Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 04:03 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times

Advertisements

I decided to take a foodie adventure today and took the 111 bus from Haymarket to Chelsea to eat at Ciao! Pizza - and wow definitely one of the best pizzas I've had in a long run. Never would have considered going out to Chelsea to eat so I'm glad I did

That being said - what are your favorite restaurants in the Boston/Cambridge area that are often overlooked by visitors/tourists? I'd love to hear some local favorites. I used to live in the area and visit my parents every summer so I try and hit up a few new spots each year. Next on my list is Tenoch Mexican in Medford and Dave's Fresh Pasta in Davis Square
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 07:23 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
If you're going out to Chelsea . . . Katz's Bagels has some of the best bagels in the state IMO.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:16 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I decided to take a foodie adventure today and took the 111 bus from Haymarket to Chelsea to eat at Ciao! Pizza - and wow definitely one of the best pizzas I've had in a long run. Never would have considered going out to Chelsea to eat so I'm glad I did

That being said - what are your favorite restaurants in the Boston/Cambridge area that are often overlooked by visitors/tourists? I'd love to hear some local favorites. I used to live in the area and visit my parents every summer so I try and hit up a few new spots each year. Next on my list is Tenoch Mexican in Medford and Dave's Fresh Pasta in Davis Square
Seems Tenoch has a Somerville and North End location also according to my search?

I walked by the North End one a few weeks ago -- but it looked as if it had closed .... permanently? Well, maybe not, though, as we now realize some restaurants who've survived sometimes now close one or two nights per week, so maybe that location is in fact in business.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:39 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If you're going out to Chelsea . . . Katz's Bagels has some of the best bagels in the state IMO.
Second this. It's a departure from the trendier bagel spots around town (i.e. Bagelsaurus, Davis Square Bagels/Doughnuts, Levend, etc. - all of which are good) and it's one of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Seems Tenoch has a Somerville and North End location also according to my search?

I walked by the North End one a few weeks ago -- but it looked as if it had closed .... permanently? Well, maybe not, though, as we now realize some restaurants who've survived sometimes now close one or two nights per week, so maybe that location is in fact in business.
The Somerville location is right in Davis Square. You can grab a torta (Torta Compechana - that's what I'd recommend from the menu) for lunch, then walk over to Dave's Fresh to grab homemade pasta and sauce for dinner. The Medford location is fine too, but I haven't had it in a while and the menu is different than Somerville's (if I remember correctly).

Also in that area:
  • Opa makes an excellent gyro - one of my favorite in the city/surrounding area.
  • Dragon Pizza does a good New York Style Pizza (the Pepperoni is my favorite)
  • Leone's is still king. Get a half tray of the Sicilian style.
  • Dave's Fresh Pasta is good, but the Sandwiches there are also excellent.
  • My favorite takeout spot over there is Dakzen - the Ba Mee Moo Dang is one of my favorite dishes and it's less than $10.
  • For Dumplings (and ONLY dumplings - the rest of their food is "meh"), you can't be Wang's Fast Food
  • Tasty Momo is very good too for their namesake.
  • Tsurumen is the best ramen in the region (in my opinion)

Outside of that are:
  • El Penol for empenadas - East Boston
  • KO Pies (until the owners closes and moves back to Australia in August) in East Boston
  • Moyzilla's Japanese Fried Chicken - food truck, various locations
  • Royal Roast Beef for the North Shore Roast Beef - East Boston
  • Best "non-traditional" hot dog - The Quiet Few, Eastie
  • Mei Mei in the Fenway for Chinese-American fare
  • Twelve Hours for Asian Fusion - Brighton
  • Nu Flav for Haitian - Mattapan
  • Loyal Nine - American (New England) - Cambridge
  • Celeste (not really underrated at this point) for good Peruvian - Somerville
  • Milano's Deli - biiiiig sandwiches - East Boston

Old 07-19-2021, 12:43 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Ciao! is really good, ive been.

other recs:

TopMix Bar and Kitchen Roxbury (Dominican-American)

ZaZ Hyde Park (West Indian Fusion)

Ba Le Dorchester (Banh Mi)

Vaughns Fish and Chips Dorchester (Soul Food take-out)

Oasis Vegan Veggie Parlor Dorchester

El Jefes Taqueria Cambridge

La Paloma Quincy (Mexican)

SideBar (burgers only) Downtown Crossing

Obossa Roslindale (Nigerian)

Merengue Roxbury (Dominican)

Bon Apetitit Mattapan (Haitian)

Suya Joint Roxbury (West African)

Blue Nile Jamaica Plain (Ethiopian)

Irie Jamaican Style Restaurant (Dorchester )

Victoria's Diner Dorchester (American/New England)

Heard good things about the Pearl at South bay (Seafood/Oysters)

Old 07-19-2021, 12:51 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
La Paloma Quincy (Mexican)
Last visit was pretty disappointing, maybe it was just a bad day.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:51 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Tsurumen is the best ramen in the region (in my opinion)
Your opinion is FACT (in my opinion)

Old 07-19-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
  • Royal Roast Beef for the North Shore Roast Beef - East Boston
Great spot! And used to be far more reasonable $ than Kelly's, for example.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:08 PM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
I always loved La Paloma.

Cancun in Kingston is another great Mexican place

Old 07-19-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I always loved La Paloma.

Cancun in Kingston is another great Mexican place
EL Sarape in Weymouth Landing was my favorite on the S Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston