Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 04:46 PM

153 posts, read 131,684 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to ask people who have 1 or 0 cars and bike/take public transit for pleasure, groceries, work, etc. What do you do during the bad bad winter days/weeks/months. My wife and I live in Phoenix Arizona but are thinking of moving somewhere walkable. She will most likely use the car while I will get work within a couple miles of home. We will sell our second vehicle and get an eBike as a second vehicle but I'm worried about the bad months. What's your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 04:51 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,135 times
1. Live in a mild climate.
2. Zip cars and Lyft/Uber
3. Rental car specials.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:08 PM

153 posts, read 131,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
1. Live in a mild climate.
2. Zip cars and Lyft/Uber
3. Rental car specials.
I'm asking about Boston silly goose. People who bike / public transit year round.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:41 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Zipcar

Old 09-25-2021, 08:19 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
While I have a car now, I spent years living in Waltham and Somerville with no car.

A few tips:
- live as close as you can afford to the subway. If that's not easy walking distance, make sure you live close to a bus stop that eliminates most transfers.
- dress for the weather. I kept wet wipes, dry shampoo, and makeup at work when I commuted in the summer, and extra socks and gloves for when I commuted in the winter. Heavy coats, long underwear, and heavy boots are essentials.
- plan your grocery trips, and ideally have a grocery store in between work and home. Big reusuable totes are easier to carry than paper or plastic bags, and packing into a backpack is even better.

One car is more than many people have in the immediate Boston metro area, and people do fine. With one car, I wouldn't even worry about things like grocery shopping or leisure.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:09 AM

38 posts, read 35,307 times
I have lived car-free in Boston for two years. It's actually not that hard, especially if you live within 15 minutes of the T or close to major bus lines.

A key to living car-free is to have as much delivered as possible. Between Amazon, Instacart, Shipt, GoPuff, and the numerous other delivery services, you can have almost anything delivered to your door within a couple of hours. I don't shop for anything in stores these days.

I also use ride share pretty liberally. It's not cheap, but you avoid paying for parking and avoid the stress of driving. I use Zipcar for weekend joyrides. And if I need to drive longer distances, I rent a car or take the train.

Owning a car in Boston is a huge PITA. My quality of life is higher than it would be if I had to deal with a car.

FYI. I'm a transplant from the South. Yes, the cold isn't fun, but you are rewarded with glorious summers and falls. The weather is miserable for about a 1/3 of the year, great for about 1/2 of the year, and a mixed bag the remainder of the year.

Full disclosure: for me the biggest issue isn't the temperature or the snow. It's the gray skies and short days in the winter. It wears on you.

That said, I LOVE Boston. I love the walkability, the history, the architecture, the parks and water, the strong job market, the intelligent people and progressive spirit. It's mega expensive, but there's a reason so many people are willing to spend the money to live here. You get what you pay for.

Have you given any thought to where you might live in Boston?

Old 09-26-2021, 07:50 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
I have some friends who just moved to St Louis and bought their first car ever. They are in their mid 30s.
They both had cars in HS and undergrad, she came here to go to grad school at Harvard and stayed for 10 years car-free.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:11 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
I'm hoping to ask people who have 1 or 0 cars and bike/take public transit for pleasure, groceries, work, etc. What do you do during the bad bad winter days/weeks/months. My wife and I live in Phoenix Arizona but are thinking of moving somewhere walkable. She will most likely use the car while I will get work within a couple miles of home. We will sell our second vehicle and get an eBike as a second vehicle but I'm worried about the bad months. What's your experience?
On bad days, depending on where I'm going/what I'm doing:

1. Take the T, or Lyft/Uber.
2. Delivery.
3. Get out the winter boots and walk.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:25 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Unless you live in a mansion currently, car insurance and maintenance/repairs in Boston will probably be more than your mortgage in Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post

Old 09-27-2021, 12:27 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I lived in Somerville for years without a car. I walked and/or bussed and/or biked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston