Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 06:34 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefl0wer View Post
The apartment I’m looking at is on the corner of Mass Ave and Tremont Street. I don’t know much about Boston yet — is that area OK to live in or should I avoid Mass Ave altogether?
That area is OK to live in. I'd advise keeping your walking in the general north direction. If you head south / southwest from that location, it can get dicey quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 06:42 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Irresponsible advice. Correct wordage would be "you'll probably be OK".
I will bet down payment on a house amounts of money that I've spent more time in that area in the last 5 years than you. The reports of its dangerousness are overplayed from people who left the city 20 years ago when it was a more dangerous place. The SW corridor used to be a nice place to get stabbed too, and now it's lined with million-dollar condos.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:49 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I will bet down payment on a house amounts of money that I've spent more time in that area in the last 5 years than you. The reports of its dangerousness are overplayed from people who left the city 20 years ago when it was a more dangerous place. The SW corridor used to be a nice place to get stabbed too, and now it's lined with million-dollar condos.
SW Corridor can still be dangerous, bro. Let's not kid ourselves, here. Or worse, give newcomers a false sense of their safety.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:53 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,668,728 times
The question is is one of need. If someone really needs to live there, that's one thing. If they have resources to live further in, that's different. I wouldn't recommend to young woman not familiar with the city, walking solo late at night to live in that area, unless it is a matter of need not desire. It also depends on how much street sense a person brings. It's actually worse now than it was 3 years ago (as it is in many parts of the area) in my opinion, and I have spent much time there over periods of the last 20 years and over the last 3 years. But the whole "nothing to see here" is disingenuous BS. You can also speak with the Northeastern U Police who have a heavy patrol presence in that area.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:21 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
SW Corridor can still be dangerous, bro. Let's not kid ourselves, here. Or worse, give newcomers a false sense of their safety.
Maybe southwest of Ruggles, but the part that goes between Mass Ave and Back Bay is pretty bougie. Granted, crime can happen even on Newbury Street.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Maybe southwest of Ruggles, but the part that goes between Mass Ave and Back Bay is pretty bougie. Granted, crime can happen even on Newbury Street.
Well when you say "Southwest Corridor", 75% of it is south of Ruggles.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:33 AM

Yeah, SW Corridor is definitely not a place any vulnerable person would want to be regularly walking alone after midnight.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:56 AM

If you're out walking in the city late at night you can benefit from the following. You didn't ask for it, and you may not need it, but I'm posting it anyway. It is definitely applicable if you choose to live in the referenced area. Not trying to be condescending just helpful.

Maintain a look of confidence while holding your head up.
Don't wear heels or dress shoes; keep a pair of sneakers or similar shoes available to walk in.
Remain alert and observant including free from intoxication. (take a cab or rideshare if drinking)
Scan the area well-ahead of you, and around you, for potential threats - cross to the other side of the street if unsure about anyone lurking on the sidewalk or on stoops.
Walk along busy well-lit streets.
Change-up your walking routes frequently to avoid predictability.
Don't use headphones.
Have your phone available and ready, but don't be distracted by it.
Have your keys ready before you get to your building.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
If you're out walking in the city late at night you can benefit from the following. You didn't ask for it, and you may not need it, but I'm posting it anyway. It is definitely applicable if you choose to live in the referenced area. Not trying to be condescending just helpful.

Maintain a look of confidence while holding your head up.
Don't wear heels or dress shoes; keep a pair of sneakers or similar shoes available to walk in.
Remain alert and observant including free from intoxication. (take a cab or rideshare if drinking)
Scan the area well-ahead of you, and around you, for potential threats - cross to the other side of the street if unsure about anyone lurking on the sidewalk or on stoops.
Walk along busy well-lit streets.
Change-up your walking routes frequently to avoid predictability.
Don't use headphones.
Have your phone available and ready, but don't be distracted by it.
Have your keys ready before you get to your building.
Thank you for posting this, as not everybody is aware of this stuff.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:17 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

Ah, that part of town used to be so bad back in the 1970's, before the SW Corridor was constructed. A older friend of mine told me the story of how she once walked past a group of youths sitting on the ledge of the overpass going over the train tracks. My friend, who was Black, was unmolested but the teens promptly swooped down upon a White woman following steps behind her and scuffled to steal her handbag. My friend ran to the nearest door and banged hard screaming "HELP! Someone is being robbed!" The door opens and an angry woman answers with "Why do you have to bother me of all people with it?!"

I digress however. We can all agree that we're not in 1974 anymore and that area has quite changed. Still, it is a linear park in the middle of a big city that can get quiet at night, some parts of which aren't as well lit as others so it is best to exercise caution especially at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston