Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2023, 03:34 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times

Advertisements

Plan to get tickets for a show at TD when visiting the Cape from NY this summer. Can someone tell me if finding parking is difficult? I noticed that most lots in the parking apps restrict “oversized” vehicles such as ours, a Ford F150.

Don’t want to buy tix only to be aggravated when we get there, as has happened to us in the past.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 08:10 AM

787 posts, read 780,160 times
Or you could park at the Riverside station in Newton and take the green line to North Station.

https://www.mbta.com/schedules/Green-D/line

https://www.mbta.com/stops/place-river

PAYMENT
Payment Methods: Mobile App, Invoice
Mobile app: PayByPhone #4372
Daily fee: Mon-Fri: $6 | Sat-Sun: $3

If you don't mind walking The Cambridgeside Galleria has great parking:

https://www.cambridgeside.com/parking

Plus you get access to a decent bathroom in the Marlowe Hotel. I've parked at the North Station garage as well and saw plenty of trucks there.

https://www.tdgarden.com/plan-your-v...tation-garage/

Old 03-13-2023, 06:54 AM

Thank you Louisville Slugger, this is very helpful!

Old 03-13-2023, 08:00 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
You have some options. A number of the surface lots right around the TD Garden can/do accommodate an F150. This lot, at 37 Merrimac St, for example is one of them. I think 37 Merrimac is a LAZ Parking lot, but there are several others in the area that are cash only and first come, first served. For TD Garden events the rates can be $40+.

Also nearby, the Longellow Place Garage on Staniford St. is large and has a clearance of 6'10 which I think is plenty for an unmodified (not lifted, no roof racks, etc.) F150. To my knowledge there's no restriction on oversized vehicles, and it's a pretty open garage that's fairly easy to maneuver (some are really tight, even if you're not over the height limit) A friend of mine parked his F150 there every day over the course of a few years for a project he was working on next door. I think this lot can be on the pricier side, however ($30-50 for an event evening).

Those are a 5 minute walk away from the TD Garden. Riverside (which was suggested above) definitely checks the easy/cheap parking bucket, but it's almost an hour ride on the Green Line (light rail) transit. And if you're coming from the Cape, Riverside is unnecessarily out of the way. Quincy Adams (which has a massive garage, but also a surface lot section which can accommodate large vehicles) would be similar time on transit, but about 40 minutes less driving round trip. Riverside is probably only a better choice if you're coming directly from NY via the Mass. Pike (and even then, Quincy is closer to the Cape if that's where you're heading after the show). A better park/transit option than either would be to park at Sullivan Square for $9 during the week or $6 on the weekend. It's an easy-to-access surface parking lot directly off of I-93 and you'll have no problem parking your truck there. It's 2 stops (about 5 minutes on the train) on the Orange Line subway from the TD Garden. The (slight) catch here is that if you're coming from the South or West, this is a bit of a backtrack. You'll drive about 2 miles past the Garden coming from either of those directions, but the fairly direct highway access, easy parking for large vehicles, and quick/direct transit connection makes it worthwhile.

If I were in your shoes, I'd do Sullivan Square. If you're more comfortable driving in the city and/or have some familiarity with Boston and don't mind spending more, the Longfellow Place garage would also be a strong option.

Last edited by lrfox; 03-13-2023 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-13-2023, 07:08 PM

Thanks lrfox! I checked out Longfellow Garage, and I love that their site mentions that they accept oversized vehicles and they also take reservations. My husband is driving, so we’re all good. If it were ME doing the driving, Sullivan Square would be my choice since I’m not a fan of driving in unfamiliar cities.

And you’re s right about some garages being very tight. We had quite the adventure at a garage on Gainsborough Street last summer!

Old 03-13-2023, 07:22 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
You could just do what the folks in my parking garage do and park your F150 in a spot marked for compact cars. Bonus points if you park so tight that the person you park next to will need to crawl over the passenger seat to get in! :P

But really, the above are good suggestions.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:46 PM

3,586 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You could just do what the folks in my parking garage do and park your F150 in a spot marked for compact cars. Bonus points if you park so tight that the person you park next to will need to crawl over the passenger seat to get in! :P

But really, the above are good suggestions.
That is just as bad as when I see someone intentionally parked over the line dividing two parking spots.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:58 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Check out the SpotHero app. Have fun.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:40 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Have F150. I wont take it anywhere near Boston with the intention of parking, even at reserved lots. Some of those roads are just tight in that area, unless you come in from New Rutherford Ave and just make a bee-line to the parking lot. A lot of those lots do hold keys, and shuffle cars around, which is another reservation I have about them.

I park at Reading commuter rail station and ride the train into North Station, which is right under the Garden. Get out, enjoy show, get back on train and head out to car.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:51 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Some of you guys are soft. I drive my full size Chevrolet Silverado crew cab in and out of Boston and Cambridge every week and park in a garage. Drove a Toyota Tundra before that. A Nissan Titan before that. Another Silverado before that.

Any parking garage in Boston can handle a standard half ton pickup. If you are lifted or drive a 3/4 or 1-ton truck, you may have an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston