Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:30 AM

47 posts, read 220,901 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in northern CA, and recently moved out here. It's a great city, a major change, and I love it!!
I've been here for 4 months now, and only recently have I had someone tell me they don't like Californians. I have no idea why. I think part of it may be that we were at a beer fest, he was really drunk, and he didn't know me. Mainly I just think he was stupid
If you're concerned about how you will be treated as a native Californian, maybe you shouldn't move anywhere. Seriously. You should be proud of where you are from, and if someone doesn't like it, screw them. I have found that there are so many people from all over here, and no one really cares where you were born. People are people, right.
But, yes. you must lose the Valley Girl accent! I too used "like" and other Valley Girl words when I was a teenager, and one of the best things my father & friend's mother could have done was yell at me every time I talked like that. As others have said, the Valley Girl accent just makes you sound dumb and people may not take you seriously - especially as you get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 AM

118 posts, read 480,040 times
hi there! but our attitude probably isnt that bad considering that the san diego chargers fans booed out a poor lil girl at a patriots/chargers game. but i live in orlando, fl now and i'm originally from boston and i found out the ppl down here seem more rude, maybe because its not as racially diversed as boston or cali. southern ppl think northerners are rude but we arent, we just tell u how it is and are more upfront. dont get me wrong we do come off with alittle bit of attitude but its just our way of nature, well atleast some ppl think so. its not like we are doin it to be an ass. its just the way some of us are. but u know ive met some cali ppl and they do like our accents and attitude. i'm actually saving up so i can move to cali. i love boston and everyone i know lives there. but i dont think i can do anymore winters up there.
also boston is really diversed and since we have the best schools and hospitals u always get so many different ppl from all across the world there. but i dont think u should have a problem. its the least u should be worried about. u should be more worried about the cost of living and the winters more than anything.....

Old 06-27-2008, 09:18 AM

40 posts, read 160,001 times
I am now living in the SFV (San Fernando valley). I can hardly wait to move back to MA. I find people here incredibly rude and unfriendly. The first thing that they ask me is; "Where are you from?" The East Coast accent does not set well with them. Also, the drivers here are very rude....in Boston, we cut off people and make "chicken" turns while turning left, it is an accepted way of driving. Here, if you try to break into traffic (sorry, I am not going to sit for 10 mins to make left turn against traffic)...they will not let you in, and honk honk honk like they own the road.
Everywhere I lived in MA, the neighbors always waved and came up to us and introduced themselves (and I lived in Revere a long time)....no such thing in SoCal. But, I just think that it has to do with heavy congestion of people, it is like the well known study on rats. Because I now hate crowds and have done the city thing....when I come back to MA, probably will look outside 495, not sure yet..have even thought of Maine perhaps.
Please GOD help me, I do not want to die in LA.

Signed,
Lover of all things New England!!
P.S I have had problems driving here, cannot comform to the absolute control they try and have over ya here....I find CA to be such a police state

Old 08-07-2008, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,993 times
Cool Boston vs San Diego

I grew up to Boston, moved to Poway, CA at 16 and absolutely hated it! I tried my best to try to appreciate it's finer qualities, but it wasn't till I moved to London, England that I realised why I didn't get on with California. People in Boston and London are more reserved, but the upside is that when you do finally make freinds, you've got friends for life. There is more similarity between Boston and London than Boston and San Diego. I couldn't stand the transiece of Southern Cal friendships. I like neighborhoods where generations of families have lived for years. San Diego had such a culture of real estate specualtion that people never committed to getting too close to the community, because they alway knew they were planning to move on anyway. I still have loads of good, close friends I knew from about the age of 5 living in Massachusetts. We actually stay in touch The amount of friends I have still living in Poway is.....(gulp!) Zero.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,994 times
Default Boston is a real COLD place...

I made a mistake to move here from PA. Bostonians are not real Americans. Majority of the people you'll meet will be cold-blooded robots.

By "robots", I mean they are emotion-less and mechanical and functional beings. For instance, if you take a T (subway), no one will talk to anyone unless they already know each other. If you strike up conversation with a stranger, people all become curious and listen, but of course, pretend not listening because they would avoid any eye contact.

If they see something wrong with you, instead of telling you in kind, majority of them will giggle with their friends to make fun of you. However, as soon as you look at them, they turn their faces away.

That being said, if you are super good at coming up with proper ice-breakers and manange to look natural, you may do just fine with meeting or talking to people. However, that requires some training in acting because after you've lived here for a while, you'll become as cold and reserved as they are - Very hard to be your natural self.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:17 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,242 times
Who cares what your friends are saying. People in Boston are fast paced, and mind their own business. They can be rude. Some are nice.

I say do it. Life's too short to not experience the world. You're an adult, you can handle it. When you get out there, it will seem crazy at first. But it's an awesome city. I've lived all over the country, including California, and Boston is my favorite place of them all.

To give you some perspective, I'm from Iowa. A very conservative, slow paced, everybody talks to everybody kind of place. Boston was my first real move away from home. I loved every second of it.

I wouldn't change anything about yourself. Your a valley girl, period. Don't change who you are just to please other people, or "fit in". I certainly woulnd't.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:02 PM

233 posts, read 368,654 times
I moved to Boston from CA many years ago and it was uneventful in terms of people's response. many former Californians live in Boston. There are people from all over the world living in the area -boston is one of the leading immigration cities in the US I believe - so coming from CA will not be anything unusual.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:47 PM

103 posts, read 358,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergizedBunny View Post
I made a mistake to move here from PA. Bostonians are not real Americans. Majority of the people you'll meet will be cold-blooded robots.
Wow. Just wow.

Now I really hate to say this, but if you're trying to strike up conversations with strangers on the subway, and you're posting in a web forum on a Saturday night, you might be the one who is off a bit socially.

We're a fun bunch. Really.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:45 PM

350 posts, read 653,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicad View Post
I'm 22 years old and I currently live in San Diego. Lately, I've been seriously considering moving to Boston in the next two years.
I know Bostonians are sometimes thought of as cold and rude, but I think they're just feisty.

How can I expect to be treated, coming to Boston as a Southern California girl? Unfortunately, my valley-girl accent does slip out from time to time but I can't help it

All my friends are discouraging me from moving to the east coast, saying that those mean Bostonians will eat me alive basically.

I know this is kind of a silly question, but all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
I love Boston and find it the closest thing in the US to a European city. It is intense, and the people may sometimes come across as curt, but once you make a friend here, it is for life. I have mates from this area I regard as brothers and sisters.

The people tend to be progressive and well-educated and you can go to any pub and have lively conversations - because Bostonians tend not to be guarded in what they say (unlike in the Midwest - where the talk is about sports, children and not much else - apparently because no one wants to offend anyone else). They are independent and tough minded, nothing like them in the world - except maybe New Yorkers!

Old 08-25-2008, 11:56 PM

118 posts, read 480,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston mark View Post
Wow. Just wow.

Now I really hate to say this, but if you're trying to strike up conversations with strangers on the subway, and you're posting in a web forum on a Saturday night, you might be the one who is off a bit socially.

We're a fun bunch. Really.

---- yeah that is wat i think also. plus i think BOSTONIANS or anyone from the northeast like new yorkers, new jersey and bostonians have the most american pride in the whole usa. in case u didnt know some important events in AMERICAN history was made in the boston area and we take pride in our history and culture oo and sports teams. sorry the only thing philly has is the hershey factory, the bell and cheese steaks going for them. cant say much for the sports team though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston