Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 09:26 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
All those Globe articles are behind a paywall, but I doubt if any of those gestures counter all the efforts he has spent over the years fighting and attacking his own party (some of whom he owes his election in 2016 to). Really, he has been a greater asset to the Democrats than any actual "Democrat" in recent memory.
Yea RINO this, RINO that. He still wants “sensible” republicans in office. Soft paywall by the way if you wanna live on the wild side.

The Mass. GOP is in a state of atrophy and waning numbers in the state legislature. It’s run by total bozos. Baker is extending an olive branch to guide them back towards legitimacy. I doubt they take it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
These are the people I don’t want around me. Is that racist

https://www.boston.com/news/crime/20...wBLpQ_9nNDhli0

There’s a single mother, wealthy, fairly high profile republican living behind me and I’m worried about her as well. My daughter already saw her outside in a bra. People worry about their neighbors.
It’s not racist to dislike yankees fans. But seriously do you think new townhomes are going to people with criminal records who are likely underemployed? You realize most people anywhere you go are just normal working folks, right?

Old 04-27-2022, 09:42 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
People don’t want to listen to other peoples crap. Particularly once they have kids. I lived in Dorchester and listening to people yelling on the phone on the porch, drinking/smoking on the porch. Having cops be called to intervene. A crazy neighbor of mine who I did speak to a few times was hit by a car and killed because she was on some sort of substance. I feel bad for these people but I don’t want to live near them now. And I can tell you that plent or white women I know have never lived in a neighborhood like ive lived in. Believe it or not I’m more woke than you’d think. I’m not a CFO from San Jose living in concord pretending.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:43 PM

122 posts, read 81,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There’s uproar about a lot of things. It’s funny though because 40B exists I don’t know why you don’t think this will exist to: it will. And maybe towns will eat the penalty- most won’t, it’ll be similar to 40B and good for the regions future, even if progress is piecemeal. Not every town is Lincoln btw- far from it.
It’s actuallly written quite differently from 40B. This new legislation only has the carrot if you will - the grants - but no stick. It doesn’t override any town zoning rule. The other thing about this rule is the density is absurd too, 15 units per acre in at least 50 acres? That just never going to happen.

The towns served by the T like Brookline stand to lose a bit more but commuter rail towns barely see any money anyway. My guess is that the town review the rules and makes them less draconian but many towns will just give the State the middle finger and perhaps even close the stations if they get cocky. Barely anybody rides them anyway.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:00 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Yea RINO this, RINO that. He still wants “sensible” republicans in office. Soft paywall by the way if you wanna live on the wild side.

The Mass. GOP is in a state of atrophy and waning numbers in the state legislature. It’s run by total bozos. Baker is extending an olive branch to guide them back towards legitimacy. I doubt they take it though.

PLEASE. A "sensible" Republican to him is one of his chosen few little yes men that he has a full grasp over. Going by his past, you think he doesn't want ANY Republicans in office beyond that. The current state of the GOP is at least partially his fault.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
People don’t want to listen to other peoples crap. Particularly once they have kids. I lived in Dorchester and listening to people yelling on the phone on the porch, drinking/smoking on the porch. Having cops be called to intervene. A crazy neighbor of mine who I did speak to a few times was hit by a car and killed because she was on some sort of substance. I feel bad for these people but I don’t want to live near them now. And I can tell you that plent or white women I know have never lived in a neighborhood like ive lived in. Believe it or not I’m more woke than you’d think. I’m not a CFO from San Jose living in concord pretending.
So it’s either Dorchester or pure peace. Get real. So much gradient your willing to overlook to make a weak point.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclel View Post
It’s actuallly written quite differently from 40B. This new legislation only has the carrot if you will - the grants - but no stick. It doesn’t override any town zoning rule. The other thing about this rule is the density is absurd too, 15 units per acre in at least 50 acres? That just never going to happen.

The towns served by the T like Brookline stand to lose a bit more but commuter rail towns barely see any money anyway. My guess is that the town review the rules and makes them less draconian but many towns will just give the State the middle finger and perhaps even close the stations if they get cocky. Barely anybody rides them anyway.
So where was the 1942 “precedent”when 40B was passed just 27 years later? That’s my point.

Additionally given the current state of politics and traffic no towns will be closing their commuter rail station in protest. That’s from a bygone era. A lot of these towns the law applies to already lack bus stops let alone commuter rail stations.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
PLEASE. A "sensible" Republican to him is one of his chosen few little yes men that he has a full grasp over. Going by his past, you think he doesn't want ANY Republicans in office beyond that. The current state of the GOP is at least partially his fault.
I don’t care at all what this dysfunctional political party does. I will eat my popcorn and watch it all burn gleefully. I’m telling you what he wants to do…No republicans are sensible any way.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:42 PM

122 posts, read 81,790 times
Quote:
So where was the 1942 “precedent”when 40B was passed just 27 years later? That’s my point.

Additionally given the current state of politics and traffic no towns will be closing their commuter rail station in protest. That’s from a bygone era. A lot of these towns the law applies to already lack bus stops let alone commuter rail stations.
I didn’t say that case would halt every single project that did not comply with town zoning. I am also not arguing that no more housing will be built now. Progressives have made this a big part of their agenda and they will look for some victories. My point is that there are enough defensive legal maneuvers a committed town can use to put the brakes on development even for 40B, which is far more overreaching than this new law. 40B was enacted 53 years ago and Weston among other towns still is below the threshold!

Old 04-27-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclel View Post
I didn’t say that case would halt every single project that did not comply with town zoning. I am also not arguing that no more housing will be built now. Progressives have made this a big part of their agenda and they will look for some victories. My point is that there are enough defensive legal maneuvers a committed town can use to put the brakes on development even for 40B, which is far more overreaching than this new law. 40B was enacted 53 years ago and Weston among other towns still is below the threshold!
Yet Weston still has affordable housing and more on the way probably thanks to 40B. It’s produced tens of thousands of affordable housing units across the state. Only ~12% of municipalities statewide don’t have affordable housing at all….with many more Boston area towns hitting that 10% threshold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston