Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 09:14 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
In today's racial climate no one should be making racial jokes particularly people in political power. You really think that's ok?
Yes. I think what she said is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 09:20 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Context matters of course. This event has a long history, and comparatively this is very mild.

Might as well just cancel the event entirely if you want to do away with stuff like this.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:25 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Re. "In today's racial climate no one should be making racial jokes particularly people in political power. You really think that's ok?"

Today's political climate is terrible; the racial climate not good but maybe better than in the past. Racism is not as hidden; people are talking about it, taking action against it, while other people are flaunting it. Lots of white people don't want to say anything that would upset anyone (except on the internet) and feel bad about things we've already said but it's probably good to talk about racism, own your own racism, take a risk, make some mistakes. And it's a whole different thing for POC to talk about racism because they're the ones on the receiving end. It's technically possible for Wu or anyone of any color to have racial feelings about whites or blacks or any other group but in the structure of western civilization with centuries of brutal domination by Europeans and by people here of European descent, their personal feelings are just personal feelings, not expressions of racism. The social-political-economic structure favors whites and favors men. The whole post-racial, level playing field idea is a fantasy. Mayor Wu is up against a lot in being both a woman and Asian American in the mayoralty. I'm glad she showed a smidgeon of her frustration in that breakfast speech.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:27 AM

16,359 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Default Re

Quote:
In today's racial climate no one should be making racial jokes particularly people in political power. You really think that's ok?
Quote:
Oh ok well as long as YOU think it’s ok I guess we should all feel better about it.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:55 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
Its funny everyone thinks im being silly when I talk about how some people today are like Nazis

In my lap is literally the book “Europe Against the Jews, 1880-1945” and I’m almost done w it. I just finished two other books on Nazi germany and half way thru a fourth.

Just like the hateful bitter ignorant Nazis, you guys have no clue. The Nazis talked about the “Jewish problem” now we have Wu and the little stormtrooper-in-training hfcolt talking about the “white problem.” Which btw is actually an even more aggressive formulation of the problem than many people had in the 1920s who would speak merely of the “jewish question”
Is your reading comprehension lacking also? Don't put words in my mouth (keyboard)!

Old 03-22-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Oh ok well as long as YOU think it’s ok I guess we should all feel better about it.
If you are easily offended, Maybe the St. Patrick's breakfast is not for you.
I would sure hate for them to cancel such a historic and fun event because of people like you.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:18 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,667 times
Quote:
It's about her hypocrisy, not her comment. Late-night potbanging parties were widely supported and encouraged when the recepient wasn't left of Lenin, but suddenly now they're bad and must be banned?

Quote:
If you are easily offended, Maybe the St. Patrick's breakfast is not for you.
I would sure hate for them to cancel such a historic and fun event because of people like you.
Are you telling me there won't be a collective howl heard 'round the world and a request for immediate cancellation and auto-da-fe if someone jokingly compares comrade chairWumyn to Mao?

Last edited by WestieWhitie; 03-22-2022 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-22-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
It's about her hypocrisy, not her comment. Late-night potbanging parties were widely supported and encouraged when the recepient wasn't left of Lenin, but suddenly now they're bad and must've banned?

Are you telling me there won't be a collective howl heard 'round the world and a request for immediate cancellation and auto-da-fe if someone jokingly compares comrade chairWumyn to Mao?
Maybe we should all just cut the 5h1t with all this cancel culture nonsense? Lead by example, No?
I'm not gunna cry because the mayor made a snowflake joke at the St. Pat's breakfast. Thats childish.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:26 AM

5,105 posts, read 2,663,898 times
Quote:

Absolutely. In the Billy Bulger days of the breakfast anything went, it was a roast atmosphere where people were ridiculed in light-hearted fashion (it wasn't always funny). There were ethnic and religious and political affiliation underscored jokes. We live in different times and joking involving ethnic, racial, or any other identity measures is no longer fashionable nor is it acceptable to the point where people are cancelled or fired from their jobs. That said I don't think her remarks were intended to be based in race. If so, she should know better although unlike many people in her camp I am inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:33 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Absolutely. In the Billy Bulger days of the breakfast anything went, it was a roast atmosphere where people were ridiculed in light-hearted fashion (it wasn't always funny). There were ethnic and religious and political affiliation underscored jokes. We live in different times and joking involving ethnic, racial, or any other identity measures is no longer fashionable nor is it acceptable to the point where people are cancelled or fired from their jobs. That said I don't think her remarks were intended to be based in race. If so, she should know better although unlike many people in her camp I am inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt.
I don't recall specifics (people/dates), but there were, if my memory that far back, some really cutting personal remarks on religion, alcoholism, ethnicities in the 70s / 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston