Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:56 PM

5 posts, read 13,344 times

Advertisements

Lexington, Wellesley and one other district have some good programs for kids with asperger's. research.
There is also some kind of special monthly program in lowell, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 12:09 PM

123 posts, read 472,999 times
Certainly check out Brookline. One of the selectmen a few years back had a severely autistic child, and championed the development of resources for special needs kids. When my son was being evaluated for a spectrum disorder the staff at the public school were knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:00 PM

13 posts, read 65,550 times
We are thinking of relocating as well, either a little north- like Burlington which I've heard is good or a little more south like Sharon or Stoughton or Walpole. Does anyone know anything about these districts? I have heard that Brookline is amazing for Autistic Sprectrum kids but it is just too expensive.

Last edited by lauliza; 08-24-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 02:58 AM

5 posts, read 13,344 times
There is a school in Lexington with a well known program. There is a program in Wellesly that is very highly regarded and a third system i can not recall.

I just heard that Fletcher-Maynard (I think that's the school) in Cambridge serves a lot of autistic kids, and K-2 has music 4x per week. (That can be really good.)

Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat13 View Post
Hi New to this road...My son is 6 and going into 1st grade, recently DX. with Asbergers... Does anyone have any information on the Merrimac, MA school systems OT and other services????
I'm in desperate need of getting my 14 year old son who was dx with aspergers 3 years ago. I haven't been getting the results I want for a good education for him. The school doesn't seem to be helping..I'm in Salisbury and my son is at the point that he's getting anxiety from just going to school and it's getting worse. If I get anywhere about how I can do this I will let you know and I ask you that if you find anything that you will let me know?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshells View Post
We are moving to the Boston area and are searching for the ideal school for our son, public or private. He is 6 years old, academically very gifted and has apergers syndrome (an autism spectrum disorder - basically, he does not socialize normally). We think a small, nurturing and supportive environment would be best (as in a private school) but don't know if any would be willing to accept special needs students. Any public schools with great support for special needs? Has anyone had a good experience with a special needs child in Boston area school? Any recommendations? (We were looking at Lexington, Newton, Brookline and Milton)
hi
I would recommend you contact the Arc of mass. and ask them for a reference in the area you are looking for. They have a lot of info and resources.
The Arc of Massachusetts

good luck
julie

Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,684 times
Anyone know a good colledge in ma. Daughter is an a student with asbergers pdd, national honor society ,, a school with great support into computers and animals

Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 PM

133 posts, read 260,832 times
M Barbo, there are a few schools in Massachusetts for kids with LDs or that do well with them. Landmark, which specializes in kids with LDs plus Curry and Dean Colleges. Other schools are decent at accommodations, but probably little support. I have two kids in MA colleges. One gets 50% extra time on tests. The other gets extra time plus a reader and note-taker if requested. He's at one of the best schools in the state and has proven to be quite extraordinary. A friend of his, who has clear symptoms of Aspberger's, just graduated from his school with a perfect average -- at a place where lots of people get Bs and Cs -- in a very hard double major. But, I don't think he gets any support or accommodations. He's just very weak on social skills, misses obvious social cues, tries to steer the conversation to the things he's especially interested in, is a perfectionist (witness grades), and is very bright. So, good things can happen but his issues may be a lot less severe than your daughter's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston