Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 10:28 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm with you on all of this apart from the "anti-Christian smear campaign" piece. Not sure that any of it was part of some sort of crusade (hah!) against Christians.

In the world of corporate America, the bar is not set very high. Nobody can say with a straight face, that any actions by this company or its CEO are any worse than the average corporation. I speak from 2nd hand experiences of those I know within the restaurant industry, including one who previously managed a Chic-fil-a location. The one thing distinguishing them from the others, is of course their Christian "closed on Sunday" company culture. To say they haven't been singled out for that, I think is a bit naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 10:31 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I would have loved if they opened in the Fontain's chicken spot in West Rox and kept the famous masturbating chicken sign

Fontaine's, why did you have to bring that place up?

Old 05-05-2021, 10:35 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Chick-fil-A is planning to open its first Boston location

https://www.boston.com/food/restaura...oston-location
That's about 2.5 years old. I think the project is dead. But they'll eventually open one here and likely in a central location (like Back Bay or downtown). They're all over Manhattan at this point.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:40 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree that the city shouldn't forbid the event. I think it's a terrible event, a platform for discriminatory rhetoric, and something that really doesn't look great being held in the city. But I also believe in free speech and acknowledge the group has a legal right to hold the event. I actually believe that the best way to deal with it is exactly how it was dealt with - allow it to proceed and have those opposed to it come out and counter protest loudly. Don't ignore it, don't ban it, but be more visible in opposition.
Well, I agree.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
In the world of corporate America, the bar is not set very high. Nobody can say with a straight face, that any actions by this company or its CEO are any worse than the average corporation. I speak from 2nd hand experiences of those I know within the restaurant industry, including one who previously managed a Chic-fil-a location. The one thing distinguishing them from the others, is of course their Christian "closed on Sunday" company culture. To say they haven't been singled out for that, I think is a bit naive.
I think this is a bit of a reach to find something more sinister that just isn't there. Having lived in the epicenter of outrage during peak Chic-Fil-A resistance, the anger was really just that the CEO was donating to organizations that took anti-LGBTQ stances. That's it. Many of the angriest people were Christians themselves. I don't know who of anyone who really cares that they're closed on Sundays (apart from me, because it would be a great stop on the way home from a weekend trip) because it's a Christian-owned chain and I don't know of any other CEOs (no matter how shady some of them may be) donating to organizations with anti-LGBTQ (or similar) stances.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
It's western european countries that are the most accepting. NW and W europe broadly is the most accepting region on Earth. We can say white people don't exist but that doesn't change anything. You know full well what it means and refers to within the context of the US.
Yes, in the context of the US, but you applied that context to the rest of the world.
Had you said Western/Northern Europe, NA and few others are the most progressive areas in the world at the moment I would have agreed.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:48 AM

Why are so many people excited about chick-fil-a? I have been once and I found the food to be the same low-ish quality you get in any fast-food. If you want to eat good chicken that are plenty of much better small businesses.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:48 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Not quite. Chic-Fil-A made their own decision not to come at the time, due to a letter written by Menino suggesting they were unwelcome.
yea aight.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:50 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I wonder what BBMM's thoughts are on gay acceptance in Jamaica. People still are getting killed over the slight hint of homosexuality there.
You really had to go to Jamaica. I don't care about what Jamaica does. My thought are that's their business and I'm not an imperialist. So ill mind my business. I'm talking about BOSTON or at the very least the United States.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Why are so many people excited about chick-fil-a? I have been once and I found the food to be the same low-ish quality you get in any fast-food. If you want to eat good chicken that are plenty of much better small businesses.
You're not wrong. I have a few really good spots right in my neighborhood that I'd take over Chick-Fil-A almost any day of the week (and I do frequent them much more often than fast food chains). But compared to the fast food chains, I do think their chicken is a notch above. Every few months I'll get a spicy chicken and waffle fries with extra Chick-Fil-A sauce on the side. It's superior to anything McDonald's, Wendy's, Popeye's, Burger King, etc. are putting out (though they've all invested in their chicken sandwiches recently - largely in response to Chick-Fil-A). Not that it matters (to me) all that much, but the Chick-Fil-A customer service experience is always very pleasant too - light years apart from other fast food chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston