Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 02:14 PM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They might make a side trip, incidental to their weekend or week in town. It's not going to be the draw though.
Right, and I think that's kind of the point. I'm not saying that people will come here just to visit Mattapan. I'm not even saying that the campaign will be wholly effective. But Boston's a big enough city with plenty worthwhile to see outside of the city center. I'm on board with anything that puts the spotlight on the neighborhoods, people, and businesses that don't typically grace the pages of Boston tourism spreads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 02:15 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Right, and I think that's kind of the point. I'm not saying that people will come here just to visit Mattapan. I'm not even saying that the campaign will be wholly effective. But Boston's a big enough city with plenty worthwhile to see outside of the city center. I'm on board with anything that puts the spotlight on the neighborhoods, people, and businesses that don't typically grace the pages of Boston tourism spreads.
I agree to that much, I just don't see attracting a new kind of visitor in any large about. The city would have to change before the PR.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:17 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
So what is it about Roxbury that's going to attract a black tourist from Chicago?
Again, there's literally a brand new website for this...that exist to answer your question. That is linked here.

Your question speaks volumes as to why this campaign is launching locally first. Aside from a total lack of knowledge- there is minimal value placed on Black Culture/History.venues/Landmarks in Boston by white people native to the area, let alone by people who are not from the arais. It borders on open disdain/resentment.

But District 7 Tavern, Malcolm X's childhood House, MLK's 2nd church, The mosque Louis Farrakhan Founded, The National Museum of Afro American Artists, Jazz Urban Cafe (coming soon), Soleil, Pure Oasis, Suya Joint, Agas Highland Tap, Franklin Park, Nubian Gallery, Black Market, Fort Hill bar and Grill, Top Mix Bar and Grill.

Black people from all over the US come to DC just to go to Bens Chili Bowl. Black people from all over the US go to Chicago and make sure to at Harold's Chicken. The idea is to elevate those equivalent businesses in Boston.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I agree to that much, I just don't see attracting a new kind of visitor in any large about. The city would have to change before the PR.
The city has changed though. The PR is what needs to change. In Kim Janey's word "its powerful that this campaign represents Boston as it exists today"

Old 04-05-2021, 02:21 PM

The entire point is to attract visitors who would want to go off the beaten path. Probably not aimed directly at the conventional white suburban upper-middle class tourist families right now.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:22 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not a single image of a Black or Latino person on that tab lmao (and you have to click a West Roxbury or Roslindale Link to get to it) despite Rozzy and HP being about 60% Black/Latino
As of 2017, Roslindale was 44% Black/Latino. http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...1-d042dd3eb37b

Quote:
"Where we tell you all about the most interesting and authentic experiences awaiting you outside the city center. In this edition we explore the areas of West Roxbury and Roslindale, easily accessible aboard the commuter rail and definitely doable as a one-day excursion."

"BOSTON NEIGHBORHOODS BLOG – ROSLINDALE & WEST ROXBURY"
Oop. Yeah, someone definitely dropped a ball here lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Who in his/her right mind is going to travel from out of state to see anything more than the city center + Cambridge in Boston? It doesn't matter the campaign none wants to see Mattapan, Hyde Park, Brookline or Sommerville. I have been to Sommerville twice and I lived in Boston for like 10 years lol
I think Somerville already has a tourism draw similar to Cambridge outside of Harvard Square. I could see Mattapan being a draw if the Caribbean influence is marketed correctly. Nubian is already going in on branding and it's just outside of already-touristy Fenway and South End. Allston could be more happening if West Station ever happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
But Boston's a big enough city with plenty worthwhile to see outside of the city center.
There's also the difference in hype between squares north and south of downtown. Codman is roughly the same distance from DTX as Davis, for example.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-05-2021 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-05-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
As of 2017, Roslindale was 44% Black/Latino. http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...1-d042dd3eb37b

Oop. Yeah, someone definitely dropped a ball here lol.
I averaged it with adjacent Hyde Park...I have Roslindale at different percentages on different sources

48% black Latino 02131 (2019): https://censusreporter.org/profiles/86000US02131-02131/

51% Black/Latino on Niche: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...-ma/residents/

Even if it were 44% they dropped the ball by not managing to get one face of color, nor any mention of Haitian/Domincan Culture. Didnt even get any minority-owned restaurant any shine.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:30 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Again, there's literally a brand new website for this...that exist to answer your question. That is linked here.

Your question speaks volumes as to why this campaign is launching locally first. Aside from a total lack of knowledge- there is minimal value placed on Black Culture/History.venues/Landmarks in Boston by white people native to the area, let alone by people who are not from the arais. It borders on open disdain/resentment.

But District 7 Tavern, Malcolm X's childhood House, MLK's 2nd church, The mosque Louis Farrakhan Founded, The National Museum of Afro American Artists, Jazz Urban Cafe (coming soon), Soleil, Pure Oasis, Suya Joint, Agas Highland Tap, Franklin Park, Nubian Gallery, Black Market, Fort Hill bar and Grill, Top Mix Bar and Grill.

Black people from all over the US come to DC just to go to Bens Chili Bowl. Black people from all over the US go to Chicago and make sure to at Harold's Chicken. The idea is to elevate those equivalent businesses in Boston.
Forgive my ignorance, but I have a hard time believing people come from all over the US solely to visit a single spot like that (typical masses anyway), nor can I picture that with these Boston equivalents. Those cities are magnets in themselves. Boston is not. It has nothing on NYC, D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, L.A., N.O. (probably not done yet).

Boston has really not changed all that much in that respect. It's still super expensive, both lodging and dining. It's not warm most of the year. Again, no remarkable nightlife or beach scene. The stuff that appeals to the standard tourists of all races.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:34 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Even if it were 44% they dropped the ball by not managing to get one face of color, nor any mention of Haitian/Domincan Culture. Didnt even get any minority-owned restaurant any shine.
Mmhmm. Touché.

Quote:
Boston has really not changed all that much in that respect. It's still super expensive, both lodging and dining. It's not warm most of the year. Again, no remarkable nightlife or beach scene. The stuff that appeals to the standard tourists of all races.
Yes, all those things are sorely needed and would be great. But that doesn't mean a marketing campaign wouldn't help. Two separate issues.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:37 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,026 times
I liked Maaaahty's union shenanigans a lot more - at least they built of fixed stuff for us in return for our tax dollars unlike what's happening now, with money just disappearing and taxpayers getting absolutely nothing in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston