Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 AM

31 posts, read 205,155 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was hoping that I could get some advice about the best area to commute from to work in Boston. We are relocating to Massachusetts and are looking to buy a 3-bedroom house, under 400K, with good schools, low-crime (maybe all this for under 400K is just a dream? I hope not). I have been looking over some statistics and there are some towns North and South of the city that look like they might fit the bill. However, my memory (I am originally from MA) is that the commute into Boston from the North and South is much more difficult than from the West. Is this true? I am wondering if, for example, the 20 mile commute from Essex into Boston, is in fact worse than the 34 mile commute from Westborough? This is just an example-- but what do folks think? Is the mileage misleading? What should I be thinking about when I consider commute into Boston? I am familiar with the T and commuter rail, but want to have the option to drive.... Thanks so much for any input you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 07:41 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katezli View Post
Hello,
I was hoping that I could get some advice about the best area to commute from to work in Boston. We are relocating to Massachusetts and are looking to buy a 3-bedroom house, under 400K, with good schools, low-crime (maybe all this for under 400K is just a dream? I hope not). I have been looking over some statistics and there are some towns North and South of the city that look like they might fit the bill. However, my memory (I am originally from MA) is that the commute into Boston from the North and South is much more difficult than from the West. Is this true? I am wondering if, for example, the 20 mile commute from Essex into Boston, is in fact worse than the 34 mile commute from Westborough? This is just an example-- but what do folks think? Is the mileage misleading? What should I be thinking about when I consider commute into Boston? I am familiar with the T and commuter rail, but want to have the option to drive.... Thanks so much for any input you might have.

Lets see I commuted into Boston from Lowell, MA (north of boston) for 6 years, commuted to boston from Medway, MA (not very long just a few months) and commuted to boston from Lakeville, ma (southeastern ma) for 5 years. I prefered the commute from Lakeville. I felt like I had more options on how to get "into the city". The mass turnpike was terrible (especially on the way home) and the same was true for 93. The one nice thing about commuting from the lowell area was i could take the back roads to alewife T station and take the red line into work (at that time I worked in Harvard Sq so it was a nice little commute on the T). On some days while commuting in Lakeville I would drive up to the University Ave commuter stop just off route 95 and take the train into work (saved me about 20 minutes doing this) or I would just drive to Quincy T station and take the T the rest of the way. I also learned how to drive the back roads from Braintree into the city.

I wouldn't spend too much time on miles because in some cases it's not the miles it's the number of people from the area. Lowell is much closer to Boston than Lakeville is and there were many times it took much less time from Lakeville than from lowell. I would look at towns that give you the most options. I hope this all helps.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:06 PM

9 posts, read 72,243 times
Hi -

Were is Lakeville located near?

I want to come into Boston at South Station via train for Gillette?

Humm, Should I consider something on the Red line like Belmont?
Doesw anyone know much about it?

Thanks,
Cary

Old 01-16-2007, 03:46 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
Taking the red line via Alewife is an option. It is a much short ride compare to Franklin (via Commuter rail). However, housing prices in Belmont is very high. Single family home starts at $400K. Condo start $280K.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:36 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
Hi -

Were is Lakeville located near?

I want to come into Boston at South Station via train for Gillette?

Thanks,
Cary
Lakeville is part of southeastern mass. it is near Bridgewater, Taunton and Raynham (these are the major towns surrounding it). There is a train station in Lakeville that goes into South Station (an hour commute by train). Lakeville is off Route 495 (Exit 4, 5 or 6 Exit 7 is route 24 which is what you take to go into the city). Quincy is where you access the red line (Quincy Adams T station - goes into south station) is just under a half hour's drive from Lakeville up Route 24.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Anyone else?

Surfing, thank you for your reply. I appreciate hearing about your experiences with commuting. Cary, sorry I don't know an answer to your question. Does anyone else out there have experience commuting into Boston that he/she could share? Again, I am trying to get some advice on which area (north, south, or west) is the easiest commute into Boston and whether mileage is truly representative of the time it takes to get into the city. Thanks so much!

Old 01-16-2007, 04:42 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,333 times
You are correct in your theory. Mileage is NOT a good representative of commute time. Essex to Boston is probably a solid hour and a half. I drove from Salem, MA to South Station area today and it was an hour and 15 minutes easily.

Despite what you hear- the MassPike offers the best commute. I would target communities off of the Pike.

I have tested 95/93/495/90.

93 is probably the worst overall.

Good luck. I'm currently looking in the Westborough area as well. Being farther out also allows you to get more house for the money!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:30 AM

Thanks, NY'er-- your message was very helpful. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:40 AM

18 posts, read 65,715 times
lakeville freetown assonet are beautiful back road towns. If you like "country living" it is a great place. you can probably get some really nice properties for under $400k. i'm not too familiar with the schools maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:10 AM

9 posts, read 72,243 times
Hi -

Thanks for letting me know where Lakeville is located. I appreciate it.
My lovely wife and I have listed are property and are tentatively thinking about living in an ADULT COMMUNITY or disabled living quarters. I think that is what you call it. Ya know, Housing authority of a town etc. Senior living.
Remember I have a service/site dog. Transportation is needed i.e., commuter rail. I will look more into the MBTA Ride as Smarty suggested too. Does anyone know of Adult Communities near the Franklin area?

Appreciative,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston