Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2021, 04:31 PM

959 posts, read 533,795 times

Advertisements

Well, they both will be debating how they are going to improve situation with rent/ownership prices & schools.

They know what happened in SF & Minneapolis. We know too. I will watch.

I don’t live in Boston, but both of our parents do. Those questions aren’t affecting them unless Boston will become chaotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 04:32 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
Today will be Mayoral Debates. I think on WBZ 04
Looks like it's starting soon! (7pm EST)

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates...-how-to-watch/

I'm gonna try and watch it on here

Old 10-13-2021, 05:08 PM

Climate justice, Black & Brown …. (Wu).

Not a fan of such terminology.

Annissa sounds more interesting. And she was a teacher!

I really hope they will move homeless into what was proposed. Living on the streets is not Freedom.
Substance abusers are better suited living in group homes … not individual places.
We need something like this https://www.trosainc.org/

Old 10-13-2021, 05:21 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,035 times
They'll do great if they're planning to cash out and leave, awful if they want to stay. With great power comes great responsibility and with seven figure valuations come five figure property taxes.

Quote:
Well, they both will be debating how they are going to improve situation with rent/ownership prices & schools.

They know what happened in SF & Minneapolis. We know too. I will watch.

I don’t live in Boston, but both of our parents do. Those questions aren’t affecting them unless Boston will become chaotic.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:29 PM

They really don't sound that different to be honest.

If I was reading their lines instead of hearing their voices idk if I could tell who was who.

Only thing Im hearing different is rent control

(first part of the debate, now they are getting into police etc and theyre differentiating)

Old 10-13-2021, 06:05 PM

337 posts, read 268,219 times
What did everyone think about their performances tonight?

Old 10-13-2021, 07:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Basically, a tale of two different people.

One unpretentious, the other lofty
One very specific, the other very general
One a ground soldier, the other a powerpoint ranger
One a wartime consigliere, the other, decidedly not
One plain talkin', the other lots of good Newspeak

Old 10-13-2021, 07:55 PM

Well, debates were better than Trump-Biden’s

On a serious note, both of them looked and sounded good.
I liked Annissa better, because she didn’t use “climate justice” and other progressive lexicon (I’m not conservative, but don’t like ideological terms)

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/10/...ssaibi-george/

About police
“ Both candidates called for more transparency from the police department.

Wu said, “I will ensure that the choice of the new police commissioner is one that will deliver urgently on reforms that are needed to the structures, the culture of our department, and get going right away on that underlying barrier that holds much of this back, negotiating a new police union contract.”

Essaibi George said she believes in investing in public safety, not “defunding”.

“I think it’s one of the most important responsibilities that I have as mayor of this city,” Essaibi George said. “We need to ensure that our city is a safe city and a just city. That work is incredibly important.””

Last edited by BruinsGirl; 10-13-2021 at 08:04 PM..

Old 10-13-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Well, debates were better than Trump-Biden’s

On a serious note, both of them looked and sounded good.
I liked Annissa better, because she didn’t use “climate justice” and other progressive lexicon (I’m not conservative, but don’t like ideological terms)

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/10/...ssaibi-george/

About police
“ Both candidates called for more transparency from the police department.

Wu said, “I will ensure that the choice of the new police commissioner is one that will deliver urgently on reforms that are needed to the structures, the culture of our department, and get going right away on that underlying barrier that holds much of this back, negotiating a new police union contract.”

Essaibi George said she believes in investing in public safety, not “defunding”.

“I think it’s one of the most important responsibilities that I have as mayor of this city,” Essaibi George said. “We need to ensure that our city is a safe city and a just city. That work is incredibly important.””
Yeah I think George did sound pretty good here. I was surprised by how similar they did sound in certain parts. Wu has a lot of extremely detailed plans on paper but she didn't seem to bring those strengths to the table in this particular debate. She was more vague about things and seemed to rely more on emotional appeal, seemed on the verge of tears at some points randomly.

George came across as firm, fair, direct. She seemed much more assertive than Wu who seemed more sensitive (both of these affects may have been intentional) but also to be making a concerted effort to remain cordial and not let her inner Dot rat come out.

All around I think I would prefer to see George in the office just based on this debate, but don't think Wu will be too bad when she most likely wins it.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:21 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
I'm going to have to take George's side on this one. I see her as more genuine. Wu certainly did the market research and knows the buzzwords. Unfortunately I don't think a lot of the voters can see through this type of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston