Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 10:01 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,945,748 times

Advertisements

Hi, I hope it's ok to start a new thread about this - my question really has to do with winter driving conditions and commuting from Quincy to Cambridge. This job (if I get it) isn't located right off the T, so I'd have to bus/walk from the T it and the company does offer free parking. Driving might be better.

But...would I regret this in the snow?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 03:05 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,443,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Hi, I hope it's ok to start a new thread about this - my question really has to do with winter driving conditions and commuting from Quincy to Cambridge. This job (if I get it) isn't located right off the T, so I'd have to bus/walk from the T it and the company does offer free parking. Driving might be better.

But...would I regret this in the snow?

Thanks
It's not that big of a deal. Bostonians just call in or show up late if the winter weather is prohibitive -it's generally accepted. Cambridge is about ten miles from Q give or take depending on which part you are coming from / going to. The most direct route is I-93 aka the Southeast expressway. I-93 is never an easy drive at rush hour, but if you travel off rush, use 511, use alternate routes when necessary, and plan, you can do ok. Getting through Cambridge is usually slow going too. The issue here is that from Q-C you are crossing the heart of metro -Boston, the most congested part.

I would think that commute would get old real fast on me. Most Bostonians would suggest if you work in Cambridge, live north of the city, not south like Q. You can do it, it's not a catastrophic decision, but why?

Guessing you're from MIA, it would be like living in Kendall and commuting to North Miami Beach. See what I mean? NBD, but you might rec someone moving there to live in Hallandale instead.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:15 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,945,748 times
Ha! Actually I used to live in Tampa (where I discovered Cuban food)...

I like the idea of Quincy because of the water, the history, and it's more affordable...but I think you're right, and I'm going to look in Somerville instead.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,071,978 times
You can also try Malden.

Don't worry too much about snow. The Boston area does a great job with snow removal unlike cities further south--where you currently live--where one snowflake closes down the entire city!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 PM

26 posts, read 220,387 times
I don't think you have to worry about it all that much, especially since we really don't have that many bad storms here compared to, say, Buffalo or Cleveland.

Quincy is one of my favorite communities in the Boston area. Between the coastal areas, the Blue Hills, the interesting neighborhoods, and the great restaurants, it really is a good place to live, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston