U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 10:16 AM

18,864 posts, read 14,003,451 times

Advertisements

This happened at the corner of Harvard and Cherry St.

https://universalhub.com/2021/two-men-shot-cambridge

"Cambridge Police report two men were shot at Harvard and Cherry streets around 12:10 a.m.
Both victims are Cambridge residents and suffered injuries not believed to be life threatening, police say.
Multiple vehicles and a building on Cherry Street were also hit by gunfire, police say, adding officers recovered at least six shell casings at the scene."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 10:23 AM

^Another man had been shot on May 10th, just a block or two east of there (going towards MIT).

Man shot in hail of gunfire in Cambridge early this morning

https://universalhub.com/2021/person...-early-morning

"Cambridge Police report a Watertown resident was shot around on Harvard Street between Windsor and Portland streets around 2:15 a.m.
The man, 30, was taken to a local hospital with injuries considered serious but not life threatening, police say. Officers recovered more than 20 shell casings at the scene."

Old 05-22-2021, 05:55 PM

2,645 posts, read 4,569,892 times
Cherry Street and Harvard Street is near projects, right? A gritty area, kind of crappy even where there aren't projects, in my opinion.

And Portland at Windsor in the other incident is also kind of gritty and unappetizing, to me.

But in both cases, expensive residential areas are close by. Even Moderna and MIT are quite close.

I just don't get the appeal of some of Cambridge. Cambridge = Really dumpy pockets of blah. Anybody else agree?

Old 05-22-2021, 07:05 PM

9,441 posts, read 4,806,281 times
In addition to the shots fired in Govt Center, Boston area has seen quite an uptick in shootings across public/touristy areas.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Cherry Street and Harvard Street is near projects, right? A gritty area, kind of crappy even where there aren't projects, in my opinion.

And Portland at Windsor in the other incident is also kind of gritty and unappetizing, to me.

But in both cases, expensive residential areas are close by. Even Moderna and MIT are quite close.

I just don't get the appeal of some of Cambridge. Cambridge = Really dumpy pockets of blah. Anybody else agree?

It's a block from the Washington Elms projects. People place a high value on Cambridge with its proximity to Harvard, MIT/Kendall, and those who want to be part of that "scene"; but I generally don't disagree with you.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:20 PM

3,127 posts, read 1,220,061 times
Quote:

Mostly East Cambridge I think, and mostly because of the projects, other subsidized housing and the fact that the housing stock isn't the greatest. Some of it reminds me of old housing in East Boston with the tiny rooms and staircases.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:01 AM

10,974 posts, read 19,447,231 times
Quote:
I really like Cambridge. I'd love to live on any number of streets near Inman, Harvard, Porter, North Cambridge (particularly near Davis), or even parts of Cambridgeport. There are tons of fairly quiet streets with old growth trees, nice older homes and buildings, and easy walking distance to transit, shopping, dining, etc. Plus relatively easy access to downtown and Back Bay. That's pretty appealing to anyone looking for an urban home, and the attractive areas far outnumber the "dumpy" ones. lots of East Cambridge is "meh," and the new construction around Alewife is pretty terrible.

The bigger problem with Cambridge is that it's really untouchable unless you have a multi-million dollar budget. We couldn't find anything close to approaching what we wanted in Cambridge - the location, size, or condition of the places we browsed ruled anything out pretty quickly. But if money was no object, I'd own a historic single family between Harvard and Beacon St. in a heartbeat.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:52 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,036,813 times
Unless you are within a block of the Washington Elms or Roosevelt Towers housing projects, Cambridge is pretty safe. Even in those areas' these aren't exactly random acts of violence we are talking about. Most areas of the city are very desirable and livable.

There were some concerns about the rise in petty crime during the pandemic, however these were more property crimes rather than crimes against people. Also, the city allowed certain public spaces to become overrun with homeless and drug activity. Sort of like a lite version of what you see in some west coast cities. The verdict is still out, but the city seems to be slowly cleaning some of this up and property values have continued to surge.

Cambridge is very different now than it was even 10 years ago, and continues to change. CPS is at a critical juncture post pandemic. The combination of allowing the CTA to push schools remote for a year, combined with the insidous creep of critical race theory into the curriculum has caused the families of students who raise the bar in the district to dis-enroll them. Some have gone private and some have moved out of the city. These are lifelong or long time Cambridge residents, not transient professionals or university people. For now there are plenty of younger people with money who want to be part of Cambridge, however if the schools continue to falter you won't have the good mix of families the city has relied on in the past.

Old 05-24-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
CPS is at a critical juncture post pandemic. The combination of allowing the CTA to push schools remote for a year, combined with the insidous creep of critical race theory into the curriculum has caused the families of students who raise the bar in the district to dis-enroll them. Some have gone private and some have moved out of the city. These are lifelong or long time Cambridge residents, not transient professionals or university people. For now there are plenty of younger people with money who want to be part of Cambridge, however if the schools continue to falter you won't have the good mix of families the city has relied on in the past.

Yeah I know of at least one family that has bailed from CPS this past year.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:05 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,479,918 times
There have been a number of shootings recently in Somerville as well, with speculation that there is a bit of a gang war going on between rival Somerville/Cambridge groups. This most recent series of shootings (over 2 dozen shots fired overall) was picked up by the news, but I know of more than a few from last year in the area that were not well reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston