Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 22,741 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be graduating from college in June and relocating to Boston from Orange County, CA. I'll be working near South Station and considering I'll be on a tight budget (I've got PLENTY of student loans to pay off) I've been doing some online research for cheaper places to live in Boston. I've been considering the Savin Hill area in Dorchester because it seems the rents are a lot cheaper and you get a lot more 'bang for your buck' compared to areas like Allston. My question is how safe the area is for a 20 year old female who will be living by herself. Any other info on the area or other recommendations would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 PM

110 posts, read 320,520 times
I am in a similar situation but coming from Los Angeles with a family. I have not yet accepted the job offer. Do you want to discuss offline?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
I don't thinks parts of Savin Hill are that cheap, but it depends on where you're looking. the gentrified portion of Savin Hill is more expensive than the other section.

Savin Hill used to have a pretty rough history (as evidenced by it's former nickname "stab 'n' kill"). most of that area has shed this image, but there may be pockets that are a bit rougher. I don't know the area well enough to tell you which parts to avoid, sorry

Old 05-13-2008, 01:48 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,889 times
In my opinion, you should look for something near Davis Square (Somerville or Medford), within walking distance of the Red Line, which will take you straight to South Station. If you get a roommate, you'd probably be able to afford a nice apartment in Central Square, also on the Red Line. I'd stay away from Savin Hill.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,492 times
The "over the bridge" section of Savin Hill, east of the Southeast Expressway, is very nice. Statistically, it's one of the safest parts of the city. However, that's mostly houses-most of the apartments are on the western side of the bridge. It's still a fairly safe area compared to most parts of Dorchester, but you might not find as many people your age as you would in an area like Allston or Davis Square.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissy View Post
I'm going to be graduating from college in June and relocating to Boston from Orange County, CA. I'll be working near South Station and considering I'll be on a tight budget (I've got PLENTY of student loans to pay off) I've been doing some online research for cheaper places to live in Boston. I've been considering the Savin Hill area in Dorchester because it seems the rents are a lot cheaper and you get a lot more 'bang for your buck' compared to areas like Allston. My question is how safe the area is for a 20 year old female who will be living by herself. Any other info on the area or other recommendations would be great
Savin Hill is fine, I have a friend who lives on Sagamore St. and he loves it. He's gay BTW. That only matters in that gay men tend to take pride in where they live. Just remember that you live in the city and you'll be fine. In general Boston is pretty safe.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:01 PM

26 posts, read 221,262 times
I personally like Savin Hill, mainly for the good restaurants there and the "old Boston" feel to the area. But it is nothing like Allston or Davis Square (two areas popular with college-age people). It is still a bit rough in some areas, and it does not have the dynamic feel of a place like Davis Square.

It's not a bad choice, in my opinion, but you might feel a bit more isolated there than you would in one of the two places I mentioned above.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:03 PM

5 posts, read 30,506 times
Savin Hill, OTB (over the bridge) is a very safe and comfortable area. It does not have the partying young reptutation that places like Allston and Brighton have, but they are easily accesible from here, and easily avoidable as well. There are many people in Savin Hill who have students as boarders stay with them for periods of time and that allows one the option of quiet study in a safe neighborhood or a quick ride to the party on the red line. I know many people who have opened their homes to students as boarders with great results, myself included. It is the best of both worlds.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:20 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Just be careful wandering too far west if you choose the Savin Hill Area. The days of "Stab n' Kill" are over and the eastern side of the neighborhood has quieted down but further west are the still troubled neighborhoods of Uphams Corner and Meeting House Hill. Stay close to or east of Dorchester Avenue if you can. I actually do see a good number of gentrified young urban professionals in the neighborhood as well as some college students so you won't feel left out.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,058 times
Stab 'N' Kill as we call it is cheap but has much crime. I would consider south boston or east boston or north Dorchester. AVOID: South dorchester/Mattapan And NEVER go in Roxbury!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston