Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 10:13 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Boston has really become a city of people who are wealthy and then people who are poor and barely getting by. There's no more in between.
Which are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 10:15 AM

16,291 posts, read 8,113,806 times
None of your business. I also don't live in Boston. Anyone looking to live in a nice part of Boston is typically going to be wealthy. There might be some middle of road people left in Hyde park, roslindale and west Roxbury. I'm not sure how some of the folks in Mattapan are affording it at this point.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:27 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,113,433 times
Quote:
Boston has really become a city of people who are wealthy and then people who are poor and barely getting by. There's no more in between.

The housing market everywhere seems out of control, not just in Greater Boston.
This is exactly true. And that fact that this never comes up on the media is just disingenuous. They are too busy pitting people together by race. The fact is I have way more in common with George Floyd than I do with John Kerry.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:32 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,145 times
Quote:
I also don't live in Boston.
Then you don't really have a clue about who lives in the city. Save your comments for neighbors in your Stepford suburb. While it has gotten more expensive, I have many neighbors who are neither neither wealthy or poor (teachers, firemen, etc). They are quite happy and "getting by".

Old 05-26-2021, 10:35 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
This is exactly true. And that fact that this never comes up on the media is just disingenuous. They are too busy pitting people together by race. The fact is I have way more in common with George Floyd than I do with John Kerry.
Income inequality is a major topic in political and media discourse. The problem is nobody can politically agree on whether it's even a problem, let alone how to address it.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:38 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Then you don't really have a clue about who lives in the city. Save your comments for neighbors in your Stepford suburb. While it has gotten more expensive, I have many neighbors who are neither neither wealthy or poor (teachers, firemen, etc). They are quite happy and "getting by".
Dude I know plenty about the city of Boston and it's demographics. The firemen make about 200k a year and often have side jobs in addition. While that might not be much compared to the 600k+ the biotech exec is getting, it's much more than a teacher or social worker, or admin asst is making. The teachers that are living in nice parts of boston are likely married to someone making significantly more than them. Firefighters are often married to other fighter fighters, cops, nurses, or good ol white collar professionals.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:40 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,366 times
Quote:
The average teacher is Cambridge makes over 90k, in Boston over 100k. They are wealthy, it's just so expensive that they aren't.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:46 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
The average teacher is Cambridge makes over 90k, in Boston over 100k. They are wealthy, it's just so expensive that they aren't.
That's also a good point. BPS teachers ARE paid well but on their own it still isn't enough for the out of control real estate around here. We are flooded with highly paid engineers, C-level people, hedge fund managers, Physicians, family money and this is why the prices keep going up. The normal people making 90k-200k likely already owned a home in the city from years ago.

I am shocked by some of the prices I'm seeing on the cape lately. You used to be able to buy a cottage or something to supplement your full time house in the boston area...now it's just the same as buying a 'normal' home.

I think we still see people in their 20's/30's who dont have highly paid jobs living in the city paying but they have multiple roomates.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:55 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'm all about gritty, but on Central Square I can't disagree with Bostonguy's synopsis. Unless it changed dramatically in recent years, it's always been a weird creepy place. Can't find any appealing qualities there whatsoever.
Central Square's far from perfect, but it's a nice foil to Harvard Square which is rapidly losing much of its character with the influx of chain dining/retail (and it still had a very visible cluster of homelessness around the T head house). It's also a good counter to the sterility of Kendall. It's gritty, there are a lot of homeless people, but it also has some solid shopping, good restaurants/bars, and a pretty good creative and artsy vibe that's not overly watered-down or hipstery. It was better when it had more live music venues, but when I was living in Somerville, I spent more time there than I did in Harvard, Porter, Kendall, etc.

The homeless problem there is a big issue. But I view the general "weirdness" as one of Central Square's greatest assets. I'd like to see the homelessness issue addressed (this applies to the whole region, not just Central), but I wouldn't want Central to "improve" by turning into another Harvard or Davis.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:05 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,113,433 times
Quote:
Another perpetual crime headline protagonist on this site. Makes you wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston