugs or booze.

I never give the panhandlers any money. I support the shelters instead. Like St. Francis House and the Vet's Shelter. At least that way I know it goes to help them, and maybe encourage them to get into treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: