Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 06:48 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,063,706 times

Advertisements

Tons and tons of new construction? Say, who’s going to build all that “new construction” with rent control, when any construction project’s books will be in deeper red than Lenin’s favorite banner? You, perhaps, because you’re so generous? Or are you only generous with someone else’s money? And who’s going to invest in maintaining the existing rental housing stock now under rent control when one can barely break even?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Rent control on buildings with 7+ units,

plus tons and tons of new construction

20% affordable housing mandate no higher than 80% AMI

5 year Boston residency preference on new construction in LMI areas.

and a relentless push t for regional buy in (already exists)

Advocate endlessly to state legislature for CR rapidification and a millionaires tax.

Eliminate the option for off-site affordable units

Eliminate the BPDA and create the Boston City Planning Department with a reformed, streamlined zoning by code thats looks towards 2050

Mandatory Gentrification impact study for any residential project containing 9+ Units

Free MBTA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 07:30 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Tons and tons of new construction? Say, who’s going to build all that “new construction” with rent control, when any construction project’s books will be in deeper red than Lenin’s favorite banner? You, perhaps, because you’re so generous? Or are you only generous with someone else’s money? And who’s going to invest in maintaining the existing rental housing stock now under rent control when one can barely break even?
Removal of the need for variance approval and a much much shorter community input period should cut back on litigation costs and a simplified zoning code should speed up the entire process. Along with and a reasonable cpa on YoY increase (4-5%) we can do this.

Also, I would propose that with the submission of proper documentation of renovations of repairs to the BCPD, that increase caps can be adjusted to cover the cost of the repair over a short span of years (2-3).

E.G. If you submit receipts of $9,000 worth of work on any given unit-that additional cost can be factored in over the span of 36 months allowing for an additional increase of $250 per month in rent over 3 years.

A $1900 apartment, could in theory increase its price to $2,245 YoY given my proposal. New construction -thats more likely to come in at $2,900-could increase its rent to 3,295 YoY under my proposal. In a building with 10 new units your liking at a YoY net increase of $47,400 in rent payment. If that’s not reasonable to one developers others will gladly take that space.

Landlord if, speculative markets and offshore money hideouts should not be given free reign. Tamping down in that may lower the desirability of Boston amongst elites but that’s precisely what brings costs down, you have to artificially suppress and cool the market.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:42 PM

That’s nice and dandy but comrade Wuskin wants straight up rent control. I know we had this conversation before and you claimed she never said it but there she is again, stepping into the same pile of sh*t. And let’s not forget her gentrification “studies,” 20% free (for all intents and purposes) units and all the other Maoesque goodies that will have any sane developer staying at least 10 light years away.

Also that’s a lot of proposals - has comrade wuskin offered you a spot at her feeding trough so you can finally slop on all those sweet, unlimited taxpayer dollars?

Quote:
Removal of the need for variance approval and a much much shorter community input period should cut back on litigation costs and a simplified zoning code should speed up the entire process. Along with and a reasonable cpa on YoY increase (4-5%) we can do this.

Also, I would propose that with the submission of proper documentation of renovations of repairs to the BCPD, that increase caps can be adjusted to cover the cost of the repair over a short span of years (2-3).

E.G. If you submit receipts of $9,000 worth of work on any given unit-that additional cost can be factored in over the span of 36 months allowing for an additional increase of $250 per month in rent over 3 years.

A $1900 apartment, could in theory increase its price to $2,245 YoY given my proposal. New construction -thats more likely to come in at $2,900-could increase its rent to 3,295 YoY under my proposal. In a building with 10 new units your liking at a YoY net increase of $47,400 in rent payment. If that’s not reasonable to one developers others will gladly take that space.

Landlord if, speculative markets and offshore money hideouts should not be given free reign. Tamping down in that may lower the desirability of Boston amongst elites but that’s precisely what brings costs down, you have to artificially suppress and cool the market.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
That’s nice and dandy but comrade Wuskin wants straight up rent control. I know we had this conversation before and you claimed she never said it but there she is again, stepping into the same pile of sh*t. And let’s not forget her gentrification “studies,” 20% free (for all intents and purposes) units and all the other Maoesque goodies that will have any sane developer staying at least 10 light years away.

Also that’s a lot of proposals - has comrade wuskin offered you a spot at her feeding trough so you can finally slop on all those sweet, unlimited taxpayer dollars?
That’s a new stated position by Wu. Obviously a move to hedge left of Janey.

I’ve had a chance to ask questions to candidates at the Black Boston virtual forum last week.

I made that proposal a couple years ago and I’ll submit it to the Campbell, Janey, and Wu campaigns, and give them a call. Simply because I care. I would ultimately like to work in city government before getting into development myself. I won’t get to into the details but my workplace would be greatly benefited by a Janey administration so I do have a bias outside of her being black. I am a Commonwealth Seminar alum as well so I sort of do expect to be back in Boston at some point. Especially given my fathers property...and retirement form the State.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:24 PM

So let’s try again now that we’ve established comrade Wuskin is in fact pro-rent control - why would anybody other than the smooth-brained $300,000 theoretical Marxism studies degree “revolutionary” coffee slingers vote for a candidate who supports a policy that has been proven to ensure zero new construction and zero investment in the maintenance and upkeep of the existing rental stock?

Also what was all that babbling about white privilege earlier now that you’ve disclosed you’re set to inherit daddy’s real estate portfolio? Sounds like you’re the privileged one here!

Quote:
That’s a new stated position by Wu. Obviously a move to hedge left of Janey.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:01 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
They made free bus and streetcar in Kansas City MO but fare revenue was only something like 7% of the operating cost of the system so not that hard to implement free service. Harder with a system like MBTA. In any case it's state-controlled so the Mayor of Boston can't force the issue. Maybe makes the candidate attractive to many voters but it's not something the mayor can do. She can dissolve the BPDA but that's unlikely and I don't think it has the same appeal it might have to the long-gone white ethnic voters of Charlestown and Allston who didn't want another West End demo job in their neighborhoods. BRA worked with the Snowdens and other Roxbury community leaders on its Washington Park urban renewal in the '60s with vastly superior results. Even so, Warren Gardens and Academy Homes and all that stuff seems not so great in hindsight. Decent living spaces but bland, boring and anti-urban. Warren St is just a "stroad" now.

I do like the rail electrification idea, making regional rail with raised platforms and electric trainsets would change the whole dynamic. But lobby for limitations on single family zoning too-- It's not much of an issue in Boston itself but it severely constricts the housing supply in the metro area.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:16 PM

Doing so will require higher taxes and it will be a very tough sell given the fact that MBTA is mostly staffed by union goons with weekly 160 hour self-approved timecards and full pension at 45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
They made free bus and streetcar in Kansas City MO but fare revenue was only something like 7% of the operating cost of the system so not that hard to implement free service. Harder with a system like MBTA. In any case it's state-controlled so the Mayor of Boston can't force the issue. Maybe makes the candidate attractive to many voters but it's not something the mayor can do. She can dissolve the BPDA but that's unlikely and I don't think it has the same appeal it might have to the long-gone white ethnic voters of Charlestown and Allston who didn't want another West End demo job in their neighborhoods. BRA worked with the Snowdens and other Roxbury community leaders on its Washington Park urban renewal in the '60s with vastly superior results. Even so, Warren Gardens and Academy Homes and all that stuff seems not so great in hindsight. Decent living spaces but bland, boring and anti-urban. Warren St is just a "stroad" now.

I do like the rail electrification idea, making regional rail with raised platforms and electric trainsets would change the whole dynamic. But lobby for limitations on single family zoning too-- It's not much of an issue in Boston itself but it severely constricts the housing supply in the metro area.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post

I do like the rail electrification idea, making regional rail with raised platforms and electric trainsets would cha.nge the whole dynamic. But lobby for limitations on single family zoning too-- It's not much of an issue in Boston itself but it severely constricts the housing supply in the metro area.
I think Warren Gardens and Academy homes I great. I use to live in Maksdale Gardens. It's still a pretty dense and multifunctional neihgborhood. The Washington Park Renewal got the Trotter School built, as well as the adjacent playground, Malcolm X Park, the Shelburne Community Center, the Mall of Roxbury, the Boys and Girls Club, MLK Senior Apartments, and a major arterial road. Overall I think that's a family-oriented area with co-ops and it preserved a decent amount of original buildings. There is plenty of "urban" right across the street from Warren Gardens. I like seeing different eras of urban archtiecture.

Well.. fare-free is DOA because they're already struggling to install the $1B fare collecting system and its going to be 12-18 months late...A mayor has significant sway though, due to the bully pulpit. You can always apply the pressure.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:26 PM

12,839 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Well.. fare-free is DOA because they're already struggling to install the $1B fare collecting system and its going to be 12-18 months late...A mayor has significant sway though, due to the bully pulpit. You can always apply the pressure.
I agree that going fare-free system wide is a nonstarter, but it could be done certain lines. It's already been done on the Silver Line from the airport to South Station (with free transfer to the Red and the rest of the subway network), and that probably benefits the most well-off riders in the system outside of the commuter rail and ferry lines. Certainly the most affluent riding the bus network.

In fantasyland, I'd love to see Fairmount converted to either light rail and run as a branch of the Green Line (tunnel from Newmarket, emerging near Tremont/Berkeley, and running along the surface on Tremont between Berkeley and Charles/Oak and going under again at the existing unused portal and tunnel at Eliot Norton Park and merging at the Boylston stop), or heavy rapid rail and run as a spur of the Orange Line (tunnel from Newmarket, connecting to the OL network at the curve where the OL leaves the I-90 and turns north to Tufts/NE Med). You could do those spurs/branches without fares, just like you do on the Silver Line from the airport.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:41 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
I think Warren Gardens and Academy homes I great. I use to live in Maksdale Gardens. It's still a pretty dense and multifunctional neihgborhood. The Washington Park Renewal got the Trotter School built, as well as the adjacent playground, Malcolm X Park, the Shelburne Community Center, the Mall of Roxbury, the Boys and Girls Club, MLK Senior Apartments, and a major arterial road. Overall I think that's a family-oriented area with co-ops and it preserved a decent amount of original buildings. There is plenty of "urban" right across the street from Warren Gardens. I like seeing different eras of urban archtiecture.
It did preserve a lot of older buildings, that's true. I wish they'd left the brick mixed commercial-residential buildings along the west side of Warren and not made it so wide but that's the 60s for you. The mall seems pretty lame but the Trotter school is very good architecturally. If it's really a solid family-oriented area with limited equity coops then so much the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston