Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 05:39 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times

Advertisements

Folks, this double standard is way more about politics than race imho.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:27 PM

5,105 posts, read 2,663,898 times
Oh, it's all about politics. More specifically, political power and control.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:47 PM

1,041 posts, read 682,834 times
Out of the blue, my wife started talking about this subject about an hour ago. My wife is Indian (from Malaysia) and should we decide to return to the States, she's afraid that our newborn daughter will feel obligated to push her "Brown Pride" and forget about or feel bad about her White side (me).

It's interesting to hear her perspective as someone who only lived in the US for four years and that was 10 years ago. It's very tiring having to walk on eggshells when I'm back in the US because we never know what we are "allowed" to say and what we can't.

Maybe I'm jaded a bit because I haven't been back to the States since 2019 and lockdown boredom has put me on the internet far more frequently than I should be. I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Oh, it's all about politics. More specifically, political power and control.
Oh I agree. Prior to much of this woke nonsense, I found myself walking on eggshells around conservatives and I had to be sure I didn't say anything too critical of the US, the military or other more traditional American customs. Now the left seems to have this control and they're using it to race bait us into a darker place. I don't like it at all.

What kills me about double standards like what we're talking about is they push people like me further away from their causes.

I supported BLM at first because I often felt Black people were dehumanized in wealthier, Whiter communities. I used to be very supportive of trans rights as well. But in both cases, they've gone from lifting up their marginalized communities to creating double standards as a means of control.

I support Black empowerment, but if I disagree with one perspective, I need to sit my White ass down? I want to see trans people live healthy normal lives, but if I question whether it's a good idea to let a ****ing three-year-old choose "their" gender, I'm a transphobe?

When you create a double standard where one group can get away with saying certain words and others cannot, you've lost me and if you've lost me, I'm sure you've lost other people who think similarly to me.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:50 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Of course the ethnicity of the perpetrators weren't mentioned, because most of them were black. If they'd been white, the same people who wouldn't mention the ethnicity of the perpetrators would have been shouting it from the rooftops.

The media definitely tried to create a false narrative that redneck whites were the main perpetrators attacking Asians, but that was never the case. It was just another in the long list of lies that the media has been telling us.

Even the expression "Asian Hate" gets it wrong. It's bad grammar. "Asian Hate" means hatred perpetrated at Asians, not hatred directed at them, by a proper grammatical definition.

The narrative was dropped because apparently it wasn't taking off. Most people apparently figured out that the "white supremacy" aspect of it was a lie, and they probably figured that if they kept it up, negative attention would be directed at the mostly black perpetrators. So the media dropped it. I know how these people operate.
Again, not sure where you picked this up...I certainly did not. It was clear that in some of the most vile attacks caught on camera (SF, for example), that the perpetrators were not white. I don't see that this fact was suppressed anywhere. And again, the idea was (grammar notwithstanding) that it is improper to direct hatred at Asians (or any ethnic group).

Old 12-26-2021, 09:05 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,667 times
Now be honest for a second - how many months of nonstop cnn and msnbc coverage of hate crime of the century would we have instead of a two second blurb on local news with commentary calling it a “random attack with no clear motive,” had the victim been black and the perpetrator been white?

And along the same lines, what would happen if someone dug up some republican’s ten year old tweets about “n***** lips” that he posted a year or two after graduating high school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Again, not sure where you picked this up...I certainly did not. It was clear that in some of the most vile attacks caught on camera (SF, for example), that the perpetrators were not white. I don't see that this fact was suppressed anywhere. And again, the idea was (grammar notwithstanding) that it is improper to direct hatred at Asians (or any ethnic group).

Old 12-26-2021, 09:46 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Now be honest for a second - how many months of nonstop cnn and msnbc coverage of hate crime of the century would we have instead of a two second blurb on local news with commentary calling it a “random attack with no clear motive,” had the victim been black and the perpetrator been white?

And along the same lines, what would happen if someone dug up some republican’s ten year old tweets about “n***** lips” that he posted a year or two after graduating high school?
You persist with "what about-isms" and race-baiting language, just to be able to do a "gotcha" on someone and convince yourself that you're not a racist.

Whatever.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:06 PM

Let's simplify this conversation instead of doing our usual bickering. I have two questions that I think we should try answering to see where we all stand on this issue:

1. Should this woman's past tweets preclude her from working for the mayor of Boston?
2. Would your answer to question 1 differ if this woman were of a different race?

My answers:

1. No. What she tweeted was stupid, but it was ten years ago and if she makes a statement acknowledging (and maybe apologizing) for her stupid tweets, then that should be sufficient.
2. No. Same rules apply across the board.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:13 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Let's simplify this conversation instead of doing our usual bickering. I have two questions that I think we should try answering to see where we all stand on this issue:

1. Should this woman's past tweets preclude her from working for the mayor of Boston?
2. Would your answer to question 1 differ if this woman were of a different race?

My answers:

1. No. What she tweeted was stupid, but it was ten years ago and if she makes a statement acknowledging (and maybe apologizing) for her stupid tweets, then that should be sufficient.
2. No. Same rules apply across the board.
This was a voting-age adult we’re talking about here, not a clueless 12 year old. I guarantee the two racism apologists here would be screaming bloody murder and calling for the poster’s head on a stick if the poster happened to be white. But then again, trump hysteria will take some time to wear off and we’re still living out 1984 in real life, where every enlightened one has fully mastered the art of doublethink.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
This was a voting-age adult we’re talking about here, not a clueless 12 year old. I guarantee the two racism apologists here would be screaming bloody murder and calling for the poster’s head on a stick if the poster happened to be white. But then again, trump hysteria will take some time to wear off and we’re still living out 1984 in real life, where every enlightened one has fully mastered the art of doublethink.
Can you answer the questions I've asked? Let them answer for themselves.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:52 AM

176 posts, read 250,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Asians don't feel any sort of kinship with other minorities. These things aren't going to change anything , it's just reinforcing what they already think.
Look at the reactions to black men assaulting Asian women, like recently in Philadelphia or NYC earlier this year. It's more like "nothing new under the sun" rather than "oh my gosh".

When a hate crime against a minority is committed (or some racial tensions of other kind) only people from that minority + some progressives of any race will come out in protest. Other minorities will not.
The minority kinship idea that progressives love is a fantasy, let's see if they need to wait to get <50% of the votes from Hispanics to realize this. According to polls they will not need to wait long.
Fear not though, rather than saying they were wrong they will just starting say that Hispanics are white so they don't really count as a minority anyway
Can't wait to see this happening with Asians too. At the mayoral election in NYC Sliwa performed best with Asians. Better with Asians than with whites.
Are you Asian? I absolutely feel kinship with other minorities. The comments don't strike me as bothersome, and I think they would if they came from somebody who was white. I think the reason for me is that they're coming from somebody who has also invariable suffered derision for having non-white features. It's not so much lip size/schlong size as much its not-white size as if white was the default. And I'm every bit as American as any white person.

I suspect other minorities feel this kinship as well. Every time there is an African American candidate in a Hispanic district one of the talking points the very serious media concentrates on is whether the brown people will support the black candidate, and vice versa. Every time I've encountered that story line the answer has been yes, and the people who struggle with the minority candidates are white.

There is a toxicity underlying these conversations which claim that minorities are more racist than white people. It's just not the case -- being a minority in this country forces empathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston