Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2022, 09:55 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Similarly, it's far too early to praise the Mayor or the city for this. There's a reason that this particular area became a hotbed for drug related activity (namely, the concentration of shelters, drug treatment clinics, and drug dealers), and none of those have been directly addressed. As long as those factors remain, there will be always be rampant drug use in the area. There will be a continuous need for tents to be removed, bodies recovered, needles cleaned up, and dealers arrested. It's step one, and there's a long way to go before you see serious long term improvement in that area.
Considering what msRB311 just posted, I think the mayor deserves a tiny amount of praise for quickly putting measures in place to keep people from freezing to death on the street. A low bar, maybe, but still a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 09:57 AM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
I can certainly see the argument where some have more to live for than others. These people on cass and mass know no other way of life. Even if they do get clean what kind of life will they have? Many of them have mental and brain issues that stem from using drugs.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:19 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It doesn't. Like any chronic disease, the person suffering from it is ultimately responsible for continuing their treatments. No one chooses to become and alcoholic, or an addict. I too have not known one of the people I know with substance abuse problems to consider themselves a victim.

But, if someone doesn't think of it as a disease and that helps them get clean and stay clean, that's awesome. Just keep doing it.

People are different, and treatments are different.
Good point, the important thing is to find what works for the individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Considering what msRB311 just posted, I think the mayor deserves a tiny amount of praise for quickly putting measures in place to keep people from freezing to death on the street. A low bar, maybe, but still a good thing.
It's absolutely a good thing and I wouldn't exactly call it a "low bar." It's a big deal. But it's just one step in the long game and it's hard to say much more than that (good or bad) at this point.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:11 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Quote:
Right. There is zero way someone that doesn't want to get sober will get sober. You can throw all the money and resources you want at it (and plenty of companies under contract to the legal system will make $$ off of it) with nothing positive coming from it.
The other problem with this is the sheer fact that employers are far less apt to hire addicts. I know this because I have a relative that's been addicted for probably 15-20 years. He used to be violent and that's why most employer didn't hire. He'd use, get arrested for possession and be out again..and again.

He's had rehab a few times but he had a heart issue that really limited him. He's working now, that's how tight the economy. The general expectations of work and experience compound with age. It's harder even if sober because you literally have lost years. I'd almost argue sometimes prison is better because at least there's programs there.

You can't have a place enable or let a relapse happen. Group therapy works. AA works and I know people it's saved. But God forbid you have a CA or HA group in a town.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:36 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Like any chronic disease, the person suffering from it is ultimately responsible for continuing their treatments.
That's a well put. You're right bout that. I just have seen too many people who are okay with this being their lifestyle. The alternative scares them more than being an addict and being surrounded by addicts.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:18 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,124,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
That's a well put. You're right bout that. I just have seen too many people who are okay with this being their lifestyle. The alternative scares them more than being an addict and being surrounded by addicts.
Yes, it would mean stepping out of their comfort zone. There is always a portion of the population that is attracted to the seedier side and likes to adhere to its f’up codes of behavior. There lies the irony of people who don’t want to be boxed in, but end up tied down in rigid misery like Dante’s inferno.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:37 AM

5,096 posts, read 2,658,571 times
You're talking about an illness with multi-causal factors including physiological addiction to a chemical. While there is a certain element in some people that involves being comfortable in the dysfunction they have grown accustomed to, it's hardly a conscious choice. Similarly, some people have existing co morbid mental illnesses, combined with addiction.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:08 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times
It will be interesting to see what will happen in JP now that the zombies whose plight was enough to induce enough heartbleeds and tears to create a flood of biblical proportions were relocated to within a striking distance of all the centre st artisanal cruelty-free mustache wax and kombucha shops instead of being contained at the very distant mass&cass, along with all the fentanyl-peddling thugs who ensure zombies stay zombie.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
You're talking about an illness with multi-causal factors including physiological addiction to a chemical. While there is a certain element in some people that involves being comfortable in the dysfunction they have grown accustomed to, it's hardly a conscious choice. Similarly, some people have existing co morbid mental illnesses, combined with addiction.
Indeed. As with any illness or addiction, I suppose rewiring the reward process is the toughest part. It's a long battle, but I think the most success comes from first treating the outlook of the addict. If they are hopeful for the future, the joys of being clean etc. they have a much better chance to do so. Picturing their life as a functional human is powerful. Having the network and peer system to encourage it is the long battle.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
It will be interesting to see what will happen in JP now that the zombies whose plight was enough to induce enough heartbleeds and tears to create a flood of biblical proportions were relocated to within a striking distance of all the centre st artisanal cruelty-free mustache wax and kombucha shops instead of being contained at the very distant mass&cass, along with all the fentanyl-peddling thugs who ensure zombies stay zombie.
The fentanyl pedaling thugs? What about the methadone pedaling thugs ( same as the Narcan pedaling thugs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston