Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 09:43 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times

Advertisements

What a void for downtown.

Just saw in today's Boston Globe how the fancy new Arclight complex at Hub on Causeway will not reopen, as they "don't have a way to move forward." (Don't know how to link stories.) And I read last month that the Seaport's fancy new movie complex won't reopen.

Yes, I realize the struggles, but couldn't they qualify for enough assistance to tide them over until we all feel more comfortable returning....or many of us never will go back to a movie again?

Yesterday, a Pacific theatres reported over 300 of their cinemas will not reopen in California, including a historic Cinema.

I'm not a movie goer, and don't watch them often, period, but what a shame for Boston and mankind.

Are most younger folks eager to return or have returned? There was some publicity a couple months ago about opening night at some chains, but has it sustained to some reasonable extent?

Coolidge Corner Cinema, and hopefully the Arlington and West Newton cinemas have not closed? Still planning to reopen? Weymouth, Beverly and Belmont also have/had small screen theatres; do they plan to somehow reopen?

Can the newer South Bay Mall theatres survive?

Chestnut Hill is open?

I think Regal Cinemas in the Fenway has opened with restrictions? And I thought I had read months ago that the AMC chain may shut everything down, but didn't they at least reopen on Tremont street on Boston Common a couple months ago?

So sad. We'll have even less to return to once society gets back to more of a normal. Gee, I figured most of the closings were behind us by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 10:11 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
So sad. We'll have even less to return to once society gets back to more of a normal. Gee, I figured most of the closings were behind us by now.
Cinemas have been struggling for years. The pandemic may have pushed some over but streaming services is what actually brought to the brink.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:18 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
^It's never good to see businesses closing, but central Boston really has a glut of theaters and it's hard not to think that this was more expediting the inevitable than something that could have been avoided.

While it looks like the Arclight brand is done nationally, the Boston location in particular seemed like it was destined to fail. They pegged it as an upscale experience, but that really only extended to the price of the popcorn, the bar, and the bathrooms (which were nice). Most theaters have upgraded to big, comfy, fully-reclining seats, but Arclight weirdly went with the type you would get in a Regal Cinemas in 1999 - slightly mobile/tall backrest and narrow armrest (that you can flip up). Just a mediocre experience in the theater itself.

I saw one movie there (Ford Vs. Ferrari on New Year's Day 2020) and decided against going back even though I could walk there easily from the office. It just doesn't make sense. From that North Station area, you can get to the AMC at Assembly in 10-15 minutes on the Orange Line or about 6-7 minutes by car. You can walk to AMC Boston Common, and Regal Fenway and AMC South Bay are a pretty easy ride on the T or short drive away. Compared to 10 years ago when most of those theaters didn't exist, there are options. I'd wager the spaces may eventually go to other brands when things rebound more, but I think we had hit critical mass already even before the pandemic.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:31 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I agree that movie theater patronage was dwindling before the pandemic. People would rather watch movies from home, it's more comfortable. The last time I did take my kids to the movies was December 2019 or January 2020. I was surprised by the ticket cost then of course the drinks/food. If I were to go to the movies again it wouldn't be in Boston. Not sure Boston needs that many movie theaters?

I would imagine the age range of people going to movie theaters to be teenagers. They can't go to bars yet and want to get out of the house. When I was in high school I went to the movies pretty much every weekend. People used to get excited about new movies but I don't hear much chatter about movies anymore.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:34 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
People used to get excited about new movies but I don't hear much chatter about movies anymore.
That's probably just your social circle. There's a lot of chatter about movies and series.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:51 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
That's probably just your social circle. There's a lot of chatter about movies and series.
Agreed, but emphasis on the series. I think people are still really enjoying movies at the theaters (which have had success by upgrading the experience and simultaneously shrinking capacity), but the series is becoming the preferred norm for big/small screen entertainment. 20+ years ago, it was generally assumed that movies were higher quality/better than TV shows. They had bigger budgets, bigger names, and were more easily accessible (you could choose when you went to see a movie, but before on-demand and TIVO, shows were only on at certain times).

But now, TV series are available on demand for binge sessions. They have big budgets, better production quality (and people have better setups at home for viewing them), A-list actors, and can really dive into the details due to not being capped for time. Even the greatest cinematic success of the last 15 years, MCU, is basically a movie version of a series. There's still a place for movie theaters (I love going and based on the pre-pandemic crowds, so do many others), but not at the volume we had in central Boston to start 2020.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:14 AM

Sigh. Ok sure. It's just me. Just like WFH isn't here to stay.

And yes I'm well aware there's chatter about series but those aren't in the movie theaters which is what we're talking about on this thread. I hear plenty of chatter about Netflix series.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:35 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,026 times
Movie theaters were doing well back in the days when an average TV screen was about 20 inches wide and average stereo system sounded worse than iphone speaker. Fast forward to today, when a 70" 4K TV and a speaker system that can easily demolish your house costs next to nothing, and it's easy to see why they're struggling.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:06 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Streaming and movies have become a little too expensive. Not prohibitive but it's just expensive enough for you to second guess the value of experience.

More comfortable at home and TV quality is very high as others have said. I do not hear chatter about movies.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:17 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Streaming and movies have become a little too expensive. Not prohibitive but it's just expensive enough for you to second guess the value of experience.

More comfortable at home and TV quality is very high as others have said. I do not hear chatter about movies.
Exactly...like what movies are hot right now? Id have to google it. I guess Raya is a popular one, I know that because of my kids...we have disney plus but even if you want to get Raya you have to pay another $13 for it. In June it will be free on Disney + so we're just waiting until June ...

I could talk a lot about Netflix series...and I'm sure i'm not alone there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston