Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 08:04 AM

23,558 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There was an uptick in graffiti beginning in the Walsh years that I noticed soon after he took office. I had never seen graff'd trains before that and efforts to paint over graffiti in general were slow. From my frequent visits, there are absolutely more homeless/junkies in Boston residential neighborhoods than there were say- 5/7 years ago. Still, the city is cleaner than ever as far as litter and no vacants/abandoned homes.

I really don't think either issue is BPD/Wu and more just housing costs and broader societal changes.

OK glad it's not just me. But it's like BPD has given up on the more petty stuff, which as we have seen in other cities is often the precursor to a larger breakdown. As far as litter, the streets might look OK but it seems the T is dirtier than ever (based on the couple of times I ridden it recently).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 08:05 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
more like $24 sandwich places. Thats the literal list priceprice of a sandwich at Sam LaGrassas.

Meanwhile, you can get Banh Mi for $4.25 (up from $4 5 years ago) on Dot Ave.
Sam's is a little on the pricier side, but they're also big (and good). Most places you can score a sandwich for $10-15 (Mike & Patty's, Flour, etc).

Old 03-24-2022, 08:09 AM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
more like $24 sandwich places. Thats the literal list priceprice of a sandwich at Sam LaGrassas.

Meanwhile, you can get Banh Mi for $4.25 (up from $4 5 years ago) on Dot Ave.
That place is good though. Idk what the prices were last time I was there around 2012. it sure wasn't 24 but it was probably like 12-14 then cos I remember it being high compared to Pavia or Al's

Old 03-24-2022, 08:14 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Sam's is a little on the pricier side, but they're also big (and good). Most places you can score a sandwich for $10-15 (Mike & Patty's, Flour, etc).
you cant justify a $24 sandwich beyond "there are people who pay for it". maybe if its one of those cartoon 4-foot sandwiches Bugs Bunny used to eat.

I'll just stick with the humble $4 banh mi and $1 Haitian Patty down in the slums. When I was super broke I literally survived off of those, and trail mix. If I was feeling fancy Id go to Bos Burger (RIP) River Street Grille in Lower Mills, or the Corner Mall. Glad I'm beyond that- but I don't got Sam LaGrassa money yet.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:16 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
you cant justify a $24 sandwich beyond "there are people who pay for it". maybe if its one of those cartoon 4-foot sandwiches Bugs Bunny used to eat.
And yet they crank out hundreds if not thousands of sandwiches a day (and they're only open till 2:00 PM). Heck, you even got me thinking today might be a good day for a pastrami from Sam's.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:22 AM

23,558 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
And yet they crank out hundreds if not thousands of sandwiches a day (and they're only open till 2:00 PM). Heck, you even got me thinking today might be a good day for a pastrami from Sam's.

I assume you're treating your wife as well? $50 for 2 sandwiches to go. But if that's how you want to spend your money, have at it I guess.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:23 AM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
That's where the bankers go for lunch. I guess if you make 250 an hour that's only about six minutes of your time for that sandwich. Probably lose more money just taking the time to walk there from congress street.

Also tourists/visitors. Normal office workers probably can't justify going there for lunch every day, but if you're exploring downtown on vacation it starts to seem more reasonable

Old 03-24-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OK glad it's not just me. But it's like BPD has given up on the more petty stuff, which as we have seen in other cities is often the precursor to a larger breakdown. As far as litter, the streets might look OK but it seems the T is dirtier than ever (based on the couple of times I ridden it recently).
Yea no you're not wrong. It also seems that Meth and PCP have hit some of Boston's poorer areas in Roxbury and Dorchester. I keep seeing video of people running around naked being crazy there. Tell tale sign of PCP and police reports include methamphetamine pretty often. I've seen a few articles on meth arriving in Boston

Does Massachusetts have a meth? Experts say 'it's huge'.

Meth has taken hold in Massachusetts - The Boston Globe

Boston-area meth distributor hid drug in stuffed bunnies

PCP is very dark and underground and traditionally not really in Boston. It's huge in Hartford though. As well as Bmore and DC. I've learned to spot PCP behavior and some tof the social media videos I see from local hood folks in Boston mirror what Ive seen in DC/Bmore/Hartford.

So if Boston is struggling with some QOL/Street isues Id say its those things. Homeless/Junkies and 1/2 new street drug.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:25 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Sam Lagrassas is always high because it's downtown and they give you a lot more sandwich than the average. That said, their prices have risen dramatically over the last 5 years to the point they are no longer worth it in my view.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You're rich bro, we know this. We get it. You've told us this a few times over the years. I'm sure it's delicious. If I come up in April,I'm contacting you for a sandwich...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston