Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 26,010 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to Cambridge for a new job on 7/1 and I just got a place right on Mass. Ave. about 1/2 mile north of Porter Square and a very short walk to Davis. I have two questions:
1. I feel like this is a very safe area, even to be walking around alone at night. Is this true? Are there any areas I should be cautious about?
2. Can anyone give me an idea of some cool places to hang out? I'm 28, love live music, talking with random people and more relaxed bars with some atmosphere and genuinely nice people.
Thanks, any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated! I'm really looking forward to the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 04:32 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Davis isn't too great for live music, but if you head over to Central Sq there are shows at the Middle East and TT The Bear's frequently.

If you're into Irish music the Burren in Davis has a band that (I think) plays nightly? I know they were there during a stretch of time when it was the de facto "we have nothing to do" Friday nights. People's Republik may be near your house as well, that bar rules. No music or anything, but it's a good place to go with a couple of friends, toss some darts, and drink some brews.

If you can be more specific with the types of music you're into I could probably suggest a couple other places.

I also much prefer the nightlife in the Cambridge area over the Boston area. Waaaay chiller and the number of "yah doodz" decreases tremendously.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 26,010 times
Thanks for the reply...yeah, that's why I wanted to go with Cambridge (that and it's closer to work in Woburn).

As far as the types of music: I'm looking for rock, acoustic rock, jam...things like that. A fun atmosphere that draws a nice but interesting crowd. I also heard about this place in Porter Sq. called Toad (or something like that, it's next to Christopher's Pub/Restaurant). Any thoughts???

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 AM

26 posts, read 221,199 times
It is mostly safe around there, especially in the areas between Porter and Davis. As far as nightlife, some places I personally like include Toad, which is pretty quirky with folk, jazz, blues, etc., and The Burren, which is a good place to hear Irish entertainment or rock.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Toad is okay, though it's not really my scene it's worth checking out. It's too small/load though if you're looking to interact with people.

The Cantab is in Central Sq. if you want a weird scene go there. They have a Bluegrass night (Tuesdays I think) that's actually pretty fun based on what I remember. It's a pretty decent dive/neighborhood bar as well.

If you want some Jazz/Funk go to Wally's. It's downtown, and small (get there early if you want a seat) but the music rules.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:38 AM

41 posts, read 308,513 times
Central Square! Lots of bands and DJs etc.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 9,035 times
Hello,

My name is Himanshu and I am currently residing in New Delhi, India... I am moving to Cambridge (Harvard Square) later this year for work. Could anyone recommend good, safe and affordable (upto $1000 for an apartment - studio or one bedroom) residential areas around Harvard Square?

Further, what is the average cost of living (on a monthly basis) for a single guy?

Many thanks

Old 06-21-2008, 10:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
What about Johnny D's for music in Davis? Is that place not there any more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston