Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2021, 08:51 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times

Advertisements

I have to drive a (usually) short distance from Boston to Medford via Storrow Drive to 93North on Friday December 24; I plan on setting out around 4 or 4:30 pm and need to get to my destination by 6 pm. I've read that traffic is expected to be 155% normal. I have never driven in the actual evening of Christmas Eve (or late afternoon) - how bad do you think it might be? Would it take more than 90 minutes (on a normal day at a time that isn't rush hour, I can make the entire trip in 20 minutes).

It would be very difficult for me to leave before 4 pm; and if I did, my hosts would not be ready and I'd be stuck in my car, in a parking lot somewhere, reading my kindle and using up my battery to keep warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 02:59 AM

12,853 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Where in Boston are you coming from? Unless you’re coming from, say. West Rox, JP, or Hyde Park, I’d say it’s almost a certainty that you’ll be fine even if traffic is awful. And I’d say it’s doable even from those three neighborhoods at rush hour. The thing with Boston -> Medford is that even if traffic is absolutely awful on 93, there will be alternate non-highway routes that can get you to where you need to go within 90 minutes fairly easily. Just use an app like Waze which will account for traffic when selecting a route.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:46 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
4:00 PM on Christmas Eve? Should be no problem.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Where in Boston are you coming from? Unless you’re coming from, say. West Rox, JP, or Hyde Park, I’d say it’s almost a certainty that you’ll be fine even if traffic is awful. And I’d say it’s doable even from those three neighborhoods at rush hour. The thing with Boston -> Medford is that even if traffic is absolutely awful on 93, there will be alternate non-highway routes that can get you to where you need to go within 90 minutes fairly easily. Just use an app like Waze which will account for traffic when selecting a route.
At the risk of sounding stupid, I usually don't do apps; because I'm a relative novice with my smartphone and barely know how to use it. I'd be coming from Storrow Drive (catching it via Brookline).

Old 12-21-2021, 12:53 PM

12,853 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
At the risk of sounding stupid, I usually don't do apps; because I'm a relative novice with my smartphone and barely know how to use it. I'd be coming from Storrow Drive (catching it via Brookline).
It doesn't sound stupid, many people are in a similar boat. Waze is great because it gets real-time traffic info and can recalculate your route accordingly (Google maps and Apple maps have similar features) if there's a faster way to go. Many newer cars have similar features built into their stock navigation systems too (though I've yet to see one as responsive as the apps). But even if you don't want stick to your known route and not bother with navigation systems or apps, it's hard to imagine a Brookline to Medford drive at that time taking close to 90 minutes.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:02 PM

9,878 posts, read 7,209,711 times
I imagine it's going to be a breeze. Since the holiday is on Saturday, most companies will have Friday off so traffic should be extremely light.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:42 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
4:00 PM on Christmas Eve? Should be no problem.
This. The rush was last week. Enough people in Boston have already decamped for the holidays that traffic levels should be fine.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:28 PM

Thanks, everyone. I am feeling a bit less nervous about my travels on Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston