Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2021, 09:48 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
City of Boston never supported a straight pride parade. They had to allow it but the city was very much against it to be totally fair. Still, someone thought Boston would be a good place for it. Thats very much the antithesis of inclusive.
Yeah its not a good look for the city who is trying to circumvent this name of being behind the times/not inclusive.

I understand the City really may have not supported it, but someone allowed it like you said. And it was supposed to return for year two. .. and quite frankly, a lot of people in the suburbs supported it.

Like Im gay.. but noone really knows as Im pretty Alpha. I know for me atleast, I didn't tell anyone outside m close knit group in Massachusetts. It was like a huge hold back. What do those are actually out feel about this? It just brings a certain cohort of people's true colors out... I now can more/better understand the Black communities' struggle BETTER in Boston. It is kind of eye opening. It a different ballgame here in NJ.. (for the better)

But yeah, I really appreciate the effort by Mayor Janey. Im sure she is 2200% sincere on this issue.. but a lot of Boston isnt. And thats the issue where I call BS on (not on her, I love Mayor Janey and think she is what Boston needs right now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 09:56 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah its not a good look for the city who is trying to circumvent this name of being behind the times/not inclusive.

I understand the City really may have not supported it, but someone allowed it like you said. And it was supposed to return for year two. .. and quite frankly, a lot of people in the suburbs supported it.

Like Im gay.. but noone really knows as Im pretty Alpha. I know for me atleast, I didn't tell anyone outside m close knit group in Massachusetts. It was like a huge hold back. What do those are actually out feel about this? It just brings a certain cohort of people's true colors out... I now can more/better understand the Black communities' struggle BETTER in Boston. It is kind of eye opening. It a different ballgame here in NJ.. (for the better)

But yeah, I really appreciate the effort by Mayor Janey. Im sure she is 2200% sincere on this issue.. but a lot of Boston isnt. And thats the issue where I call BS on (not on her, I love Mayor Janey and think she is what Boston needs right now)

Once again, on what grounds could the City of Boston have stopped these people from peacefully assembling and exercising their right to free speech?

Old 05-04-2021, 09:56 AM

I never do the traditional things.. again an ideal 'date' to me is a Bruins or Sox game and then going to the club after.

But I hear from other forums, the gay scene in Boston is trash. venues are closing at a rapid rate and slurs are used alot .. in the suburbs chiefly too.

Boston has work to do.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:58 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Does the City of Boston still support the Straight Pride Parade?

Because this whole thing would make Boston look like a damn fool.

Honestly, I hear that more now than Boston being racist... how they are anti-LGBT with this straight pride parade stuff. You can't really be 'all inclusive with this'
Quote:

The biggest difference is there no being in the closet about being black. You're judged on Black before your mouth is opened. And its followed with assumptions about fmaily structure, intelligence, criminality, place residence as well as the moral failure bit gays experience

In NJ Philly NYC gay people are far more visible from what I see... as are black people. And that doesn't elicit the same weird body language you'll get in Boston/MA in centralized/popular areas. No one really bats an eye because its all so normalized

Old 05-04-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
The biggest difference is there no being in the closet about being black. You're judged on Black before your mouth is opened. And its followed with assumptions about fmaily structure, intelligence, criminality, place residence as well as the moral failure bit gays experience

In NJ Philly NYC gay people are far more visible from what I see... as are black people. And that doesn't elicit the same weird body language you'll get in Boston/MA in centralized/popular areas. No one really bats an eye because its all so normalized
Exactly, you are Black from birth and it's a lot harder to black than gay in Massachusetts. I think my anecdotal experience just shows how much harder it is being black and when you see struggles in area that is easier to be in, than another.. you start to rationalize and open your eyes a lot more.

Yeah things need to be more normalized in Massachusetts.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:16 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
I would day it's definitely harder to be black than gay anywhere in the US. If not for everything I listed but also the damaged traumatized. and impoverished family history that often comes with being black. Boston isn't a leader in QOL for either party. But I'm not gay so let me not overstep entirely. Parts of MA seem nice to be gay though, out west and Ptown. Boston is not those places though.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I would day it's definitely harder to be black than gay anywhere in the US. If not for everything I listed but also the damaged traumatized. and impoverished family history that often comes with being black. Boston isn't a leader in QOL for either party. But I'm not gay so let me not overstep entirely. Parts of MA seem nice to be gay though, out west and Ptown. Boston is not those places though.
Yeah i agree. I definitely wanted to put my two sense on this movement a page back.

I hate talking about my anecdotal experience and this will probably be the only time in months il bring it up.. but i just found it hypocritical of a city

Old 05-04-2021, 10:53 AM

3,213 posts, read 2,120,946 times
you getting upset over a straight pride parade is the same closed mindedness of someone being upset about a gay pride parade. freedom of speech does not only protected the protected class. Don't pay attention. I chose to not pay attention to things I don't care for. It will really help your QOL weather you are gay, straight, black, or white.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:52 AM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
you getting upset over a straight pride parade is the same closed mindedness of someone being upset about a gay pride parade. freedom of speech does not only protected the protected class. Don't pay attention. I chose to not pay attention to things I don't care for. It will really help your QOL weather you are gay, straight, black, or white.
No, it really isn't the same at all. The problem with this attitude is that it assumes all factors are equal and that it's merely a difference of opinion and tastes. It's not. "Gay pride" came to exist as a way to empower a marginalized minority of the population that had long been discriminated against and forced to hide who they are or live fake lives. Less than 20 years ago, they couldn't get married. There's still debate over what the extent of discrimination against the LGBTQ community is allowable, and there's still an overwhelmingly large anti-gay segment of the population that would immediately wipe any progress the LGBTQ community has made off of the books if they were allowed to. But they're not allowed to because the LGBTQ community (and their allies) continue to openly push for equality.

"Straight pride," on the other hand, is a direct response from a bunch of snowflakes who are convinced they're some sort of "oppressed majority" and are victims of the "LGTBQ agenda." It's meant entirely as a function to minimize the LGBTQ community's efforts for equality and fight back against homosexuality which they feel is being "pushed" on everyone.

One's a group still pushing for equal treatment, the other is a group feigning to be victims in order to slow down or reverse that push. Not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston