Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 05:14 PM

151 posts, read 783,603 times

Advertisements

What happens to people in Boston who wear Mets stuff? I kind of think Mets and Red Sox fans are allies in a way, they both can't stand the Yankees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Actually in the hood they're not really tripping off of things like sports to that degree. I'm from NY and I've spent plenty of time in the hoods of boston during the height of the gang situation where the kids repped their set by sports team and never got confronted on based on wearing NY appearal. Matter of fact at the end of August each year is the West Indian Parade on Blue Hill Ave and you will see the whole place full of NY'ers
So, at the West Indian parade are about 45% of the people wearing Yankees stuff, 45% wearing Red Sox stuff, and 10% other teams stuff?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:27 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,529,899 times
I grew up in NJ. Born there but became a Red Sox fan in 1967. Since then I started getting into the Celtics before the Bird era and then the Pats in 1986 when they all got drugged up and destroyed by the Bears in the Super Bowl.

Today my Mom and her church group know Tom Brady's father quite well.

When I was old enough to drive I made many many trips to Fenway to see my beloved Red Sox. One day Dwight Evans came up to me and shook my hand. Louis Tiant gave me a wink when I gave him words of encouragement one time before they took on the Twins. I seem to remember going just to see Rod Carew play. I always felt safe in the general area of Fenway which is the only place I ever wondered. The taxi drivers are stupid as a box of rocks though.

I also went to Yankee Stadium whenever the Sox came to town. I shut my trap for fear of being stabbed. Remember times were different before Ed Koch cleaned up the streets a tad. If I were to walk the streets of Fort Apache the Bronx I would expect to be stabbed. Those were some dangerous places to walk in the 70s. We were a group of 5 who took the subways to Yankee Stadium and felt safe enough. We always felt safe at Shea where we used to see a day game for a dollar. It took $3 to take the bus to Penn Station and I think another quarter for the subway right to Shea's front door.

Same goes for Madison Square Garden. In the old days when the Knicks were good. Frasier, Bradly, Monroe. Debussure and gang. Damn I hated them. But I would not sit with a Celtics shirt on (and I owned one) while Knick fans were sitting behind me. This is why I am here today to talk about it. Today the Knicks are no longer a rival.....are they?

It is just plain stupid to advertise a competitor in another city. Today is a violent world and you never know when some kook will stick a blade into your heart just because you have a rival teams hat on.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I grew up in NJ. Born there but became a Red Sox fan in 1967. Since then I started getting into the Celtics before the Bird era and then the Pats in 1986 when they all got drugged up and destroyed by the Bears in the Super Bowl.

Today my Mom and her church group know Tom Brady's father quite well.

When I was old enough to drive I made many many trips to Fenway to see my beloved Red Sox. One day Dwight Evans came up to me and shook my hand. Louis Tiant gave me a wink when I gave him words of encouragement one time before they took on the Twins. I seem to remember going just to see Rod Carew play. I always felt safe in the general area of Fenway which is the only place I ever wondered. The taxi drivers are stupid as a box of rocks though.

I also went to Yankee Stadium whenever the Sox came to town. I shut my trap for fear of being stabbed. Remember times were different before Ed Koch cleaned up the streets a tad. If I were to walk the streets of Fort Apache the Bronx I would expect to be stabbed. Those were some dangerous places to walk in the 70s. We were a group of 5 who took the subways to Yankee Stadium and felt safe enough. We always felt safe at Shea where we used to see a day game for a dollar. It took $3 to take the bus to Penn Station and I think another quarter for the subway right to Shea's front door.

Same goes for Madison Square Garden. In the old days when the Knicks were good. Frasier, Bradly, Monroe. Debussure and gang. Damn I hated them. But I would not sit with a Celtics shirt on (and I owned one) while Knick fans were sitting behind me. This is why I am here today to talk about it. Today the Knicks are no longer a rival.....are they?

It is just plain stupid to advertise a competitor in another city. Today is a violent world and you never know when some kook will stick a blade into your heart just because you have a rival teams hat on.
As I mentioned earlier, I've heard some bad stories of stuff happening to Yankee fans in the Boston slums.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,529,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivabigpapi View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I've heard some bad stories of stuff happening to Yankee fans in the Boston slums.
That dont bother me one bit.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That dont bother me one bit.
Why should it? You're a Red Sox fan.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:54 PM

675 posts, read 1,251,452 times
Quote:
So, at the West Indian parade are about 45% of the people wearing Yankees stuff, 45% wearing Red Sox stuff, and 10% other teams stuff?
Maybe 70/30 in New York favor because of just the sheer amount of West Indians flooding in from Brooklyn alone lol. Now I would be WAY more cautious wearing NY gear in the hoods of D.C. because of the long standing drug rivary or in Chicago where they have a natural envy for NY'ers in general. I will say in recent years with the popularity of the Red Sox you will see plenty of boston hats in NY, way more than lets say 10 years ago definitely. Just becareful because in certain hoods in NY wearing a boston hat because that 'B' stands for BLOODS and you wouldn't want to get caught up in any unnecessary nonsense

Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM

199 posts, read 798,864 times
Quote:
What happens to people in Boston who wear Mets stuff? I kind of think Mets and Red Sox fans are allies in a way, they both can't stand the Yankees.

the Mets and Red Sox are allies... kind of like how the US and the Soviet Union were allies in ww2.

Seriously though, people in Boston don't care about the Mets I don't think. 1986 is long forgotten and even then Boston hated their own players for screwing up, rather than hating the Mets.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Maybe 70/30 in New York favor because of just the sheer amount of West Indians flooding in from Brooklyn alone lol. Now I would be WAY more cautious wearing NY gear in the hoods of D.C. because of the long standing drug rivary or in Chicago where they have a natural envy for NY'ers in general. I will say in recent years with the popularity of the Red Sox you will see plenty of boston hats in NY, way more than lets say 10 years ago definitely. Just becareful because in certain hoods in NY wearing a boston hat because that 'B' stands for BLOODS and you wouldn't want to get caught up in any unnecessary nonsense
Are the 30% Red Sox hats? One thing I noticed when I last visited Boston, was that a lot of Hispanics wore Yankees stuff, and a lot of blacks wore Red Sox stuff. Also, are the people wearing Yankee hats the people that come up from Brooklyn to go to the West Indian parade? Btw, the West Indian parade sounds interesting and I'd like to go to it, but with me being white, will I be safe at the West Indian parade?

New Jersey's story about him wearing a Yankee hat (in the Boston hood) and what some locals did to him, and the story about Manny Delcarmen't brother causes me to think that it's unsafe to wear a Yankees hat in the Boston hood, and that the Red Sox are still more popular than the Yankees in the Boston hood. However, just like you think, I also think the Boston hood has the highest amount of Yankee hats in Boston.

I've noticed you seem to see the highest amount of Yankees stuff in the hood in just about every other U.S. city (not just Boston), I think it's that way because the Yankees are a gangster team.

Last edited by vivabigpapi; 06-26-2008 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: make more complete

Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 AM

One Boston team's paraphanalia I hear you'll see everyone in the black neighborhoods wearing is Celtics stuff. From a sports writer in the Boston globe, I hear that you see just about everyone in neighborhoods like Roxbury, the black part of Dorchester, Mattapan, and the black part of Hyde Park in Pierce and Garnett jerseys. He said the people in those neighborhoods really look up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston