Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 10:41 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Sadly you are right. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get the gun back.

How would then get up there with them? Left lane on I-93 while riding a wheelie?
Well most people I see put RVs or bikes in the back of a truck and head up there. I'm guessing the next argument will be that these people are poor and don't have trucks to put bikes in to go anywhere else. So i guess that means it's ok for them to just terrorize the city. (I also dont believe they dont have money for a truck, they'd just rather stay in Mattapan or Hyde Park than do the right thing).

I have no issue with someone responsibility riding a motorbike as a means of transportation but that's not what this is. This is an issue every summer...apparently it pisses people off. People get annoyed with loud music as well but this is more dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 10:58 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
That sounds awful. Why don't these folks head up to NH and go off-roading? Anywhere where there is more open space. Obviously these loons feel powerful on these bikes and want to intimidate others. Then when people complain about them it's like oh then you must be racist
Reminds me of this extremely random story that was in national news lately from southern NH:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ire-tannerite/

Thing is that quarry from the story was at one time a hotspot for local youths from the surrounding areas. Kids would go up there with dirtbikes and ATVs all the time and even built themselves a course in some the abandoned parts of the mine. The terrain was really perfect for it and it was remote enough that even if it wasn't allowed it was mostly overlooked at the time. People would also go to other sections and shoot off all caliber of guns.

We didn't do either of those things in that particular spot but we did go back there a lot just to hang out in the partially regrown quarryscapes. It was a cool mix of young forest, steep hills, small bodies of water, and decaying industrial equipment. The mix of artificial and natural created landscapes weren't like anything you could normally find New England. They gave visual impressions of chaparral and even desert environments in parts mixed into the dense, humid young growth forests. We would go camping out there sometimes, go for hikes and toke up and even build a brick oven from the quarry stones to cook out. The place was big enough that in all those times we NEVER came face to face with folks working on the site, although we sometimes would catch a glimpse or see them drive by on a service road.

Eventually it also got cracked down on I believe as more development started encroaching. At the time there was no houses near enough to complain about the kind of things the locals are complaning about in this article. There couldn't have been more than five houses within a mile of the site.

All that to say it was a fun place for local youths to hang out in "nature". There was other places like that. There was some other spots that were so well established with their woods party and ATV scene that some of our parents had been partying the same spots back in the 80s. Those ones were more cracked down on from cops, since it was so well known and also probably because they were in MA instead of live free or die NH. Didn't stop people from going out there every summer.

That would be a crummy part of living in the city as a kid and not having anyplace to properly escape with your mates. Even if it's frowned upon in more remote places, it's still just harmless fun. In the city I'd imagine there's a lot more issues. Someone is always going to see or hear you and complain. The cops will always arrive or worse fights will break out because there's not enough space for all the different sets of kids to have their own party spots.

Even programs designed to get city kids out into nature I feel like might not be as effective. It's never on the kids own terms and always under responsible guidance. That trains a certain type of kid to hate nature and think it's boring. A lot of the kids who partied with us in the woods genuinely loved nature and the outdoors and went on to live those kind of lifestyles after they had grown out of the teen party phase. Knowing their personality types, they would not have fostered that kind of appreciation if their early exposures had been semi-forced with chapperones watching their every move.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:11 AM

Why doesn't this happen in white suburbia?

Old 05-11-2021, 11:14 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Its masssachusetts. He had to forfeit is gun and his license for the duraiton of this investigation. Imagine if he had shot him, or worse missed and shot the woman.
No way it would have been an easy process for him. I'm with Massnative on the "warning shot" being a risky move too, but I wasn't there. Glad it worked out OK.

Quote:
People who are woker than I in my social circle are LIVID about the crackdown on dirtbikes and shenanigans in Franklin Park. They blame gentrifiers and racism. Ive tried explaining that this is all illegal activity and you'll never find a pro-dirtbike mayor. but they do NOT want to hear any of it. Yesterday dirt bikers were throwing bricks at police cruisers Franklin Park. People are very upset and i think its gonna foster confrontational or lawless environment in and around the park.
This was in the Globe yesterday on how the people who ride feel victimized. I'm definitely a believer in racism, gentrification, etc. contributing to many of the city's larger issues; but I just can't get behind the notion that racism is the issue driving the crackdown on the dirt bikes/ATVs in the city. It's dangerous and disruptive. Bostonians' reputation for being staid and curmudgeons is often well-deserved. But these dirt bikes and ATVs aren't just loud, they're a danger to themselves as well as pedestrians, cars, animals, etc. And while I know it's not everyone being violent or harassing drivers, it does happen at rates that aren't acceptable. Plus, as you said, it's flat out illegal. Period.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Well most people I see put RVs or bikes in the back of a truck and head up there. I'm guessing the next argument will be that these people are poor and don't have trucks to put bikes in to go anywhere else. .
It's not an argument, it's facts. The crowd riding around Boston is very different from the crowd that's loading up RVs, trucks, and trailers, and heading to ME or NH for a weekend. Money is a big part of it (that lifestyle isn't cheap), but some of it's the type of riding they want to do. Most of the crowd heading up north isn't looking to do wheelies in traffic, even if they could. The city crowd isn't looking to do a mud track or do trail rides through the woods. Regardless, there's no justification for allowing it on the city streets or parks.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:22 AM

Just seems like the overall attitude of many on this is, oh they're young inner city black kids and we can't stop this or say anything about it for fear of looking racist.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:24 AM

The city kids are also doing it as an act of rebellion. They know it pisses people and it's also another way to say f@ck the police.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Just seems like the overall attitude of many on this is, oh they're young inner city black kids and we can't stop this or say anything about it for fear of looking racist.
I haven't seen a single person here defend it. That Op Ed was the first published defense of it that I've seen and omitted any/all of the negative aspects of it. In 2021 when everything is divisive, there seems to be a relative consensus on the ATVs/dirt bikes and that consensus is that they're a problem.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:30 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Dummy with a gun, there are millions of him around.
This needs to go out nationwide.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:39 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
The city kids are also doing it as an act of rebellion. They know it pisses people and it's also another way to say f@ck the police.
Yeah there's not enough space in the city for kids to be kids. Kids I grew up with outside the city would come into the city to skate as soon as they were old enough to get down there. They would drink and smoke in the street because they knew Boston cops wouldn't arrest them for it.

Some of the scummier kids would get drunk and smash car mirrors or climb up the construction scaffolding at night and urinate into the worksite for a laugh. Kids are prone to ignorant and attention seeking behavior when they get the chance. Every teenage dirtbag already had a **** the police attitude in the predominantly white 2008 exurban metro Boston. Can't even imagine what kind of sentiments have been engrained in 2021 Franklin Field kids

If you live in a rural area ATV and Dirtbikes are an everyday part of life. They are still dangerous in all settings. When I was about 10 my cousin snapped his neck off a jump in our grandmother's backyard. Kept me off of 4 wheelers for life. The thing is if you live someplace where you can just ride off in your backyard, the risks are contained to the rider. You aren't disrupting or endangering a bunch of other random locals. That's just a fact of density and land use patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston