Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 10:31 AM

3,213 posts, read 2,120,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
It is but their prices suck, you sure as hell won’t be finding any 50-75% off Artc’Teryx. Might as well go to REI instead.
Yeah but those guys are awesome. I have sometimes paid full price for stuff just because I love the people there. Quality guys who know their stuff. and are alway a hoot to talk to. The Central location doesn't have the charm of the old one, but it's still a place I go often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 10:33 AM

3,213 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
That sucks. The one in Harvard had a great selection of pretty unique stuff. And Berk's too. Remember Berk's? RIP

Old 03-25-2022, 06:49 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
What's so wrong with more banks? All right, I don't like the fact that Capitol One's cafe style bank does not dispense coinage. I don't even drink coffee. I go to other banks to pester tellers for JFK half dollars and Eisenhowers .

Old 03-25-2022, 08:20 PM

16,394 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I guess I don’t understand the huge need for more banks. ATMs yes banks no.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:40 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
I thought it was basically like renting out a storefront to make it a billboard. Banks don’t need more locations really, but the more locations people see, the more likely they are to open an account.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:28 AM

9,879 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I guess I don’t understand the huge need for more banks. ATMs yes banks no.
One survey I found reports that 94% of customers prefer using a bank with physical branches. They may go into one rarely but they like the comfort it may provide when opening accounts, dealing with sensitive matters, or simply want to get a free lollipop.

I used to got the bank every Saturday to get money for the week and a roll of dollar coins. The latter was for my wife to pay for parking at the commuter rail station. It was easier to drop four coins into the pay slot than try and get dollar bills in. When they went to the phone app, I stopped going into the bank regularly. Heck, I only go to the ATM once a month as I hardly use cash. But if there's a problem with my account, I know it's easier to go to the branch that sit online trying to resolve it.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:50 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Oh, and PNC bank opened last year near the Verizon store and 7-11. I think it's a branch not just an ATM. Can't recall what was there....Uno pizzeria, maybe?

PNC has opened a few other spots around the region, right? I think I've seen billboards and/or tv ads. From Pennsylvania and in NYC, and various states, but new here.

Oh, and don't forget Chase bank across from the Apple store which is still kind of new.

Not sure if Admiral bank is still in Copley, near Clarendon wine. I think People's bank is around there -- or maybe that replaced Admiral bank.

In Quincy, we lost opposite gas stations, and now replaced with Chase and TD Bank. Another TD Bank opened last year here also. I think Commerce closed as well as Webster Bank here in Quincy. Webster had replaced Citibank.

I still can't believe Panera left Copley, I think shortly after Covid. Not sure if pandemic related, but never even realized it was gone....until I went looking for it!

Old 03-28-2022, 02:01 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Yeah but those guys are awesome. I have sometimes paid full price for stuff just because I love the people there. Quality guys who know their stuff. and are alway a hoot to talk to. The Central location doesn't have the charm of the old one, but it's still a place I go often.
Eh, selection is good but both the space and the people working there are, how shall we put it, a bit rough around the edges. One would normally expect more when dropping $700+ on a jacket.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:19 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Boston needs top-down investment in small businesses and diverse businesses in Downtown Boston. Washington DC is doing it in its neighborhoods. Investing in restaurant construction in underserved neighborhoods using ~$75M in city funds.

Ideally:
  • Insert Daycare into the ground floors of office buildings
  • Convert some offices into housing, provide city incentive as this is very expensive to do
  • Vacancy Tax for older retail vacancies after a 1 year period
  • Provide financial incentives for Black, Latino, Asian, LGBTQ and Women-owned businesses (could be grants, low-interest loans, or tax breaks)
  • Standardized closing times to 12-2 AM. 12 AM shouldn't need special approvals, but businesses can feel free to close earlier.
  • Make Newbury Street a pedestrian-only zone a la Downtown Crossing
  • Encourage Street performers in Downtown Crossing
  • More food CARTS in downtown Boston
  • Reduce any red tape restrictions on storefront music between 9am and 9pm
  • Get better utilization of the basement floor of the Corner Mall. It's a space for dining but it's usually closed and really no one ever goes down there except to use the bathroom. This space could be used for talks/small scale performances by local kids and their groups, even an art gallery
  • More physical Art and murals on city-owned lots and buildings, or vacant buildings
  • Become more freewheeling with special liquor licenses for beer gardens/events .outdoor drinking attached to a bar ( Maybe just on 1 or 2 desolate streets like Bromfield Street: SideBar)

Old 03-28-2022, 03:20 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston needs top-down investment in small businesses and diverse businesses in Downtown Boston. Washington DC is doing it in its neighborhoods. Investing in restaurant construction in underserved neighborhoods using ~$75M in city funds.

Ideally:
  • Insert Daycare into the ground floors of office buildings
  • Convert some offices into housing, provide city incentive as this is very expensive to do
  • Vacancy Tax for older retail vacancies after a 1 year period
  • Provide financial incentives for Black, Latino, Asian, LGBTQ and Women-owned businesses (could be grants, low-interest loans, or tax breaks)
  • Standardized closing times to 12-2 AM. 12 AM shouldn't need special approvals, but businesses can feel free to close earlier.
  • Make Newbury Street a pedestrian-only zone a la Downtown Crossing
  • Encourage Street performers in Downtown Crossing
  • More food CARTS in downtown Boston
  • Reduce any red tape restrictions on storefront music between 9am and 9pm
  • Get better utilization of the basement floor of the Corner Mall. It's a space for dining but it's usually closed and really no one ever goes down there except to use the bathroom. This space could be used for talks/small scale performances by local kids and their groups, even an art gallery
  • More physical Art and murals on city-owned lots and buildings, or vacant buildings
  • Become more freewheeling with special liquor licenses for beer gardens/events .outdoor drinking attached to a bar ( Maybe just on 1 or 2 desolate streets like Bromfield Street: SideBar)
Hustling the hustle as usual homie? You and I know perfectly well why there aren't many businesses in crime-ridden 'hoods but why talk about it when you can just screech REEEEEEE acism as loud as you can and hopefully stuff some of those shakedown dollars in your own pocket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston