Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Boston: job market, rent an apt, cost of living, culinary school, downtown.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,814 times

Advertisements

Hey, im christina, 20 yrs old...and hoping to move to boston this summer(from out of state), probably late august with my boyfriend and another friend. we are planning on getting a 2 bdrm apartment either in boston (if affordable) or very close for $1200. i'm going to be going to school in cambridge, so if we could live there that would be perfect but not necessary if i can get there easily on the train. we're planning on coming without any cars, so i have a few questions...

-will we be okay without cars, relying on the train to get to work, school, etc? we dont want to have that extra expense if we can avoid it

-are there plenty of available jobs? we're talking strictly entry-level basic jobs just to get us started asap when we arrive? or will we be struggling to find one?

-is it possible to find a decent 2 bdrm apt for 1200? where? how?

-and lastly, on average...how much would you say is cost of living per month for a person who doesnt spend like crazy, but wants to be able to live comfortably and without stressing all the time?

any help, advice, etc would be GREAT. thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
what school will you be going to? Harvard, MIT, and Lesley are all w/in walking distance of a red line T stop. not sure what other schools are located in Cambridge off the top of my head, but don't think they'd be accessible via the red line. parts of Cambridge are really only accessible by bus (slight OT question: are they still planning to extend the green line through Union Sq into Medford?). knowing what school you'd be attending would help. even w/ a bus ride factored in, you should be fine w/o a car. you could sign up w/ the ZipCar program to rent a car as needed for shopping trips/excursions outside the city

$1200 for a 2 bedroom will be close to impossible in the city. that's the average going rate for a one bedroom. you may find a 2 bed at that price in places like Lynn, Revere, Chelsea, or Quincy, but only the latter would be truly convenient going into some parts of Cambridge (1 seat ride on the red as opposed to using a combination of buses and trains). your best bet would be to check Quincy, but even that may be out of your price range. you'll also need to factor in utilities. finding a 2 bed w/ heat included for $1200 will be a long shot!! w/ the price of gas and oil rising, you'd do well to find a place w/ heat included, but it will be hard w/ that budget. you could get a 1 bedroom split (basically turn the living room into a bedroom. this works well if the living room has a door and especially if the apartment has a dining room) for that price though.

cost of living is very high in Boston. very, very few young people live alone; most shack up w/ roommates to keep costs low. to keep costs lower, take advantage of the T and programs like Zipcar which provides the gas and parking fees w/in the rental costs.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,814 times
well, im going to be going to le cordon bleu culinary school in cambridge. and for the three of us, 1200 would be for rent only, i wasnt including cost of utilities. with utilities, we could afford 1400 or so. is quincy a nice place to live? easy to get to cambridge/downtown boston?

Old 06-11-2008, 06:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina8305 View Post
well, im going to be going to le cordon bleu culinary school in cambridge. and for the three of us, 1200 would be for rent only, i wasnt including cost of utilities. with utilities, we could afford 1400 or so. is quincy a nice place to live? easy to get to cambridge/downtown boston?
Yeah, Quincy is nice enough - it's just kinda quiet and boring. It has a pebble beach that's okay for sitting out in the evening or drinks or fried food. It also is near a good beach called Nantasket. It lacks the glamour of Back Bay or Cambridge, but like eevee said, it's and easy commute via Red Line directly into downtown or Cambridge.

You might also try looking in Allston - you might prefer it cuz it's more happening collegey. If you're only gonna be here for the summer, you might find a deal on a sublet from some full time students who want to go home for the summer. Try sublet.com.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:32 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times
If you stick with Boston.com you'll be able to get the Sublet.com as well, on that same site.

For your price range, I just saw one on Boston.com that sounded pretty good. It was even a 3 bedroom instead of a 2 for $1200 @ Eagle Hill, which is in East Boston. You'd be able to get to Cambridge in seconds from there. Just take the blue line to State Street & switch over to the red line. Check out the 16th page of the listings for this particular rental on there. This one was right before the sublets started listing...

Good luck, you'll find one right in Boston, it'll take a little time that's all. Every so often a few in that price range pop up, so watch this site carefully. Just make sure you do your homework with what it looks like! This one had a decent updated kitchen & bath, that's what you want to make sure you have for that type of $$ you're paying! Some of the owners can be "cute" when they're renting, so pay attention to what it looks like! Stick with one of these neighborhoods, East Boston, Charlestown, South Boston, the North End. For OUT of Boston? Definitely Quincy for a fact, it would be ideal getting to the red line for you! May be on the opposite side of the city you could check out Somerville, Medford, Malden or Everett too for alternatives; but I'd be very suprised if they'd be anything in that price range, but hey, you never know! I think I'd stay clear of Allston area myself, but that's just me, I just never cared for that part of the city at all. Hopefully you'll find what you need right in one of the neighborhoods I mentioned. Now is the time to get something as a done deal, before the madness begins in August & September!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:07 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
If you stick with Boston.com you'll be able to get the Sublet.com as well, on that same site.

For your price range, I just saw one on Boston.com that sounded pretty good. It was even a 3 bedroom instead of a 2 for $1200 @ Eagle Hill, which is in East Boston. You'd be able to get to Cambridge in seconds from there. Just take the blue line to State Street & switch over to the red line. Check out the 16th page of the listings for this particular rental on there. This one was right before the sublets started listing...
umm, the commute from East Boston to Cambridge is a HECK of a lot longer than "a few seconds". there is NO direct connection between the blue line and the red (not unless they OK'd that plan to connect them via Charles/MGH in the 10 months I've been gone from Boston). even if the area the OP is going to in Cambridge is right near the red line, the OP would have to take the blue line to Gov't Center, then take the green to Park St, then take the red line into Cambridge. or, take the blue line to State, leave the station, walk a few blocks to Downtown Crossing or Park St, pay again, then take the red. or, if the location is w/in easy access of the Lechmere green line stop, the OP would have to transfer at Gov't Center to take the green to Lechmere (and, out of the 4 trolley lines, there's only one that goes there). honestly, the cheap rents in East Boston may not be worth the hassle of a longer commute and multiple transfers (I have no clue where this school is, but what if the OP has to take a bus to school? or has to take a bus to school and a bus to the blue line?). the OP would be better off living on the red line, in Cambridge, or, if the school is near Lechmere, on the green E line (or any green line I suppose, though the E would be best and throw in JP as a somewhat viable option)

I checked out craigslist and was surprised that there are some choices out there for 2 bedrooms at $1200. I've rented a 2 bed at that price and it was very small and not that great, but maybe prices have gone down since (can't imagine that being the case, but who knows). personally, I'd rather take a nice large 1 bedroom and turn it into a split than cram 3 people into a small 2 bedroom apartment. you may luck out and find a 1 bedroom w/ a dining room, or you may just opt to live w/o a living room.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:30 PM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times
I don't remember it being that complicated when I went to school in Cambridge where I did it every morning & every night. We had to take the orange line from Community College and we got off at Downtown Crossing and walked downstairs to pick up the red line. Simple as that. So from East Boston it's the blue line right? Just get off at State Street though, which is one stop before Downtown Crossing and take the orange line the one stop to Downtown Crossing and walk downstairs to pick up the red line for Cambridge. It's really no big deal that way instead of transferring here there and every where else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston